C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 03:09 AM
BAdAzZV8
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: No Z06 convertible (Drewdog)

I want a Z06 coupe, instead of a hardtop. I don't need a vert when I have a targa top.:D
Old 11-21-2001, 03:11 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: No Z06 convertible (Ha-Ha)

GM has its reasons, but quality issues wouldn't be one because the only difference FRC and the vert is the top itself.
Explain the recurring posts here that whine about cheap materials and rocking seats being "inexcusable in a $50,000 car."

And I don't think sticker is an issue here, especially as far as the press is concerened.
A $60,000 Chevy?

Look at the LEXUS SC Vert, (in only its first year), the {Mercedes} CLK Retractible, the {BMW} M5, and the latest AUDI - all have crossed well passed the $60K range.
Magazine writers never complain about the price of fine german automobiles or a Lexus. Even when they're way out of whack.

The only way GM can get away with a $60,000 Corvette is if it goes faster and handles better than the $50,000 Corvette. A Z06 convertible would not do that.

I'm not saying it's fair, but it's there. Current issue of Car and Driver talks about what a bad boy the M3 Breadbox is. Hmm... more money, less power (and same weight), trickier handling, less interior room, and poorer ergonomics than a Corvette Coupe. Yeah, it's bad, as in a bad idea. I'm sure it's a hoot to drive and all, but a BMW more of a bad boy than a Corvette? These writers need to spend more time with the unwashed masses.

And those of you who want a Z06 convertible can have one, just not with a factory warranty on the top -- like that matters?!?. It's not like the conversion involves a hacksaw. Do you think they'll void the powertrain warranty because you popped the top? Yeah, some isolated backwater dealer would, but GM? Come on.

.Jinx
Old 11-21-2001, 03:34 PM
VetteVette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: ZO6 Convertible (OURRUBY)

It's a sports car, not a Nascar. Top should have option to be opened. :boxing
Old 12-05-2001, 12:07 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: ZO6 Convertible (VetteVette)

Why can't the FRC be the RRC?
Like the convertibles with a hardtop.
Can't GM do this?
Then they'd have something for us ALL.

Standard Coupe (Targa Top OF COURSE!) Clear & Fiberglass Tops
Standard Vert
Standard Vert with Removable Hardtop
Standard FRC

ZO6 FRC
Z06 FRC with Targa Top
Z06 RRC

Is this too much for the amount of Vettes projected to be sold in any particular year?
Tooling cost too high?
Design cost too high?

I don't know but I'd jump on one of those Removable Roof Z06 Vettes.

And how about a few more interior options?
I'll admit it, I have a weakness for chocolate and any car with a WHITE INTERIOR

Old 12-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Keystone
Racer

Default Re: ZO6 Convertible (OURRUBY)

This topic has come up several times before, but the general consensus seems to be that the Z06 will remain a FRC.

If I recall my MBA studies correctly, the marketing concept in use here is conjoint analysis. Basically, if the number of possible option combinations is so large that profitable manufacturing becomes difficult, you force the consumer into "trade-off analysis", where they have to choose which options really matter the most, and then buy the car that best meets their needs.

John Delorean's book "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" talks about his taking the reins at Chevrolet in 1970. At that time, with the myriad of engine choices, individual interior options, axle ratios, etc, there were something like 80,000 possible combinations for ordering a simple pickup truck. Talk about an inventory control nightmare. Option packages and restrictions on optional equipment dramatically streamline production and boost profitability.

This thread started as a question about a convertible Z06, then it went to a removable hardtop, sunroofs, different interior colors, etc. We went from 3 basic Corvette body styles to 6 or 7, with the possible combinations going up by several factors of 10.

Giving people too many choices doesn't work. Sounds counter-intuitive, but forcing people to make trade-off decisions works in the best interest of GM's share holders, and that's why they are in business.

I bought a Z06 because I liked the FRC body style. Would I have liked a removable hard top? Sure, but I still bought the car without it.

Don't look for widespread proliferation of the LS6 engine. Powerful engines tend to break things downstream in the driveline and they are a warranty headache. The LS6/Z06 was a marketing masterpiece, reviving interest in a mature C5 body style. How many magazine road tests do you see on C5 coupes? Not many. Z06 road tests are everywhere, and the car delivers what it promises. Savvy marketing. Make your trade-off analaysis choices carefully, and you'll be satisfied with your Corvette, no matter which one you get.

Regards,
Scott
Old 12-11-2001, 03:29 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: ZO6 Convertible (Keystone)

Keystone, all good points.

However, collectively, we, as a group, are not buying a car that meets our needs.
We're buying a car that meets our "wants".

Let the sedan/suv buyer handle the "trade off analysis". There's a lot more of them than us.
Vette folks are "car" folks and it's not too hard for US to make up our minds.
Not arguing the point, as I agree with your logic, I'm just taking a little different look at the "equation".

We all have Vettes because they are irresistible. I'm just saying with a
little change in GM's marketing, they could make them MORE irresistible.

Magazine writers want to test drive the latest and greatest car out there.
At the moment for GM that's the Z06.
The standard C5 is still just as great as it was when that's all they wanted to test drive and write about.
An basically there hasn't been a change worth writing about since the C5 debutted in 1997.
Z06 just got 20 more HP and a few more ft. lbs. of torque.
All the writers have to experience the new Z06.

Removable roof is NOT anything new. They just haven't done it with the C5.
Vert. yes. But NO removable top.
IMHO, GM should bring back the option.
The FRC wasn't a popular option to begin with.
385 hp or 405 hp makes the FRC more irrestible.
The chassis is already stiff enough to handle the removable top.
Again, IMHO the removable top would make FRC more irrestible.

Of course when every one you make is already sold, whats the impetus to change?

Old 12-11-2001, 04:54 PM
Keystone
Racer

Default Re: ZO6 Convertible (VetNutJim)

Keystone, all good points.

However, collectively, we, as a group, are not buying a car that meets our needs.
We're buying a car that meets our "wants".

Let the sedan/suv buyer handle the "trade off analysis". There's a lot more of them than us........

Of course when every one you make is already sold, whats the impetus to change?

Jim-
Thanks for your reply. I think your last sentence really drove it home. I just don't think the impetus is there to add the LS6 to the coupe/vert, much less modify the FRC to have a removable top.

I'd also add that "regular" car buyers are probably not often forced into trade-off analysis, because they ask so little of their passenger sedan/SUV/minivan. The big issues for the average car buyer often go no further than monthly payment or color choice.

I think we can all agree that dropping the LS6 into the coupe or vert would require very little additional work. After all, the parts are already all there and proven/used in the Z06. If you used the Z06 (LS6/M12/shot peened 3.42 rear) driveline and nothing else, the LS-6 option for the coupe/vert would probably add only 3-4k to the cost of the car.

All I can think is that there may be a supplier capacity-limitation on the Z06 driveline parts. Or maybe GM market research has shown that most Vette buyers find 350 hp more than enough to meet their needs. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised when the c6 comes out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you coupe and convertible fans out there......:cheers:

Regards,
Scott

[Modified by Keystone, 3:55 PM 12/11/2001]

Quick Reply: ZO6 Convertible