C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 05:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

$9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Identify cut Wires for AUX phono plug....

I think if your Phono plug wires are not the color you expect, then a simple cheap multi-meter could be used to identify the wire that connects to each stripe on the plug..... Continuity setting, or look for 0 ohms....
Left Audio (usually white) is the Tip. Right Audio (usually Red) in the middle. The common is the stripe furthest from the tip! Even a simple multi-meter is a good tool to have around.....
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Did the XM-AUX hard-wire Mod yesterday...

Thanks everyone who contributed.... was able to use a straightened paperclip to release the 3 pins. Cut, striped and soldered a mini phono cable I already had and used heat shrink tubing and electrical tape to patch it up.... Used zip ties to insure the cable could not get pulled too far thru the tiny hole I drilled in back of center console bin.
Works like a charm!

I had to use a multimeter to ID the L channel (tip) because my wire colors were not as expected.... All in all its a very do-able AUX-Input DIY job, and basically FREE!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

just did this install and it took 10 min
it works
signal through xm2 on OEM head unit
sound is as good or bad as the cd player plays LOL

thanks a ton, 10 yrs later still helping members get free phone/ipod music on their factory system!!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
The Auto Trigger Circuit (relay) sounds like the best option to me. I believe in the Keep It Simple Stupid principle... Plug & Play?

Has anyone used this when connecting an iPod? How difficult is it to do? Do you need to tap into a 12-volt source to power the relay?

Thanks!

Ed
Just added a 1/8" audio jack in the console to connect my Android phone. Since it had the XM Radio receiver, I added a 3PDT switch on the back side of the waterfall to switch between XM and the Aux. input. It works except I get some engine noise in the sound. I usually use Pandora for a music source.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ressner
Just added a 1/8" audio jack in the console to connect my Android phone. Since it had the XM Radio receiver, I added a 3PDT switch on the back side of the waterfall to switch between XM and the Aux. input. It works except I get some engine noise in the sound. I usually use Pandora for a music source.
Try tying the shields of the cables running to your jack and switch to a nearby chassis ground.

If one of the terminals of your 3-pole switch is the shield, you could easily connect a ground wire there.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:16 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Thank you for responding to my post. Installing the 3PDT switch on the back side of the waterfall below the lower support was extremely difficult so I'm a little concerned about removing it. The wires for the audio and common for the XM Radio are extremely thin and short and were extremely difficult to connect to.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
fastkey
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gearhead65
Here's a DIY for adding an Auxillary input to a C6 with XM. First, thanks to Ray for his information in this post and help in figuring out the wiring on the XM!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=c6+aux+input

First, go buy one of these at your local Radio Shack.
Attachment 48169898

Then, pull your XM module out of the back. You'll need to cut back some of the black wire wrap around the harness coming to the unit.
Attachment 48169899

I also found someone on another Corvette forum that posted a diagram from an 2005 C6 Digital Receiver. It appears to be the same for my 07.
Attachment 48169900

Cut off the female end of the radio shack extension cord (I cut around 10 feet off) and strip back the wiring. Connections should be made as follows:
Red - Green/White (Right Audio)
White - Brown/White (Left Audio)
Bare - Tan/White (Common)
I first tried to connect these without disconnecting the three (3) wires from the XM harness. I could only get a humm and no audio. So, since I don't subscribe to XM, I cut these wire a couple inches from the harness and hooked them directly to the extension cord. (Don't forget to insulate the bare leads with tape or or a blind crimp connector.) This worked perfectly. Just switch to the XM band and turn on your iPod (or whatever device you have it plugged into)
Attachment 48169901
Attachment 48169902

It was a 5 minute job to run the extension cord under the carpeting and up under the side of the console to the cup holder area.
Attachment 48169903

If you do subscribe to XM, you will need to install and 3PDT switch to switch between XM and Aux input. So far, I don't see away around this if you use the XM, but other may have suggestions. I'm not an XM fan, thus not concerned about it.

Thanks again Ray (Kawal) for the inspiration and help.

Enjoy!
does it also work with a sir - gm1
Old 02-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, in fact it's an easier mod with the SIRIUS tuner.

You can use the SIRIUS to XM wiring harness/adapter that comes with the SIR-GM1 to build out the aux input, on the bench instead of in the car.

Very easy if you have soldering skills.

Instead of a cable with a plug, I mounted a switching jack in my center console. I used a 1/4" jack instead of the normal 1/8" because the switching contacts are more robust.

Here's a couple pics with the old IPOD. And I have the SIR-GM1 Tuner.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 02-22-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM
cam1969
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

For about $40 you can can hook up a Bluetooth receiver to the xm instead of a wire. Much easier and cleaner than running a wire. [img]webkit-fake-url://8670b8fe-1dc6-4740-96eb-50c6d6444f34/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 02-23-2018, 12:21 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So are you saying that there's a Bluetooth box that will connect to your music player and then wire-less link to your Sirius/XM Tuner?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
So are you saying that there's a Bluetooth box that will connect to your music player and then wire-less link to your Sirius/XM Tuner?
If yes please tell us more....
Old 03-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Interested as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Great mod - just did it yesterday and only cost $6 for a aux cable. Unfortunately I broke off the clip attaching the left rear speaker panel, around the hatch shock while trying to gain access to the XM module. I was debating just buying a used 08+ radio, but I prefer the Aux cable coming out of the center console rather than the front of the radio and dangling around.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 PM
famedja
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm trying this mod and got my wires spliced to what I am certain is the XM module in the back of my coupe. However, I have no antenna and there is no option to switch to XM radio on my navigation screen. I am realizing I should have noticed that before splicing wires, but w/e, the damage is done!

Has anyone ran into this issue on the nav screen not showing XM? I checked and everything is plugged in to the XM module. hitting the "SRCE" button does nothing, unless I'm in navigation mode, in which case it switches back to the view pictured below: https://i.imgur.com/HBpqK7A.jpg

edit: I should have searched first -- apparently this is a common problem. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the XM module and that didn't help. It's possible I messed it up splicing, but I am almost positive the XM button wasn't there before I spliced. I had a 4 hour drive home so I got pretty familiar with the nav unit. I'll try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes tomorrow.

Last edited by famedja; 08-07-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:55 PM
Davtc
1st Gear

Default Aux splice

This is fantastic information, took me longer to drive to the store to buy an aux cord then the splicing. 10$ and 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: $9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM