C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gap insurance and totaling a car???

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best deal, if you are into insurance, is to get agreed value added to your insurance policy. $42 a year for $56K ageed value. If my C6 is totaled I get $56k from the insurance, regardless of vehicle's age or mileage.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
PeteTheGreek
Racer

Better read your policy. They likely will pay you the agreed value of 56k or the actual cash value of the car, whichever is less. Or the agreed value amount is adjusted down each year. No way a carrier would pay you 56k 5 years from now for a car that will be worth say 20k. If they would, everyone with this kind of coverage would "accidentally" drive their car into a pond to collect. Not a risk the insurance company is willing to take. They owe you the value of the car and nothing more. Now most policies will pay you original cost if a new car is totaled, but there is usually anywhere from a a 90 day to a 1 year time limit.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Dogue
Racer

Progressive offers Loan/Lease Payoff, which for about $10/yr pays up to an additional 25% of your cars value to cover what you owe. I like that better than GAP unless you are way upside down.
To those that prefer to pay cash...why. With some of the interest rates available, including 0% at times, there is no reason to not to use the banks money. Basic mutual funds are making over 10% (if you're conservative) and unless your credit is terrible you can get a loan much cheaper than that.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Brewz
Instructor

Originally Posted by yarbsea
You have no flippen idea what you are saying. You are the idiot.

People with money SHOULD finance the entire price of the vehicle, and get GAP coverage...and here's why...

If you finance the whole thing with GAP and total it the first month (or whenever), you are out NOTHING but the sales tax. Enjoy!

If you put 20k down on the purchase or even stranger pay the whole thing in full, then when you crash it - ENJOY eating your 10k loss.

Think before you make stuff up
Amen!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Stinger !!
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mich150
That's why I pay cash and put liability insurance on mine. Oh, and why I can afford my cars. I just joined this forum and have never in my life see so many people want to beat on their chest about their new car and how many vettes they have had etc... It's a car people. Thanks for the english lesson, I stand corrected. There are a few who know what they are talking about on this board and it is a great source of information. The other 90% are kids and people who live paycheck to paycheck to own a Corvette. Each to their own I guess. See ya.
In response to your ridiculous post...

In addition to the 'glutten' of vettes sitting on dealers lots, I wonder how much this # would increase if only those who wanted one were those who pay cash and don't finance!!

I think I understand your point, but you do not make friends with the way you worded your post...you compromise your point by your poor choice of words...expect heat!

I can afford to pay cash for any (1) new Vette sitting on a dealers lot but I chose to finance mine and keep my money while using GM's...I bought GAP just for peace of mind...and my $60,000 is in my bank account...right were it belongs!!

As far as your comment about living paycheck to paycheck...what point are you trying to make...the majority of Americans have to live that way...as far as I am concerned, you owe this board an explanation and an apology...if not, get lost!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Be aware that GAP insurance will usually only pay up to 125% of the car's value. This happens if you buy a car that depreciates quick with little to no money down. You might say I will never have 25% in negative equity. Look at the housing market these days. Cadillacs lose around 40-50% within 1-2 years. Vettes are not much better from what I have seen. In order for you to not have any negative equity on a $50k car you will have to be around $1500 a month or put down at least $20k.

GAP insurance does not cover what you already paid (down payment) only what you owe. Paying cash is great if you don't total your car (your fault or not) and are not sacrificing real neccessities or expecting the government to pay for those for you. And I would take a 0% deal in a minute since it is basically free money. I can make my money earn at least 6% and that is being ultra conservative.

Too the idiot that pays cash for his cars. Great for you! Who really cares? If your car is totaled tomorrow, enjoy whatever the insurance company's blue book says your car is worth. Hey, after 1-2 years you will only have paid around $20k for owning a Vette. But don't worry you probably have enough cash to buy a new one right?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

you are responsible for your deductible-and no-you don't get the down payment back.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
0Rage@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10

My story...
Bought 07 Z06, Financed thru credit union, NO gap insurance $70,100
Totaled car, 188 miles
Insurance payed $79,995...minus $500.00 for deductible
Bought another Z06, with gap this time, didn't like the dice roll!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Default Vette insurance seems cheap!

...while on this topic of insurance, was anyone else surprised at how cheap their insurance was relative to identical coverage on other vehicles?

I was pleasantly surprised to get my quote on recently purchased vette convertible... much cheaper than my other vehicles which are worth considerably less $$. I even called the insurance company back to ensure I had the correct coverage and vehicle specs.

Is this due to safety record? repair expenses? experience rate?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
cajanddj
Racer

We too were (pleasantly?) surprised at the cost to insure our 07 vette. We got a quote over the phone from our insurance co. and than went in inperson to verify that the quote was indeed the correct price.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Go ARMY! I served for 25 years.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

When my wife's 2005 SRX was totaled this Spring, a GMAC lease with about 10 months remaining, I purchased a 'leftover' 2006 to replace it that had a $10 grand discount and 0% financing. I did that deal rather than another lease and bought the gap insurance through the dealer. My GMAC lease on my CTS's have always included gap insurance and the peace of mind was worth it to me. I purchased my '03 'Vette with the 0% also but didn't opt for gap insurance on that one.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Shangreer
LOL, I love guys like this. How much you want to bet, he hasn't got a dollar to his name? Probably driving around in a 15 year old Mustang bragging to everyone about how he could own a Vette if he really wanted one, but he really likes his Mustang.

