C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
07FX4INSD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak?

My 2008 has about 2600 miles on it... I've started to notice squeaking and creaking from the top (solid color top) when going over uneven road surfaces.

Is this normal?
Will this get worse as mileage increases?
Can this be fixed?
Who's burried in Grant's tomb?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

While I'm not saying this is your problem, here is my experience with it. If its a painted top and its squeaking and creaking, the glue may be coming loose. That was the first sign that I had that my top was separating. After the squeaks and creaks stopped, I then had a slight wind noise, that was the warning to take it to the dealer and have them check it. Sure enough it needed replacement, and this was even after the recall foam fix was performed on the thing.

No problems so far since the top replacement.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'am on my 3rd roof, and yes it still squeaks and creaks.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Mine doesn't. '07 C6 5200 miles.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
austinC6
Instructor

My 2005 daily driver squeaks so badly that I'm embarrassed to give anyone a ride in my car. It's much worse after sitting in the hot Texas sun all day. I too had the top replaced after the original started squeaking, but the new one is way worse than the original top ever got. I've tried lubricating the weatherstrip and the holes where the pegs sit. No improvement.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

You have got to be kidding me! All of these stories sound like the start of delamination! Take the top off and check REAL close for separation. The first sign is creaking. I would have thought this was fixed!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
M321
Instructor

i greased mine with cheap all purpose grease about a month ago and its been quiet as a mouse ever since. D'ont know how long this will last though and hope its not delaminating.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1st try pool silicone grease on front & rear rubber seals.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
1st try pool silicone grease on front & rear rubber seals.
I used silicone grease from the auto supply store. It helped 90%. It squeaks much less, but I hear a little sqeak every once in a while.

And BTW, I only have the acrylic roof so it's not a delamination issue.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
thx007
Racer

Mine did this driving home after buying it... 3 miles on Odo! Here's what I have found and read so far... it isn't delaminating. Not a paint or finish issue, but rather its fitment in the opening when the chassis torques and vibrates. That's why some people have success with adjusting the pins and/or using grease, etc.

The other factor I think may be in play... should do a poll... temperature. Hot weather seems to make things worse perhaps. The expansion and contraction of materials may make a difference.

Good luck with it! Just take it out and all will be swell!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has started to make popping noises when driven over uneven surfaces on a warm day. It was quiet until I had it foamed a couple of months ago....sounds like the first signs of delamination...

Answers to your questions.
1. Yes
2. Yes- unfortunately.
3. Yes
4. Don't have a clue.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

I used Silicone Spray on my C5and C6 tops with great success. The problem of creaking seemed to worsen in hot weather.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

I have learned first hand that the creaks can be a syndrome (lots of different causes), not just one thing that is common among everyone's Vettes.

Here is what I found on my car...

The right rear was making excessive creaking after the car was several months old. Excessive meaning almost constant starting a few months ago.

After trial & error, I found that the passenger side rear roof pin was wearing a lot more into the plastic socket on the rear pillar. I bought a sheet of adhesive backed felt & cut some pieces to line the socket. This made the pins fit in tighter & not grind against the plastic sockets.

I had to loosen the rear clamp on the roof panel, as it was now harder to lock after lining the sockets with felt (untightened the locking allen nut, and then unscrew the locking pin one turn).

There was still some more noise from the same area. I then realized the right rear pin socket was transferring vibration through the interior center B pillar plastic cover/panel, and was in turn rubbing against the lower interior panel. Some more felt pieces between plastic interior panels to ensure no plastic on plastic rubbing. Intersting that this noise didn't happen with the roof off, as the noise area was not directly attached to the roof mounting.

As for the silicone grease...a mess for no reason on my car. The rubber was not making the noise. Plastic parts rubbing together was. The stuff creeps, and is messy, so say avoid it unless you are sure it is the rubber molding that is squeeking.

It seems that felt adhesive is becoming one of my most used things in my Corvette toolbox. So far things are quiet again after my low tech garage re-engineering.

Last edited by djfullshred; 08-14-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Covering the top pins with a piece of heat shrink tubing and then heating the tubing to conform to the shape of the pins is the only thing I have found that works for me. If you do this it will be silent until you remove the top 3-4 times and the heat shrink will start to get worn and need to be replaced again.
I am really pizzed the guys at GM cant come up with some type of teflon pin shroud for the top that would eliminate the noise permanently.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

About one year after I got my 2005 C6 I started hearing minor stress noises when traversing uneven terrain at slow speeds. It truly was a non-problem for me but ultimately, the dealership replaced my roof and performed the adhesive/foam fix.

I now hear very minor stress noises again...it's not severe enough to really bother me but I will have the dealership check it out at some point in the near future. In the interim, I may try lubricating the seal and possibly replacing the small, cone-shaped pin receptacles (I've heard this may help as well).

I wouldn't assume the worst but I definitely suggest you have your dealership check it out.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07FX4INSD
My 2008 has about 2600 miles on it... I've started to notice squeaking and creaking from the top (solid color top) when going over uneven road surfaces.

Is this normal?
Will this get worse as mileage increases?
Can this be fixed?
Who's burried in Grant's tomb?

Thank you in advance.
Don't worry your roof is NOT delaminating!!!! You have a SMC roof....so need to worry!

My old top delaminated then I received my replacement SMC top and it creaked and squeaked, so I stopped by KarlK (forum member) house used some of his silicone lubricant on the rubber weather stripping and on the pins etc..and the noise is GONE!!!

I am going to say it again...you have an 08 and your top is NOT delaminating.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
07FX4INSD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Purdue
Don't worry your roof is NOT delaminating!!!! You have a SMC roof....so need to worry!

My old top delaminated then I received my replacement SMC top and it creaked and squeaked, so I stopped by KarlK (forum member) house used some of his silicone lubricant on the rubber weather stripping and on the pins etc..and the noise is GONE!!!

I am going to say it again...you have an 08 and your top is NOT delaminating.
PURDUE!!! As always, YOO DA MAN!!!! I'm going to start with the Silicone Lubricant

Get notified of new replies

To Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Arkgunner
Intermediate

My 08 started popping the first day. I have had it one week now and have not had a chance to do anything yet. It pops less after heating in the sun.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07FX4INSD
PURDUE!!! As always, YOO DA MAN!!!! I'm going to start with the Silicone Lubricant
I hope the silicone lub works for you . It took 2 days after applying it for my noises to go away!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. GRANT!!!!!!

That's why I have the clear top, none of the above..

Quick Reply: Does your Targa Top Squeak & Creak?