Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
djfullshred
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by iridelow View Post
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. GRANT!!!!!!

That's why I have the clear top, none of the above..
I have both tops, and the creaks were the same for both...that is what made me realize the car was creaking when the top was on, not the top itself.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Michael A
CF Senior Member

This is exactly why Chevy should offer the Coupe with an optional fixed roof (for those who can't afford a Z06). Why should the people who have no desire to take out their roof put up with all this trouble?

Michael
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 PM
beaversstonehaven
CF Senior Member

My '06 coupe has the old style poly-carb roof. I do have some minor squeaks and creaks but it does not seem to be getting any worse with time at this point @ ~33,000 miles. About 10,000 miles ago I lubed the pins with silicone grease. On occasion I will pop the roof off and use some silicone spray on the rubber seals. I get an old rag and heavily spray a corner of the rag and wipe the seal. This seems to work pretty well with my car. As time goes on I have noticed that the little squeaks and creaks bother me less and less. Good Luck with yours.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
ohmy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
This is exactly why Chevy should offer the Coupe with an optional fixed roof (for those who can't afford a Z06). Why should the people who have no desire to take out their roof put up with all this trouble?

Michael
AMEN BROTHER!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
zmike6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael A View Post

Michael
AMEN Seconded!

As laughable as it may sound, these roof noises (and the lack of a fixed-roof option on the base C6 coupe) is the biggest thing that keeps me from getting a Corvette. I would need it to be my daily driver, and I won't put up with constant pops, creaks, squeaks, or rattles. I know some of you have had success reducing the roof noises with silicone grease, the heatshrink tubing, and maybe some other methods, but I'm not confident I'd be able to duplicate that success.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
SnapperDragon
CF Senior Member

You people don't drive with the roof off all the time? What?!!

One of the features I love about my base vette is that it has the removable roof. No problems with it yet (07 bought in March, now nearing 3K miles). However, it's rearely on. Only when I need to wash it and then it's back off.

The only noise I have is with right front roof panel support piece in the back hatch when I have it stowed. Creaks really bad on uneven roads. I should look at it. Not sure exactly how that part is held in place but it just needs to be pushed down or tightened.

Also, mine is not a DD or left out in the hot sun with the top on so the problems may be there but I haven't run into them due to how I use the car.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
SnapperDragon
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zmike6 View Post
AMEN Seconded!

As laughable as it may sound, these roof noises (and the lack of a fixed-roof option on the base C6 coupe) is the biggest thing that keeps me from getting a Corvette. I would need it to be my daily driver, and I won't put up with constant pops, creaks, squeaks, or rattles. I know some of you have had success reducing the roof noises with silicone grease, the heatshrink tubing, and maybe some other methods, but I'm not confident I'd be able to duplicate that success.
Well, I see your point. I love my vette and wouldn't let such a minor problem keep me from getting this car. I would just look at it as part of the character of the car and work on it until I resolved it. Just depends on how much you like the car and what you are willing to put up with.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM
AtHomeSoda
CF Senior Member

Default Not Only Grant

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. GRANT!!!!!! ..... AND his wife.... to be exact.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:27 AM
02vetteghost

What i have noticed mine strated today and i saw that the rubber washer was missing on one side must have fallen off when I took my top off so I'm gojng to get a new one I belive it was creaking due to it being uneven in the fitting process beca use one side has a washer and the other side does not its a small pink washer that goes around the front pins
Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Welker1
CF Senior Member

Have seen several posts on this issue; fortunately, I guess I've been one of the lucky ones -- 2006 (bought new), 90K+ miles, many long road trips over all kinds of roads and no creaks or squeaks.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-31-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 AM
02vetteghost

I think mine is squeaking due to losing front pin washer
Old 03-31-2016, 01:29 AM
corvette312
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default squeeking/noise

Originally Posted by last901 View Post
Mine doesn't. '07 C6 5200 miles.
My 2007 Coupe with 9800 miles does not either.