One thing you can always count on is that people who have money don't need to brag about it. The ones who brag don't. And, while I don't have an opinion about Gap insurance, I think anyone who buys at $60,000 car and only puts liability on it has more money than sense. The other thing in life you can count on is that someone else's stupidity is going to destroy your hard earned toys. I'd just as soon have insurance when that happens. I am only 36 and have had 3 cars damaged ($2500 plus) and I have never hit a soul.

Shan
I think the guy is just trying to get you guys all boiled up.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CHASLS2
I think the guy is just trying to get you guys all boiled up.
I think it's working!!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

Regarding Agreed Value Coverage:
Policy reads as follows:
For each occurance involving a total loss to a vehicle covered by this endorsement, we'll pay the larger of the Agreed Value or the actual cash value of the vehicle.
Note:
I've already collected under an agreed value endorsement 4 years ago - got paid full agreed value ($18K) for a Honda Del Sol that was 4 years old with 60K miles on it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Duallyvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Duallyvette
Flame me too. I don't believe in gap insurance, extended warranties, and most other insurance coverages. These "products are designed to make MONEY for the sellers, not to help you in a time of need. The odds are in their favor. I ask my insurance agent how much health insurance would cost in order to cover anything that could possibly happen to me. He said that you could add several policy's, but he, I and five other well off people couldn't afford to pay for it. There's no guarantees in this life. crap happens and it costs money. While your buying gap insurance, did you forget credit life insurance, the interior/exterior protection package ? etc.... The finance manager at the dealership makes LOTS of PROFIT selling things that cost the seller, and are worth, very little. You might as well invest at the roulette wheel in Vegas or in lottery tickets !!!
This sure is an old thread. I wonder if the origional poster got his car totaled by the insurance co ?

I may have been too hasty. I havent been in an auto accident in many years. I DO see close calls every day, so I don't know why I feel so secure. I realize that its dangerous out there in traffic, and for the $600 I pay a year for full vette coverage, I wouldn't INSURE (pay for any damage) that any driver, would make it around the block without incident.

Most of my vehicles are dually pickups. I believe that they hold their value pretty good. I've usually felt like they were worth more than I owed on them. I also keep my vehicles 5 or more years. and feel preety satisfied with their value after so many days of use. They're all low mileage ( I can only drive one at a time) If I put 30,000 miles a year on one automobile, I would be MORE aware of depreciation. I spread the 30,000 miles on 3 trucks, two cars, and a motorcycle.

I bought a 2007 3lt mn6 coupe in June. MSRP $ 57,750, paid $ 49,500 + $ 1485 use tax. I didn't realize that 6 months later that the "trade-in price would be $35k or less based on what I've read here. I can live with that since I don't plan to sell until 2012 or 2013 when I have 45,000 miles on it. If someone hits it, I'll sure wish I had a 0 downpayment w/gap ins.:o
Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
PeteTheGreek
Racer

Originally Posted by jwolfrom
Regarding Agreed Value Coverage:
Policy reads as follows:
For each occurance involving a total loss to a vehicle covered by this endorsement, we'll pay the larger of the Agreed Value or the actual cash value of the vehicle.
Note:
I've already collected under an agreed value endorsement 4 years ago - got paid full agreed value ($18K) for a Honda Del Sol that was 4 years old with 60K miles on it.
There must be some kind of underwriting guideline which would reduce or eliminate the agreed value amount after a certain amount of time. Let's assume for arguments sake that you keep the car for 10 years and the carrier continues to provide 56k in coverage for agreed value. I doubt that 10 years from now, if your car is totaled in an accident, they will pay you 56k for a car which will probably be worth in the mid teens by then. You should double check with your agent and get back to us because if they do, I'm switching carriers. 10 years from now, when my car is worth nothing, I'll get a cool 56k for accidentally leaving the car in neutral before it falls off a cliff.

Last edited by PeteTheGreek; 01-05-2008 at 12:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To gap insurance and totaling a car???

Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Ampcass
Instructor

Originally Posted by mich150
If your buying gap insurance you can't afford the car or really dumb.
Yeah, until you get totaled and the insurance company pays an amount based on used blue book and you owe more than that, could be $thousands. Guess I must be really dumb because I can afford the car plus.....
Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Ampcass
Instructor

Originally Posted by yarbsea
DUDES you are all crazy if you don't buy GAP. POINT BLANK.Unless you pay cash for your car - Don't believe me? Then check out http://www.geocities.com/yarbsea

I had a brand new dodge pickup...flipped it, burned up...crispy. If I hadn't bought that "unnecessary" $300 gap coverage I would have had to cover the difference of around 5 grand - and that's just BASIC depreciation without fees/taxes/etc.

Instead of acting high and mighty about "cash is king" - get real. Join most of us in the REAL WORLD. I fly jets in the USAF and make about 75k so no dude, I can't stash away 50k and pay cash. And you know what, I'd rather borrow the money today and drive than get killed in some random country and never have experienced the PLEASURE you must feel being able to pay cash. So congratulations - you're set...leave us peon's to our own devices.
Originally Posted by armyyellow05
Enlisted here so I definitely feel that. Go try and kick in doors in Iraq for a few months and see if you give a flip about those kinds of things.... Enjoy it today you cant take it with you.

I have a son in Special Forces and he is in harms way again for about the 6th time that I know of. Thanks for serving our country.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 AM
PhotoLad
Pro

Originally Posted by moolys
That was a nice DSOM Vert it broke my heart to see the car all busted up like that glad that your family was ok well you got another orange I think for O9 it is discontinued I saw that on another post we will see.
Thanks moolys if this was directed at us. If orange goes away it's OK, wife is sure looking at the Jet Stream Blue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gap insurance and totaling a car???