C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette in Alaska - Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
DracoDan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Vette in Alaska - Am I crazy?

I am currently in the USAF and deployed to the "big sandbox". I am due to get out of the Air Force in less than 10 months. Unfortunately my girlfriend lives in Anchorage AK and I have been offered an exceptional job there paying around $100k/yr. So my question is, are there any vette owners here in the forums from AK? Would I be wasting my money buying a car that I might only be able to drive 4 months a year? I plan on buying a house up there before I start looking for a car, so I would have some place to keep it in the winter. I've been thinking of a 05 or 06 black on black MN6 coupe.

For those that are in AK, if you do exist, does the NAV function that far north? Anchorage is a big city, but are there detailed maps for it? About how much should I expect to pay to either ship a vette up, or pay for what I want in the extremely remote chance that someone has everytihng I want for sale there. In my 9 years total I lived up there (I left in Sep 06) I saw several vettes and vipers around Anchorage, but they were few and far between.

Thanks
Dan
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
The Detail Dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all you do for us!

Don't have an answer for the Nav. Although I'm sure it would work! The company that makes the discs for GM have a pretty good handle on the GPS system all over the world.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Actually one of the Mods lives in Alaska, his forum name is "Torch" and I think he's usually on OT. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
DracoDan
Instructor

Thanks for the quick replies and support guys. I've been a long time lurker, but I believe that was my first post. Looking forward to spending a lot more time talking here, after I become an actual owner.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for your sacrifices and hard work. Look at it as the possibility of spending four months of good weather every year without a Corvette.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
BATMAN32
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Corvette in Alaska

I currently own an '07 coupe. Lived in Anchorage for 17 years but had my 911 Porsche then. Lived on top of the hill at Potter's Creek. Great place to drive a sports car up and down the paved curvy road. My thoughts are that Alaska is a great place to drive a sports car with many miles of great scenery. BUT, all the highways are two lanes! And tourist traffic, with many motor homes, can make it a bore in the summer. You can drive boldly, passing long lines of traffic but the accident history on many roads is attrocious with many head-on collisions killing many innocent folks. Beware of the impatient Alaskan in a pickup trying to get by all the sightseer's who slow constantly to look at the scenery. That leaves spring and fall, both about 3 weeks.
Now I spend my winters in Arizona with my new C6 coupe. Great place to drive. I bought the car in Oct, and already have 6800 miles on it. In Alaska, in about 12 years, I put about 7000 miles on the Porsche.
You can direct mail me for more...

Regards, Paul
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
MGNiko
Intermediate

Not crazy at all! I'm in Anchorage and own. Love it!! Nothing like driving the Seward highway in the summer right up along the mountains on your right with the inlet on your left.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Hound
Racer

that's 1/3 of your life per year. go for it
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
DracoDan
Instructor

Originally Posted by MGNiko
Not crazy at all! I'm in Anchorage and own. Love it!! Nothing like driving the Seward highway in the summer right up along the mountains on your right with the inlet on your left.
Sure, if you like driving at 15 mph behind a 40' camper who stops every time they see anything bigger than a squirrel.

Tourists, can't live with em, economy would crash without em.

On a more serious note, how did you go about buying your vette? Did you buy from a dealership in Anchorage with huge markup, or pay from shipping from down south?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

Owning a Vette in Alaska is great. Not a problem. Of course I choose to garage mine from about November 1st until April 1st but the scenery is fantastic. One poster above reported about being stuck behind a motorhome. Over the past 17 years many of our roads have been straightened and passing lanes added. It's real easy to get a ticket as there are many a places that are very straight. Anchorage also has a Corvette club (I haven't joined yet). My 07' is on the road today and I'm loving it. For shipment to Alaska you might check out TOTE or TOTEM as they are the primary vehicle shipper to Alaska. Version 3 of the NAV disc did not include Alaska. However, other models I'm told did get Alaska on their disc (different version). I'm thinking it won't be long. Hope to see you here driving that Vette.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I lived in Anchorage for over 4 years. I had a Corvette most of the time there.

