C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC Front License Plate Bill

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
will007
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Front License Plate Bill

This was posted on E46fanatics.com, thought I would spread the word for all of us NC guys here...

Many of you may not be aware, but there is currently a bill in the NC Senate proposing the addition of front license plates for all vehicles. Our local forum, www.nceuro.org is organizing a petition to try and kill this bill before it gets passed. We would like all the help we can get from anybody who opposes the addition of a front plate. Please visit our thread for more information - http://nceuro.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6820

Here is the pertinent information and how you can help us. Any help would be greatly appreciated, please spread the word

What you will find in this thread is information related to stopping a proposed bill that would require NC residents to have front license plates. You can find the bill here. There is a short story on NBC17 news and a video here.

Many of the members at nceuro are opposed to the bill becoming law and ask for your help to stop it. The bill was proposed by Senator Janet Cowell and is now sitting in the Transportation committee of the NC Senate. Below you will find the contact information of the members of the NC Senate Transportation Committee. If you oppose this bill, please help us in contacting the members of the Transportation Committee and let your voice be heard in a respectful manner. If you can, please call, email and fax your opinions to the Senators as there is no way to know which Senators use what medium as their preferred form of communication.

If you do not have a fax machine, please try a free fax service such as FaxZero. Here you can send a fax for free from your desktop. You can take the one of the prepared statements below and upload it right to faxzero. Please feel free to cut and paste one of the prepared letters and make it your own, these just represent the opinions of a couple of members on our forum. If you prepare your own statement, please show due care and professionalism so the the State Senators will pay close attention to our desire to kill this bill.

Letter One (be sure to edit it to reflect the appropriate recipient)
Download MS word version here

Dear Senator,

As a concerned resident of North Carolina, I am in strong opposition of NC Senate Bill 673 proposed by Senator Janet Cowell on 3/12/2007 that would require dual license plates on vehicles. I urge you as a member of the Transportation Committee to kill this proposed bill in committee, and to vote down any bill that would require dual license plates in committee or before the full membership of the North Carolina Senate. This is a polarizing issue for myself and other citizens who feel it threatens our freedoms and North Carolina’s long history of being a one plate State for the reasons listed below:

I. A dual plate requirement is duplicative, and would cause an unneeded additional cost to taxpayers by increasing registration taxes or diverting other budgeted money to fund additional plate stamping, coloring and mailing. It is appalling that one would even consider levying additional taxes or diverting money for this bill when the 540 beltline is unfinished and other transportation projects are badly needed to alleviate traffic congestion due to population growth in NC.

II. A front license plate would damage private property of most of the citizens of North Carolina whose vehicles are not designed for a front license plate. New vehicles are not designed for a front license plate, and to become compliant with this bill would require drilling into the front bumper of a vehicle. This lowers resale value of the vehicle since front plates are unsightly.

III. Currently, many out of State automobile buyers pay North Carolina taxes to purchase a vehicle in our State as the vehicles do not have unsightly holes drilled into the front bumper of the vehicles. By adopting a front plate, North Carolina would forfeit this revenue.

IV. Front license plates provide no value at night, as there are no vehicles equipped with lights to illuminate the front license plates. Automobiles already have reflectors on the front bumper, and a front license plate provides no extra benefit. If we are going to provide law enforcement officers another tool to assist them in doing their job, there are much more effective and better ways to augment the tools available to law enforcement officers than a front license plate that is only seen during the day.

V. Front license plates would raise insurance premiums, as there would be an increased cost associated with replacing the front license plates after minor bumper accidents since license plates are not designed for a front bumper like they are in the rear.

Thank you for your time, and I sincerely hope I can count on you to oppose dual license plates in North Carolina.

