C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Vette-Air Inlet and Halltech Venom Install on LS2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
yes...i read it, but...whatever.
Ok! Thanks for playing...
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice job.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Apparently you didn't read my response above..You're still dealing with a 200 degree+ Radiator...

Think Outside the (air) box....
does the rad. radiate heat, or does the fan circulate the heat?

simple test, let the car completely cool. take a filter side shroud temp. reading, start her up, let her idle up to operating temp. (with hood closed), open the hood, take a shroud temp. reading, close the hood, let her idle until the fan comes on, let her idel for 5 more mins., take a shroud temp reading.

imo, anytime you can isolate engine from intake temps. the more performance that is potentially ava.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Here are a couple of other views of the Vette-Air Inlet. Its easier to see how it dumps air in the filter area from these angles.

Wow! Just saw this thread thank to Carlos! What a fantastic job you did with the installation!

I am going to put a link to this thread on my website for install. Very Very nice! Thank You!

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
Wow! Just saw this thread thank to Carlos! What a fantastic job you did with the installation!

I am going to put a link to this thread on my website for install. Very Very nice! Thank You!

Jim Hall

No problem Jim...My Killer Bee arrived today. I sent you an email. The original install was here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1776343

Zpirate must have figured if I did it once I probably wouldn't screw up his...

Mine looks like this now:

Last edited by Modshack; 08-13-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Hall

Jim Hall
Thanks Jim. And thanks to Modshack for most of the work. I lent him a hand and took the pictures.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What does the Killer Bee offer that the Stinger doesn't?

I have the Stinger and did the poor boy mod that was on the forum awhile back. That is the one where you open up the bottom portion of the radiator shroud. Seems to work OK, but the engine compartment does gets a bit more grit.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Modshack
No problem Jim...My Killer Bee arrived today. I sent you an email. The original install was here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1776343

Zpirate must have figured if I did it once I probably wouldn't screw up his...
Looking good Steve. I can't wait to hear your impressions after driving the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CK 6
What does the Killer Bee offer that the Stinger doesn't?

I have the Stinger and did the poor boy mod that was on the forum awhile back. That is the one where you open up the bottom portion of the radiator shroud. Seems to work OK, but the engine compartment does gets a bit more grit.
The Halltech Venom (LS2) and the Halltech Killer Bee (LS3 and Z06) have a different filter than the Stinger does. The Killer Bee can also be adapted to an LS2, but the LS3 has a different MAF sensor so the LS2 MAF has to be reprogrammed to use the Killer Bee.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Thudux
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome write up but quick question......Can I use the scoop with a K&N too? And another question what would happen if u just make holes where you cut to bring in more air; is the scoop neccasary?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Thudux
Awesome write up but quick question......Can I use the scoop with a K&N too? And another question what would happen if u just make holes where you cut to bring in more air; is the scoop neccasary?
The Vette air scoop is ~2" X 20" at the opening, so it can catch a lot of air. It's smaller at the exit. In addition, the front opening of the scoop is about 5" in front of the radiator, close to the grill, at the top, so it's getting the most cold air available. The Vette-Air works well with the Halltech unit as the air discharge for the Vette-Air hits the closed end of the filter(which acts as a diffuser) and the air flow has to move to the sides of the filter's closed end and then flows perpendicular to the filter's intake on the sides. This acts to diffuse the air.

When using the Vette-Air with the factory LS3/LS7 air breather(which works very well) most of us have found that the discharge air from the Vette-Air is forced into the open end of the air breather and the result is turbulence across the MAF sensor, causing all kinds of problems.

It is easily solved by adding a flat diffuser plate on top of the Vette-Air discharge opening using the two rear bolts. I made a plate 3.5" X 18" from 1/8"plexiglass and sealed the front of the plate to the bumper beam using 1/8" ID vacuum tubing slit lengthwise. The diffuser plate I added does the same thing that the closed end of the Halltech filter does. It causes the air to flow around to the sides where the air breather can still digest it, but prevents turbulence from screwing up the MAF readings.

Even with the diffuser plate, you still get the all the cold air as the air that flows around the flat diffused plate creates a curtain of cold air surrounding the breather's intake opening that the air breather ingests.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-19-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Thudux
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

JoeC5 - Would this set-up work well with an LS2 and a K&N Intake? Or should I just cut a hole and leave as is?

Modshack/Z pIrate - What is your opinion?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Now that's pretty nice.That's the stock intake,right??You selling that cover?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM
mertciller
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hey guys , i just got my ls2 and halltech , i see now corvette air is not recommended cause of turbulance have you guys cut the corner of the shroud to see if it works better ? and any instructions?

Quick Reply: Pictures of Vette-Air Inlet and Halltech Venom Install on LS2