C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 01:08 AM
Nilla Ice
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bob Lutz - leave it big! (Mike263)

I want a sports car! Make it a little smaller, lighter, and faster. Lots and lots of people will buy it.
Considering they had to work extra hours just to meet the sales demand of the C5 for 2001, I think plenty of people are buying the current design. If a Miata and Z3 are sports cars, then I'll take the C5 "race" car. :)

Tony

I am on a posting terror right now! Thanks to Mr Lutz! :D

[Modified by Nilla Ice, 11:08 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-07-2001, 10:59 AM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Default Re: Bob Lutz - leave it big! (Nilla Ice)

I'd be nervous about Lutz. Sure he's the darling of the automotive world BUT...he produced a Viper that is a piece of crap, poor body style, can't sell any where near what the Corvette sells...and the final piece of his puzzle...Chrysler has to sell out to the Germans!!! WTF!!!!

I'd like to see Lutz take his retirement and take a hike. Put John Cafaro back on the C6 Project and keep Dave Hill and his group at the front also. We're doing just fine with what we have. Great car and great people producing a unique car that many of us can buy.
Bob
Old 12-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Woah, down boys.

Woah, down boys.

To cast aspersions on Mr. Lutz for everything wrong at Chrysler isn't really fair. (Neither is deifying him and expecting him to fix everything at GM -- he won't be there that long.)

Lutz is good for GM. And his comments notwithstanding, there's not much he can do to change Corvette. Its product life cycle is too long, his contract too short, and its market (and heritage) too well-defined for him to make radical changes. I didn't like his comment about it being so big and heavy, but let's face it, a top-level pressure on weight reduction and handling improvement just gives Dave Hill the backing he needs to keep the car tight. And Lutz's more general comments in his now-famous memo "strongly held beliefs" assure us that Corvette won't get silly with doodads and won't cost too much.

Corvette sales depend on repeat buyers. There's no way the gains of C5 in passenger ergonomics and cargo capacity will be lost in C6 -- that's product suicide and even Mr. Lutz would admit that -- and that pretty much dictates a non-small car.

I look forward to the improvements Lutz's influence makes on the rest of the GM line.

.Jinx
Old 12-07-2001, 12:14 PM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette (Senna1994)

I agree, I like the c5 size and handling. what your going to make the new c6 like the BMW Z3, Z8 or the Boxer. I hope not. the only thing GM needs to do is have more engine options in all the models not just the Z06

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette