C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible top stops halfway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
While I agree, I did get caught in a thunder storm and had to pull over and get a little wet in the process. I suppose you would be in the same boat with the power top just subtract the gettting out in the rain part.
I don't care if I get wet.

I don't want the interior getting wet. A jammed power top in a thunderstorm wouldn't be my idea of fun!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine pauses @ the half way point... If I don't remove my finger from the button, a few seconds later it continues to go down. I thought that was normal...
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hazchris
why I hate power tops!!! my sympathy to you , power tops are a PITA!!!!
I don't agree. I have the power top and have never ever had a problem. My next vert will also have the power top. I wouldn't fear taking mine to the dealer.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM
VF1000R
Instructor

Well another PT owner. I enjoyed my top for all of 3 days. Then , sitting in the garage, I decided to drop the top and about half way open I heard a definitive pop. The top Stopped moving. Further pushing of the down button caused to top motor to whine and pushing the close or up button produced no results. I have to get out of the car, hold the soft top up and push the clamshell back down. The top will then reclose with the switch. Repeating the procedure produces the same results.

Wierd , this happend last Sunday. I closed the top back up. Went to the store. Tried the top again and it worked fine. I drove it to work Monday, to show it off, brand new car with 300 miles on it, and the top was raised and lowered several times with no problems. Today , 2 days later, I come home and try to drop the top and it's hung again, this time after about 10 attempts it still will not go down, making a pop sound every time.

Guess it's dealer time. Don't see any answers in this thread
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, check the rear divider and insure that your hear a firm "SNAP" and not just the divider hanging on the pins. So far w/12,000 miles, no power top problems.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
VF1000R
Instructor

Naturally, I get to the dealer and the darn thing works like it's supposed to. haha , 50 mile round trip for nothing.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 PM
VF1000R
Instructor

WELL !

Saturday. Getting ready to go to the local car show.

The TOP Sticks Up Again. This Time the rear window section drops down into the storage area and the waterfall tries to close on it. GEESH.

I can't get the waterfall to come up and it's trying to crush the top going down. On top of that , the Trunk will not open because the top is not secure. I call BS on this . I call the dealer on Saturday, get the Owner on the line. He's understanding and wants to send a Wrecker to bring it in. I tell him the top is Stuck up like a Sail , how in the heck can he haul it like that ???? Meanwhile , I walk back to the car and the Waterfall has opened up on its own ! What Gives ????? Not looking a gift horse in the mouth , I tuck the Top back down and drive the 25 miles back to the Dealer and leave it with him. NATURALLY, when I get there , the top works fine. He puts me in a 2005 Tahoe and I leave the vert with him .

Feeling a little frustrated. First new Vette, everything else on the car seems to be Ok though. Got the NCM tour coming up May 29 and I want the car Right. I would hate to have to parade that top in front of the museum sticking up like that. Maybe that would get their attention.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 AM
cincyspider
Racer

I would never have bought my vert without the power option.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a manual in my 03 and could shut or open the top within 10 sec and that included getting out of the car. Wish I could have gotten it again with the 3lt on my 07 but that wasn't an option. Can see a major cost in the long run on repairs.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C6 manual top is smooth and fast. I'm glad I got mine.

The power top looks cool in action....until it jams. (Usually with an outdoor cafe full of people watching.)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
yanksmell
1st Gear

Default Heart of Problem

Hello Folks,
I do not own a vet however I have a non-mechanical friend that does and he has the half open top issue as most of you do.

The problem is the communication between the folding top mod, the communication mod, and the body control mod.

The folding top mod scabs computer access via the on-star mod in the trunk with a low level serial communication bus. The communication mod is a (cheap) portal for the folding top mod to the BCM.

The folding top mod request a tonneau open to the BCM via the communication mod. The tonneau opens and the top is fully controlled by the folding top mod at this point.

Once the top is half open, the folding top mod looks for a permit to continue from switches all over the car and it does this via its computer link through the communication mod. If the folding top mod does not get the permit to continue the folding top mod goes into abort mode and stop. You will note that when the top stop in this position the pump stops. If you hit the top down switch again it may or may not continue and in most cases will eventually stop there for good.

If this happens the only thing you can do is release the pump pressure via the pump dump screw mentioned in all these threads however the pump solenoids are fully operational and holding head pressure on the rams so lowering the top at this point is not possible. Sometime you can wait a period and the top mod will do some sort of weird clicking and the solenoids will deactivate and the top will move very freely. The only way to release the pressure on the rams if the top mod does not clear itself is drop the B+ power to the top mod and the easiest is to pull the battery +.

Now for the real issue; connect a “TECH 2” scanner to the DBII port and note that the scanner cannot talk to the communication mod.

WOW… the communication mod functions as far as on-star is concerned however it ignores any requests from the top mod. To complicate things, all on-star functions function but the communication mod will not communicate on the GMlan buss. The story gets crapper, all the computer mods in the car in a daisy-chain including the communication mod. The communication mod passes signals along from and two other mods but ignores any calls from or to other mods.

Doesn’t this story SUCK!!! You will find the heart of the problem is a place you would never bargain for…the COMMUNICATION MODUALE hidden behind the carpet of a compartment in the far rear right corner of the trunk (non Z06) or behind the carpet in the trunk by the trunk latch.

Did I mention this SUCK!!!

Confirm communication to the communication mod before the dealer starts spending your money because we all know the dealer never makes a mistake getting an education at the sake of loading up your bill with non related electronic equipment. If the communication mod is defective in any way, communications will function only your top will not function.

Why was the folding top mod not put on the main GMlan buss, because it is an option that GM scabbed control for from the communication mod.

If you guys want electrical diagrams, contact me and I will forward them; these tops are a real hell ride to say the least.

Good Luck Guys.
Jon
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Please don't revive old threads. Start a new one instead.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: convertible top stops halfway