C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. Cayman S = No Contest (Cross Post from DC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 PM
bbroach
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 vs. Cayman S = No Contest (Cross Post from DC)

Although I've been a member of CF for nearly a year, my wife & I have only been members of the Corvette family for a couple of months. For no particular reason, most of my online Corvette participation have been on that "other" forum, and I've been remiss in making much of a contribution to this site. I thought you folks might enjoy a cross post of a review I wrote while Nancy and I were shopping for her new car, which turned out to be a lovely MRM C6 coupe. I've avoided the urge to make any edits to the original post.

(Dec 21, 2006)

For the past several months, my wife and I have been shopping to replace her aging BMW 5'er, whose lease expires in late January. In the end, the choice was between the Corvette C6 Coupe and the Porsche Cayman S, and we drove several of each to get a feel for the cars with various options and suspensions. Here are a few brief observations.

Value:

Not surprisingly, on features vs. price, the C6 beats the Cayman like a red headed step child. MSRP on the C6 we considered was $56,775; the comparably equipped Cayman totaled $80,000 - with no headup display available, an A5 transmission, 105 less Hp, and 149 lb/ft less torque (the weight difference is only 137 lb).
Advantage - C6

Ride Comfort

The Cayman S wheelbase is 11" shorter than the C6; the base C6 suspension rode far better than the Cayman S base, and even the Z51 had a better freeway ride. We were unable to find a Porsche with magnetic ride (called PASM), but I doubt that it would overcome the wb disparity. The Cayman S with optional 19" wheels handled great, but it was so rough that it made my teeth hurt. The F55 suspension was our favorite on the C6, with better road isolation in "Sport" mode than the base Cayman S or C6, and a very plush ride in "Tour".
Advantage - C6

Noise Comfort

In the Cayman, the engine is right behind the passenger cabin; mechanical noise is tolerable, even at full chat, but the intake roar at full throttle has to be close to 90dB. the C6's LS2 doesn't sound like it's working hard even when ripping through the gears.
Advantage - C6

Cabin Environment

Even though the Porsche & Corvette are only 1.7" different in width, the C6 has more shoulder space and is roomier overall - in the Cayman, you feel like your head is right at the side window, and the dash is very close. It reminded me of the old VW Karman Ghia. Instrumentation is very well laid out in both cars, but the Cayman cannot be had with HUD. Leather and plastic are themes common to both; with no prejudice vs. hard plastics in interiors, we found the cabins of each to be quite handsome and comfortable.
A tie

Handling

The Cayman S is by far the best handing, most nimble car I have ever driven; I don't make this comment without some applicable experience - my first career as factory Porsche tech spanned nearly fifteen years and thousands of cars. I drove the Cayman S, on its standard 18" wheels and base suspension, through a tight California freeway exit at 50 mph, without so much as a squeak from the tires. I know this particular ramp well - it was part of my Porsche road test route back in the eighties. Having said that, the C6 is no slouch in the turns either, and the torque from the LS2 adds a throttle steering dimension that the Porsche cannot match. We didn't drive either car above 100 mph, but my bet is that the Cayman's agility would be a liability at speed. Still...
Advantage Cayman S

Exterior Appearance

I can't look at either of these cars individually without thinking that each is one of the most beautifully styled automobiles I've ever seen. The C6 is my personal favorite, but any gearhead who doesn't appreciate the rear flanks of the Cayman should be checked for a heartbeat. The only weakness of the Porsche is an uninspiring view from the rear, and many would make that same observation of the C6.
A tie

Engine

I love Porsche flat sixes; I've certainly been up to my elbows in enough of them to know exactly what they are about, and their insides are as beautiful to an enthusiast as the lines of a 911S. But I have a new love these days - the LS2. There's already one in my garage, in my '05 GTO; it makes 379 rwhp on bolt-ons and a tune, with FI still to come. No replacement for displacement.
Advantage C6

Fit and Finish

Everyone knows that German cars are assembled better than any others in the world - right? Except that I didn't see that when I compared the C6 to the Cayman S. It is true that the Porsche designers made some more upscale materials choices in the interior, but the quality of your interior plastic is a thin distinction to make in hope of a competitive edge. The truth is that these cars are built by people who really care about the quality of their work, and it shows in both products.
A tie

Assembly point

Last, but hardly least, we are pleased to buy a car (a GM car, at that) built here at home in the USA.
Big Advantage - C6

And the winner is...

