C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifters

Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters

I am a devout manual guy for over 40 years of buying and driving stick shift cars. My '06 C6 A6 is my first "automatic" and I shift only with the paddles. My C6 is my fifth Corvette and I am looking forward to the C7. How many of you stick people have found that the paddles, although not perfect, give you the same or better experience as the MN6? I like shifting as I did when I was a young man, but I enjoy the paddle shift. I have had my A6 for 17 months. In my MINI S car, I almost wish I had paddles. I still like shifting, but the paddles on my A6 have allowed me the control I demand when I drive. How about you?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
NetViper
Instructor

I haven't had a chance to try them, but I was dissapointed they were not like the Ferrari F1 paddles where you have up on one side and down on the other. I see the 335i paddles are very simliar to what is in the Vette though.

What do you think about using them compared to most other systems if you have tried any?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
AUSTINAMP
Heel & Toe

I use the paddles about 25 percent of the time. Very fun and although there is a delay still very efficient in my opinion. Also I like launching in 1st gear with the paddles.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NetViper
I haven't had a chance to try them, but I was dissapointed they were not like the Ferrari F1 paddles where you have up on one side and down on the other.
You're right, they are not like that stock. But with a quick modification to the paddle shifter wiring, that can be changed http://www.geocities.com/davidh1320@...ddleshift.html
Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
NetViper
Instructor

Originally Posted by GMautotech
You're right, they are not like that stock. But with a quick modification to the paddle shifter wiring, that can be changed http://www.geocities.com/davidh1320@...ddleshift.html

Now that is pretty cool. Someone should make some really nice looking F1 paddles to go along with that mod. Something very Ferrari F430 like.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GMautotech
Wish I'd thought of that.

To answer the OP question the only time I have missed a manual trans is for autox. The paddles allow me to easily stay in a selected gear but they can be difficult to find when the steering wheel is crossed up and I want to change gears say mid-corner. I would prefer the paddles to be column or console mounted. I also miss the additional control the clutch can provide -- again going into or out of a corner to rotate the car.

Except for those instances the paddle shift is great. It's also very good at providing a little extra hill-climbing power or deceleration just as with the manual by clicking into 5th or 4th -- and it doesn't disturb cruise-control either. I do hope the talked about improvements (software and/or hardware) to the A6 in the '08 model are available for backdating.

--Dan
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbratten
Wish I'd thought of that.

To answer the OP question the only time I have missed a manual trans is for autox. The paddles allow me to easily stay in a selected gear but they can be difficult to find when the steering wheel is crossed up and I want to change gears say mid-corner. I would prefer the paddles to be column or console mounted. I also miss the additional control the clutch can provide -- again going into or out of a corner to rotate the car.

Except for those instances the paddle shift is great. It's also very good at providing a little extra hill-climbing power or deceleration just as with the manual by clicking into 5th or 4th -- and it doesn't disturb cruise-control either. I do hope the talked about improvements (software and/or hardware) to the A6 in the '08 model are available for backdating.

--Dan
I, too, am anxious for this update. I am disappointed that we are beta testers for these improvements. I don't remember getting any compensation for testing this A6 for 17 months.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 AM
NorCalDelta
Instructor

Took the 3 day Spring Mountain course in late March, on the final afternoon we ran hot laps with the option of switching from C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and the C6 with paddle shift auto. I initially ran the Z and was really fast, but for the last session I used the paddle shift. It blew me away! Extremely easy to use, seemed to match rpm's quite well in downshifting and coming out of the hole it screamed. Less wheel spin, and the torque converter seemed to launch with a real kick.

After the session talking to the others in the group, several had run faster in the auto than the C6 Z, probably because you can focus on the line and braking without dealing with heel/toe and clutch issues.

I think it's the sleeper - had no idea what a terrific package it offers.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I enjoy using my paddles, I use them about 50% of the time.

Believe it or not they are really useful in heavy freeway stop and go traffic. Second is a long gear and its fun to run up and down with the engine revs as your driving. WTF -there is nothing else to do.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

First gear is pretty good, too.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Perry Mason
First gear is pretty good, too.
True, but I only use first if traffic is really bogged down. The idea is not to shift at all to get the revs up so I can hear my GHL's.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got back from a 1600 mile trip to Estes Park, Colorado. The paddle shifter was made for the mountains. It was very easy to keep it in a gear for good acceleration up the mountain or good engine braking coming down the mountain. Gobs of fun!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 AM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

I test drove one and didn't like it. It seemed really busy and I had to really concentrate on the revs and which button to push. It just did not seem as "natural" as shifting the manual IMO.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
kyoung
Instructor

When the paddles are attached to a DSG instead of slush box then it will be time to move from MN6 and make paddle shifting worthwhile. Until they make that change what does it matter, you might as well have an old school push button. You buy an auto (slush box) for convenience not performance.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I am a devout manual guy for over 40 years of buying and driving stick shift cars. My '06 C6 A6 is my first "automatic" and I shift only with the paddles. My C6 is my fifth Corvette and I am looking forward to the C7. How many of you stick people have found that the paddles, although not perfect, give you the same or better experience as the MN6? I like shifting as I did when I was a young man, but I enjoy the paddle shift. I have had my A6 for 17 months. In my MINI S car, I almost wish I had paddles. I still like shifting, but the paddles on my A6 have allowed me the control I demand when I drive. How about you?
Mr. Mason,

I couldn't agree more. i have always loved stick. However, all-round, the paddle shifters are a great product and a lot of fun.

I think the common trap is manual owners wanting a manual. It is really a different animal all together. Once you realise it is not a manual, but has many of the benefits and lacks a few negatives of manual shifting, you realise it is far more versatile for the daily enthusiast.

I have AutoStick in my Jeep SRT8 and it is no where near as much fun to play with.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Love 'em...love the paddles and I love the 6L80 transmission.

Originally Posted by kyoung
You buy an auto (slush box) for convenience not performance.
I'm not sure that I could possibly disagree with you more.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoung
When the paddles are attached to a DSG instead of slush box then it will be time to move from MN6 and make paddle shifting worthwhile. Until they make that change what does it matter, you might as well have an old school push button. You buy an auto (slush box) for convenience not performance.
You are definitely old school. Look at the 1/4 mile list, the A6 is the top dog in PERFORMANCE! There are other postings that state how the Spring Mountain students are quicker in the A6. I was also a died-in-the-wool manual person. This is my first auto and even though it's not as fun as the manual, it's definitely quicker.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifters

Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PLAYED with the paddles however, the automatic works well for me. Guess perhaps I am lazy.

Come to think of it, my dad told me several times in my younger years that if breathing didn't come natural, I'd be dead. I think he may had a point there.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

I dont even know how to use my Paddles, seems everytime i try i select the wrong gear and or at the wrong speed.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AUSTINAMP
I use the paddles about 25 percent of the time. Very fun and although there is a delay still very efficient in my opinion. Also I like launching in 1st gear with the paddles.
Nothing is like having the shift on the floor, I had it on my 06, I thought is was worthless, now my 15 year old son who loves video games would dig it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters