C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning rear hatch lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Cleaning rear hatch lid

I just took delivery of a new Z06. The dealer didn't have much time to really clean the car up and to do a thorough detail job. So in the end I am cleaning up their mess. Under the rear hatch compartment lid the dark grey area near the latch. I used a simple foaming window cleaner and wiped it with a towel. But when I was doing this it was like the window cleaner was removing the color from the finish. The window cleaner is GM window cleaner that is in rattle can. Anyone else run into this? Sorta strange as I am not sure if the dealer applied something to the underside of the hatch lid. I then tried plain water on a rag, and where the window cleaner was used it seems to wipe cleanly, however where the areas were untouched by the cleaner it seems that the water beads up like it had wax or something else applied to it.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
I just took delivery of a new Z06. The dealer didn't have much time to really clean the car up and to do a thorough detail job. So in the end I am cleaning up their mess. Under the rear hatch compartment lid the dark grey area near the latch. I used a simple foaming window cleaner and wiped it with a towel. But when I was doing this it was like the window cleaner was removing the color from the finish. The window cleaner is GM window cleaner that is in rattle can. Anyone else run into this? Sorta strange as I am not sure if the dealer applied something to the underside of the hatch lid. I then tried plain water on a rag, and where the window cleaner was used it seems to wipe cleanly, however where the areas were untouched by the cleaner it seems that the water beads up like it had wax or something else applied to it.
That's been mentioned before here. Whatever Chevy uses on that surround, it comes off far too easily.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I’d stay away from any window cleaner that has ammonia in it. I believe the GM stuff does contain ammonia but I’m not 100% sure. I have one very small spot on my hatch that I believe was caused by using a cleaner with ammonia!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

First you need to test what ever you use to see if it removes the finish. I just use 303 superprotectant
Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
First you need to test what ever you use to see if it removes the finish. I just use 303 superprotectant
Yep, thats what I use.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

The finish on my rear hatch area appears to be mildly damaged from the PDI/clean-up. I recall someone used a product called Mother's, Back to Black to fix it up. I have never used this product and do not know how it would work. Maybe someone who has used it will chime in.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:38 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Same thing happened to me on my 05. But after the first cleaning it never happened again. I am beginning to think it might have been a release agent used in the mold for the hatch piece. Mine looks the same as when new but never had the black/grey come off again after the first cleaning.
I think you will be okay.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Same thing happened to me on my 05. But after the first cleaning it never happened again. I am beginning to think it might have been a release agent used in the mold for the hatch piece. Mine looks the same as when new but never had the black/grey come off again after the first cleaning.
I think you will be okay.
Thats exactly what was coming off, it was almost like I was wiping their paint off. Strange as heck if you as me, what is this 303 protectant, is it the 303 Aerospace protectant and is it shiney like that crap Armor All? As I have never used this before.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

what is this 303 protectant, is it the 303 Aerospace protectant and is it shiney like that crap Armor All?
It is by far the best vinyl product, very slight shine, last and has all the protectant for UV exposure. I find it the local marine stores.

"303 is THE LEADER in UV screening technology. 303 Aerospace Protectant really is like "SPF 40 Sunscreen ... For Your Stuff." Regular use gives 100% Prevention of UV caused slow-fade with regular use. No other "protectant" beautifies as intensely, protects as powerfully or lasts as long.

The World's Most Manufacturer-Recommended Product:
Because of its enduring cosmetic properties, the resistance of 303-treated surfaces to dust, soiling, and staining, its water repellency and unparalleled protective characteristics, manufacturers worldwide recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant.
303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials “like new” year after year. Use on Rubber: Tires, neoprene, latex, door and trunk seals, weather-stripping, EPDM rubber roofs, CV boots, waders, wet suits. Vinyl: Convertible tops (and the clear vinyl windows), isinglass, marine seating, tonneau covers, car bras, covers, spa covers, pool covers. Inflatable boats: Hypalon, PVC and urethane blends. Gelcoat fiberglass: Boats, RV’s, snowmobiles, jet ski’s. Plastics/acrylics/polycarbonates: Lexan® and acrylic panels/windows/windshields/covers. Carbon-fiber/resin composites: Fishing rods, “nude” bike frames. Finished leather: Upholstery, motorcycle leather, trim, tack, fine apparel. Pool & Patio: Plastic furniture (not fabric), pool inflatables, slides, covers. Sailcloth: Dacron® and monofilm."
Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 AM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

I have the same issue.... and I have some back to black.. I'll try it later and let you know.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dknight129
I have the same issue.... and I have some back to black.. I'll try it later and let you know.
Thank You. I would like to hear a follow up.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I tried the 303 Protectant, and I tried some Mequires Vinyl and Rubber treatment. Both will turn my rag black just like the window cleaner. It is strange as heck, I have not tried to back to black stuff yet. Sorta scared to try that one!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

back to black worked for me, it is now solid looking and looks good.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 AM
toddgbaker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success?

Well, I tried the 303 Protectant, and I tried some Mequires Vinyl and Rubber treatment. Both will turn my rag black just like the window cleaner. It is strange as heck, I have not tried to back to black stuff yet. Sorta scared to try that one!
Dear Sir,
I know this was a long time ago, but did you ever get the issue resolved with your rear hatch trim? Same issue with my 07 Vette. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Todd

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning rear hatch lid

Quick Reply: Cleaning rear hatch lid