No surprise here, right? After all, this is a Corvette forum. But the C6 is a great sports car;
take it from someone who knows what great sports cars are made of. I'll be happy to have
a C6 in my garage - even if I am only allowed to wash it. :laughing:

Here is the car we ordered, with a build week of January 15
(many thanks to Carl & Mike at Boardwalk for everything):

Monterey Red/Cashmere Coupe, LT3, F55, A6, Nav, ON*, Comp Gray wheels

And thanks to all those who welcomed me following my virgin post.

regards, billb....
Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was a social science major, but if my hazy memory of H.S. serves me right, you've been a member for 23 months ... and stop hanging around "that other forum" ... you'll go blind.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

My friend just picked up a Cayman S...
I like!

Nice engine note behind your head. Seats are

I'll keep my vette tho...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Nice writeup! Good comparison. One small thing: I'd betcha a good 75% of the readers have no idea what a Karmann Ghia is, was, or looks like.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
bbroach
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sven
I was a social science major, but if my hazy memory of H.S. serves me right, you've been a member for 23 months ... and stop hanging around "that other forum" ... you'll go blind.
Not only blind, but stupid; yes, almost two years. I'm an engineer - should have gotten out my calculator.

For those of you too young to have seen one, here is a pic of the "Hausefrau's Porsche".

regards, billb....
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

An excellent choice suh.

Good comparative post. Of course the P-car bunch probably thinks you're wack
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Nice writeup! Good comparison. One small thing: I'd betcha a good 75% of the readers have no idea what a Karmann Ghia is, was, or looks like.
I'm almost afraid to admit I remember those cars
Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
RocketV
Racer

For what its worth, I shopped both the cayman S and C6 too. I'm an Industrial Designer and couldn't tear my eyes away from the Cayman's flanks. I couldn't, however, get past the price difference for comparably equipped cars. Besides, while the intake noise and overall driving experience in the Cayman S are great, it just can't match the rush of stabbing the gas in a car with a big V8. I also like the fact that there are Chevy dealers EVERYWHERE, so I don't need to fear road trip bad-luck like I would in the Porshe.

P.S. Ghias rock
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I like the Cayman-S, but no way am I buying that car for the same money as my Corvette. Cars are already a bad investment, why make it worse.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Friend of mine really wants a Cayman. He might end up moving to NC if things go well with a job he's pursuing...

If he gets one, I'll be sure to do some side by sides with him...

Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 PM
BuckGW
Pro

Thanks for the comparison. I briefly considered a Cayman S before I bought my C6 (MRM/cashmere Coupe, 3LT, F55, A6, dual tops and factory chromes). I rejected the Cayman due to cost (too much), space (not enough) and acceleration (too slow). I love my C6 and have never regretted the decision.

Many happy miles!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Derek T
Pro

Thanks for the great post. And great decision.
One of my best friends (Mercedes owner E55AMG) told me to get a Porsche Cayman S instead of the Corvette because people think Porsches are "Higher class" than Corvettes. I'm glad you post this review, I can't wait to show it to him. Porsche is a great car; however, Corvette has better price tag and produces similar or better performances, that's why I chose Corvette. Maybe I'll get a 911 Turbo one day if I become richer in the future.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Irv
Drifting

I just drove a Cayman S yesterday, and I think think the post above is just plain flat-out biased. The Cayman S is slower, way slower. More than the track numbers show. If you've got to have speed for a price there's nothing like a C6 and we all know it. But let's not kid ourselves. For steering feel, brake feel, shifter feel, clutch feel, handling finese, rough road ride, engine refinement, exterior build quality, available interior build quality (I test drove a car with $2600 worth of "special leather"), and seat comfort it's the Cayman hands down.