Letter Two (be sure to edit it to reflect the appropriate recipient)
Download MS word version here

Dear Senator,
I am writing to express my opposition to Senate Bill 673, as proposed by your colleague, Senator Janet Cowell of Wake County. I believe I speak for many of my fellow constituents and auto enthusiasts statewide when I say that the single most aesthetically-displeasing element one may add to the front of a vehicle is a license plate. Regardless of whether the vehicle is new or old, requiring the addition of a front plate is simply a bad idea. Furthermore, I see no benefit that could come from having a plate on the front of a vehicle along with the one currently required to be displayed on the rear. Even from a law-enforcement standpoint, the benefit I believe is nominal as compared to the cost of implementing what amounts to such a bad idea. If I may, I'd like to question from where the funds would be sourced in order to implement the program and to produce the additional plates, and what the total additional cost might be? I can't believe this can be accomplished without raising vehicle registration fees, or robbing from an already overburdened highway trust fund. Also, is the State going to pay for the bracketry required to secure the plates to the front of my 3 vehicles? None of them currently has a proper mounting bracket affixed to the bumper or anywhere else on the vehicle, as it is currently not required, and therefore wasn't supplied with the vehicle when new. I can't imagine I'm alone in this situation. The costs to the State and to the public in order to conform to this bill, if it is passed into law, would be overwhelming. North Carolina's gas tax is already one of the highest in the United States, and this amounts to nothing more than an additional cost to operate a motor vehicle on our roads. I realize that is a privilege, but so is the honor of representing your constituents. I hope that you realize, as I do, that North Carolina's citizens do not need to be further burdened with this form of government regulation.

Respectfully,

Here are the members of the Transportation Committee and their contact information. I know it will take extra time, but it will be well worth it to send this to every member of the committee. If you are limited on time, please send it to the chair and vice-chairs' and at least one member of both political parties. I would avoid sending a mass email with everyone listed on it as it may be seen as SP*M or will lack the personalization needed to get the point across. Please take some time and exercise your rights as citizens to do something about this bill before it is passed.

Chairman
Senator Larry Shaw (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-9349
Email: Larrys@ncleg.net
(910) 433-2522 (FAX)

Vice-Chair
Senator Steve Goss (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-5742
Email: Steveg@ncleg.net

Vice-Chair
Senator Clark Jenkins (Dem)
Phone: (919) 715-3040
Email: Clarkj@ncleg.net

Members
Senator Austin M. Allran (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5876
Email: Austina@ncleg.net
(828) 324-0498 (FAX)

Senator Phil Berger (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5708
Email: philbe@ncleg.net
(336)623-2023 (FAX)

Senator Harry Brown (Rep)
Phone: (919) 715-3034
Email: Harryb@ncleg.net

Senator Janet Cowell (Dem)
Phone: (919) 715-6400
Email: Janetc@ncleg.net

Senator Don East (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5743
Email: Done@ncleg.net

Senator W. Edward (Eddie) Goodall (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-7659
Email: Eddieg@ncleg.net

Senator Malcolm Graham (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-5650
Email: Malcolmg@ncleg.net

Senator Neal Hunt (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5850
Email: Nealh@ncleg.net

Senator John H. Kerr III (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-5621
Email: Johnk@ncleg.net
(919) 734-4215 (FAX)

Senator Jean Preston (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5706
Email: Jeanp@ncleg.net

Senator Joe Sam Queen (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-3460
Email: Joeq@ncleg.net

Senator John Snow (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-5875
Email: Johnsn@ncleg.net

Senator Richard Stevens (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5653
Email: Richards@ncleg.net

Senator A. B. Swindell (Dem)
Phone: (919) 715-3030
Email: abs@ncleg.net
(252) 459-4385 (FAX)

Senator Jerry W. Tillman (Rep)
Phone: (919) 733-5870
Email: Jerryt@ncleg.net

Senator David F. Weinstein (Dem)
Phone: (919) 733-5651
Email: Davidw@ncleg.net
(910) 608-0034 (FAX)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5679729
Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Another set of folks who might end up with unwanted front plates ... don't be surprised if this is moved to SFOT or PR&C
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...license+plates