Knocking on wood !!!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 AM
unixcorn
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

This is an 9 year old thread. The creaking roof has been solved many times. Check the stickies at the top of the page for solutions. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM
markab
CF Senior Member

09 with almost 90,000 yes, been cracking and squeaking since day one I brought it (new by the way) it hasn't gotten any worse its only bad on bumpy rough roads..lol
Old 03-31-2016, 10:24 AM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW!!!! I can't believe that a thread from 2007 was re-opened yesterday. Everything that is being said about delamination etc. has been fixed through a safety recall.
If you have top noise, you can almost be assured that it's not from delamination, unless you bought a 2005-2006 vehicle that was stored in a garage since that time. in 2008, the front latches were changed to a solid roller design from a rolling design. That alone stopped a lot of the side to side noise.

There are so many threads on creaking, popping, noisy tops that there is even a Sticky on the subject, as well as a DIY you tube video, and various fixes for each situation.
Some of the common problems:
1) Make sure you lubricate the rubber seals (weatherstripping)
2) With cars pre 2009, with the rolling rollers on the front latches, install a 5/32" or 3/16" e-clip on the side of the 7mm roller, and this will prevent the side to side movement.
3) Use an extra O-ring on the posts
4) Put electrical heat shrink wrap on the rear posts to stop the metal to metal contact with the receiver.
5) The rear J-hook can be tightened or loosened to stop some noise.
etc etc.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM
csf
CF Senior Member

Not saying it will work, but just lightly tapping the windows down a fraction of an inch can sometimes atop the creaking if it only happens with the windows up. If it creaks with the windows down its obviously another issue.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 AM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Buy industrial strength black Velcro. Use just the furry side. Cut to about the width and length of your pinky finger.

Three little pieces needed.

One on each of the front handle where it makes contact and one on the rear hook..

I did this mod because I was going insane on the creeky roof....took about a minute to cut and install...did it while the roof was on the car ....

Amazing how easy this install was....AND HOW IT GOT RID OF ALL THE CRECKS AND RATTLES....

just tightens up the roof I guess...all I know the roof is silent for the past few thousand miles...I had been going insane with the roof noise...and nobody could see the 3 little strips of Velcro...

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerriVette For This Useful Post:
4SUMERZ (04-01-2016), MKenM (04-19-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02vetteghost View Post
What i have noticed mine strated today and i saw that the rubber washer was missing on one side must have fallen off when I took my top off so I'm gojng to get a new one I belive it was creaking due to it being uneven in the fitting process beca use one side has a washer and the other side does not its a small pink washer that goes around the front pins
Hi 02vetteghost,

Im sorry to hear that your Targa Top started creaking. I see that you may have already found the fix, but Id be happy to investigate this further on my end as well.

Please send me your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealer if youd like my assistance.

Have a great weekend,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by markab View Post
09 with almost 90,000 yes, been cracking and squeaking since day one I brought it (new by the way) it hasn't gotten any worse its only bad on bumpy rough roads..lol
Hey markab,

I certainly understand how this squeaking could be frustrating, even though its only noticeable on bumpy roads. If youd like, we can discuss this concern further in a private message.

In this message, please include your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership so I can better assist.

Kindly,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
Buy industrial strength black Velcro. Use just the furry side. Cut to about the width and length of your pinky finger.

Three little pieces needed.

One on each of the front handle where it makes contact and one on the rear hook..

I did this mod because I was going insane on the creeky roof....took about a minute to cut and install...did it while the roof was on the car ....

Amazing how easy this install was....AND HOW IT GOT RID OF ALL THE CRECKS AND RATTLES....

just tightens up the roof I guess...all I know the roof is silent for the past few thousand miles...I had been going insane with the roof noise...and nobody could see the 3 little strips of Velcro...

Hope this helps
That is a great tip and may help someone who has tried all the other fixes without success.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4SUMERZ For This Useful Post:
JerriVette (04-02-2016)