I don't understand why people have to be so brand-loyal on these forums. The Cayman I test drove was $71K, which probably makes it more of a competitor to the Z06 from a wallet perspective. And Z06 versus Cayman S is a much tougher comparison, and one I'm wrestling with. If anyone is really comparing a sub-$50K loaded C6 Coupe (street price these days, wth discounts) to a $70K+ Cayman S and thinking it's a valid comparison, I think they're kidding themselves. You either want the C6 power and can't live without it, you can't really afford the Cayman S, or all of that refinement is lost on you. Frankly, I'm torn at this point.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 AM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Interesting thread, I also considered a Cayman S when looking at a new sports car. And I also have a friend who owns both a Viper and an E55AMG. He and another sports car friend agreed: although the Vette comes with some social baggage the numbers don't lie. Forget the blue-collar redneck perceptions and buy the better performing car. I was actually quite surprised from both of these guys because they are both quite class conscience. I was actually leaning towards the Cayman because I've owned American muscle cars most of my life and wanted to start moving towards something with a more sophisticated perception. My wife was the final straw, she said the C6 was my dream car and she would be disappointed if I got the Porsche.

One thing has me a bit perplexed about the OP's review. You didn't really look objectively if you give the interiors a tie. The Vette interior is (still) pathetic. (GM, get a clue!)

I bought the vette, I'm not overly impressed with the performance but every time I look at it I'm blown away. It's awesome!

I don't know, I may just be over the whole car thing ...either that or I need about 700 ponys in a car that'll rev about 9K

Last edited by flynbulldog; 03-28-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I almost bought one when I was stationed in Naples Italy back in 1976. But I bought a Fiat Syider 124 instead.

Tom
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

YES!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
osugasman
Advanced

Default 05 911 vs C6

Originally Posted by Irv
I just drove a Cayman S yesterday, and I think think the post above is just plain flat-out biased. The Cayman S is slower, way slower. More than the track numbers show. If you've got to have speed for a price there's nothing like a C6 and we all know it. But let's not kid ourselves. For steering feel, brake feel, shifter feel, clutch feel, handling finese, rough road ride, engine refinement, exterior build quality, available interior build quality (I test drove a car with $2600 worth of "special leather"), and seat comfort it's the Cayman hands down.

I don't understand why people have to be so brand-loyal on these forums. The Cayman I test drove was $71K, which probably makes it more of a competitor to the Z06 from a wallet perspective. And Z06 versus Cayman S is a much tougher comparison, and one I'm wrestling with. If anyone is really comparing a sub-$50K loaded C6 Coupe (street price these days, wth discounts) to a $70K+ Cayman S and thinking it's a valid comparison, I think they're kidding themselves. You either want the C6 power and can't live without it, you can't really afford the Cayman S, or all of that refinement is lost on you. Frankly, I'm torn at this point.
We all will have our respective opinions on the matter. I was fortunate enough to have a close friend lend me his 05 911 (997) 6M Carrera for a full week. This has always been my dream car. I am finally fortunate enough to consider purchasing one so this time was a godsend for my evaluation. I found the car to be a little difficult to live with. It was extremely!! noisy inside. When laying in to the throttle at 2500 rpm in second gear while coming out of a tight S bend then snapping up to 3rd, there was nothing better in the world than hearing the flat 6 screaming in your ears as the acceleration threw you back into the seat. THIS CAR WOULD KICK *** ON A TRACK. The feedback was just amazing. However, don't try to answer your cell phone on the highway when your driving home from the track. You literally have to scream.