Last edited by Sven; 03-17-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
wewing
Burning Brakes

Yes, I can't believe it is my silly State Senator Janet Cowell who is sponsoring the legislation. I sent her an email with my two cents yesterday. Hopefully enough people will let these politicians know that we don't want or need their wasteful un-necessary front license plate on our cars.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I find it interesting that when listing all the negatives of the front maker plate system the two biggest negatives were left off.
1. Greatly increases stolen plate problems. Easy to lift the front plate and not have it be noticed for quite some time. People here would notice but they aren’t your average motorist.
2. Greatly increases the use of idiots using 1 plate between 2 vehicles.

Some brain-dead morons are willing to take the chance of not having to pay reg or insurance on a 2nd POS vehicle. Old pickups are prime example. They might only use it once a week (or less) as example to take the garbage to the landfills. Why bother to get it licensed? Unless they get stopped or have an accident (to late then) the chance of getting caught is small. The state is then forced to crack down on ALL vehicles to insure the plate belongs to the proper vehicle. Now the state creates a lot of very pizzed off citizens! Over the years we’ve had many instances of this happen in the inner cities in CT. I suspect it's common else where too. With illegal alien problems what better way to get 2 vehicles on the road without paying insurance, reg, taxes etc? If states are actually serious about identifying vehicles start using a very small marker ID that can be scanned while moving. We are already using something similar in the trucking industry with excellent results. I also believe a few countries in Europe are using it. There are much better ways to get positive ID’s on vehicles then a front marker plate!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wewing
Yes, I can't believe it is my silly State Senator Janet Cowell who is sponsoring the legislation. I sent her an email with my two cents yesterday. Hopefully enough people will let these politicians know that we don't want or need their wasteful un-necessary front license plate on our cars.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone MUST call the phone nos. you supplied and EMAIL the State Senators OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I will be moving to Cary, NC in 3 mths.

Thanks- CarlV-Cary,NC
Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 AM
KenC6
Burning Brakes

How about it's a waste of natural resources too.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:57 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I honestly believe todays politicians don't do anything for anyboby but themselves. Vote, vote, vote....
Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, the moment this bill goes through is the moment I become a dedicated lawbreaker... and if I get a ticket I'll just switch my plates to GA.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info Will007. I will pass it on to our the members in Eastern Carolina Corvette Club and see that other car clubs in the State get the information. Just another way for other law makers to increase our taxes. They (she) should be spending her time on more important issues and leave well enough along.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What exactly is the argument for front license plates? So cops can read the plate on a car that comes straight at them? More revenue for the state in increased registration prices using the second plate as an excuse to charge more? I don't get it...
Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NOT vote for any official that would vote yes on this bill. What a moronic waste of time,money and effort on all concerned. Front plates provide NOTHING. This info needs to be passed on to all car owners in NC, not just here on the vette forum. I'm sure Viper,Lambo,Mercedes, Aston,and Ferrarri owners would like to catch wind of this as well.......
Old 03-18-2007, 02:44 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
What exactly is the argument for front license plates? So cops can read the plate on a car that comes straight at them? More revenue for the state in increased registration prices using the second plate as an excuse to charge more? I don't get it...
Not the cops reading it but all the new automated speed and red light cameras. Soon every state will realize they can make millions with little effort by just adding a front plate so they can get pics of the plate and driver at the same time...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clubvette Member from Greensboro

Thank you very much for giving us a heads up. I lived with this type of law in California for 10 years and it was a joke since it was seldom enforced due to the fact that law enforcement themselves said it was nothing more than another distraction from them doing their primary job of keeping the peace.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
hayseed51
Racer

Originally Posted by C6Tim
I think it makes a good target for laser too.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll do what I can. Knowing NC they'll ruin my C6 and motorcycle.

Get notified of new replies

To NC Front License Plate Bill

Quick Reply: NC Front License Plate Bill