No, you don't need NAV.

Yes, there are plenty of Vette owners up there, and yes, Alaska is a great state to have a sports car in. The drives down to Seward alone made it worth it.

Go through Bill McCarren at Alaska Sales & Service on the north end of town (5th Avenue), he took great care of me.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DracoDan
Thanks for the quick replies and support guys. I've been a long time lurker, but I believe that was my first post. Looking forward to spending a lot more time talking here, after I become an actual owner.
Don't feel like yo have to wait 'till you get the car to post here whenever you feel like it. I was posting here for a few years before I finally bought mine, and everyone was always super cool to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by djfullshred
Don't feel like yo have to wait 'till you get the car to post here whenever you feel like it. I was posting here for a few years before I finally bought mine, and everyone was always super cool to me.

I don't own a Corvette, and I post here more than 99.9994% of the members.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
jrjen2
Racer

I own a Corvette and have lived in Anchorage since 2003 and owned a Vette since 2005. Anyway, my Vette spends about 6 months in the garage. I drive it from as soon as possible in the season to the first snowfall. I am currently in OK City on business, but when I get home next week I'll be getting it out. This year was even a late breakup (That is the AK vernacular for all the snowmelting) because two years ago I had it out in March. There are more Vettes in Alaska than you might think and there are about 50 of us in the Anchorage Corvette Association.

The nav does not work, but Onstar does. As far as the two dealers in Anchorage go, they have their Vettes marked up over MSRP for regular old coupes and verts. If you want to buy in the summer, then good luck getting them to come down. The dealers in Anchorage know that Vettes don't hang around very long in AK summer and it is so far to Seattle. I bought my 2005 in February right after we got 2 feet of snow and I negotiated $1K over invoice. There is a lot more to that story, but it can be done. If you have the opportunity to buy in the lower 48 for under MSRP then shipping to AK will probably be a few thousand bucks from Seattle. I'm not saying you should not buy in AK, though. They don't have big allocations but the dealers may be willing to budge if you show up with cash in hand.

ANy other questions then fell free to PM me or check out our club website. I think that it is Alaskacorvette.com and if not just google it and you'll see a link.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Noggles

I don't own a Corvette, and I post here more than 99.9994% of the members.

no Corvette required!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
50th in the 49th
Racer

Originally Posted by MADinAK
Owning a Vette in Alaska is great. Not a problem. Of course I choose to garage mine from about November 1st until April 1st but the scenery is fantastic. One poster above reported about being stuck behind a motorhome. Over the past 17 years many of our roads have been straightened and passing lanes added. It's real easy to get a ticket as there are many a places that are very straight. Anchorage also has a Corvette club (I haven't joined yet). My 07' is on the road today and I'm loving it. For shipment to Alaska you might check out TOTE or TOTEM as they are the primary vehicle shipper to Alaska. Version 3 of the NAV disc did not include Alaska. However, other models I'm told did get Alaska on their disc (different version). I'm thinking it won't be long. Hope to see you here driving that Vette.
I'm a lowly C5 owner , but I say go for it!!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Heck, you're crazy just for being in Alaska...may as well go ahead and get the Vette!

Just kidding...I lived in Fairbanks and Anchorage for 20+ years...it's a great place to live.

Now...get the Vette!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette in Alaska - Am I crazy?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 AM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

you know canadas in between alaska and the states...hahah you can always look in canada for a used vette good luck and go ahead with it...even driving the car a few months of the year is worth it
Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you have the means to own a fair weather driver then a C6 would be an excelent choice.

Are you crazy? Sorry, only you can answer that one for yourself.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by C-INRED
Heck, you're crazy just for being in Alaska...may as well go ahead and get the Vette!

Just kidding...I lived in Fairbanks and Anchorage for 20+ years...it's a great place to live.

Now...get the Vette!

Quick Reply: Vette in Alaska - Am I crazy?