In the middle of the week, I test drove a C6 coupe and have subsequently spent 2 hours tooling around in my buddies C6 vert. Aside from the BIG advantage the 911 gets IF you were to track it, the C6 wins hands down. I have no problem with the C6 interior. The C6 cabin was much larger, the seats were more comfortable (I'm a 5'11" 160# triathlete and found the 911 seats too narrow), the interior noise was amazingly low at highway speeds (most definitely coupe, not vert), the short throw shifter was nicer than the 911s, brake feel was very similar, outward vis much better in 911, dash better in 911 (esp the dig speedo in the bottom of the tach gauge!!, radios and nav similar. The major downside to the C6 is lack of warning building up to the loss of rear wheel traction in a turn. You can truly drive much better than your skillset would normally allow in the 911. But day to day living, the C6 is much easier and less costly to get along with, including having a useable trunk. Where else can you get a car that is lighter than a 911 C2 or F430, makes more HWP and torque, is faster to 60, 100, 150mph, brakes down as fast, and generates close to 1.0g for 1/2 to 1/4 the price???? OBTW, it's also beautiful from the outside, easy to live with and maintain and won't upset your wife whe you take her on a roadtrip in it vs the Lexus.

Major downside to GM in general vs Porsche, COLOR CHOICE.

Sorry for the longwinded and poorly written comparison. I have subsequently moved my name over to the Corvette side and am on Rick Daniels list for the 08 C6!!!!! See you boys out on the road.

--Brian
P.S. This is my first post; guess I'm done lurking!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs. Cayman S = No Contest (Cross Post from DC)

Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by osugasman
We all will have our respective opinions on the matter. I was fortunate enough to have a close friend lend me his 05 911 (997) 6M Carrera for a full week. This has always been my dream car. I am finally fortunate enough to consider purchasing one so this time was a godsend for my evaluation. I found the car to be a little difficult to live with. It was extremely!! noisy inside. When laying in to the throttle at 2500 rpm in second gear while coming out of a tight S bend then snapping up to 3rd, there was nothing better in the world than hearing the flat 6 screaming in your ears as the acceleration threw you back into the seat. THIS CAR WOULD KICK *** ON A TRACK. The feedback was just amazing. However, don't try to answer your cell phone on the highway when your driving home from the track. You literally have to scream.

In the middle of the week, I test drove a C6 coupe and have subsequently spent 2 hours tooling around in my buddies C6 vert. Aside from the BIG advantage the 911 gets IF you were to track it, the C6 wins hands down. I have no problem with the C6 interior. The C6 cabin was much larger, the seats were more comfortable (I'm a 5'11" 160# triathlete and found the 911 seats too narrow), the interior noise was amazingly low at highway speeds (most definitely coupe, not vert), the short throw shifter was nicer than the 911s, brake feel was very similar, outward vis much better in 911, dash better in 911 (esp the dig speedo in the bottom of the tach gauge!!, radios and nav similar. The major downside to the C6 is lack of warning building up to the loss of rear wheel traction in a turn. You can truly drive much better than your skillset would normally allow in the 911. But day to day living, the C6 is much easier and less costly to get along with, including having a useable trunk. Where else can you get a car that is lighter than a 911 C2 or F430, makes more HWP and torque, is faster to 60, 100, 150mph, brakes down as fast, and generates close to 1.0g for 1/2 to 1/4 the price???? OBTW, it's also beautiful from the outside, easy to live with and maintain and won't upset your wife whe you take her on a roadtrip in it vs the Lexus.

Major downside to GM in general vs Porsche, COLOR CHOICE.

Sorry for the longwinded and poorly written comparison. I have subsequently moved my name over to the Corvette side and am on Rick Daniels list for the 08 C6!!!!! See you boys out on the road.

--Brian
Interesting you feel the shifter in the Vette is better than the 911. The 911's is considered one of the best in the world at any price. Still, while I considered a 911 last year before I bought the vette, the bottom line was $30K+ in price delta. And that was not the S, it added 10 large to the delta. The 911s, great as they are, are not worth that premium over the faster, better looking, more comfortable Corvette. Period.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......
And btw, bb, those can't be stock KGhia wheels on there, are they? And 2nd btw, tell 'em about the foot placement/wheelwells.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by osugasman

--Brian
Wilkommen! aw, it's ok about the long post...

Last edited by AORoads; 03-28-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 vs. Cayman S = No Contest (Cross Post from DC)