C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 08:29 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette

Did anyone have the chance to read the newest interview with Bob Lutz on http://www.autoweek.com?
Asked about the C6, he thinks the current C5 is too big and heavy. He speaks about refinement and
agility. Take a look interesting article. :flag
Old 11-06-2001, 10:35 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette (Senna1994)

Hehehehe..... lighter + more hp = :jester
Old 11-06-2001, 11:32 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette (Senna1994)

AW: Doesn’t that escalate the price?
Lutz: It shouldn’t—it’s just a better way of allocating cost. One thing that Europeans, or really anyone outside of U.S. says about the Corvette is “why does it have to be so big and heavy?” And that’s really the area we’re going to focus on—weight and agility

But I like my Vette big. I don’t want a Z3.

George
Old 11-06-2001, 11:50 PM
MitchellDavidson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette (999)

I want it big but light! :yesnod: 450hp + 2600lb's = 2003 Viper Killer! :boxing
Old 11-06-2001, 11:52 PM
myruby2
Instructor

Default Re: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette (999)

One thing that Europeans, or really anyone outside
of U.S. says about the Corvette is “why does it have to be
so big and heavy?”
If he makes it to much smaller it won't be a "Vette"
When it comes to little sporty cars it would be hard to beat
a "Z" Bimmer.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:28 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Bob Lutz - leave it big!

To heck with the Europeans, or anyone outside the US.

Why does it have to be so big and heavy? Because it's POWERFUL, it's COMFORTABLE, and you can take your LUGGAGE with you.

If I wanted a toy car, I would have bought an S2000.

Has Lutz actually DRIVEN a C5? It's plenty agile.

If GM has to have a tiny two-seater, bring back the Fiero.

Maranello is big. Diablo is big. Viper is big. What's wrong with big?

It's called PRESENCE. Look it up.

I'm all for the continuous application of new technology to improve the existing formula -- after all, C5 is lighter than C4. But smaller? Stick your smaller where the sun don't shine, Bobby.

.Jinx http://atomicbuffalo.com/corvette
Old 11-07-2001, 12:19 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz - leave it big! (Jinx)

To heck with the Europeans, or anyone outside the US.

Why does it have to be so big and heavy? Because it's POWERFUL, it's COMFORTABLE, and you can take your LUGGAGE with you.

If I wanted a toy car, I would have bought an S2000.

I'm all for the continuous application of new technology to improve the existing formula -- after all, C5 is lighter than C4. But smaller? Stick your smaller where the sun don't shine, Bobby.

.Jinx http://atomicbuffalo.com/corvette
(and for my 500th post)

Jinx - agree with everything you said. i dont want amything much smaller than the c5. as far as heavy, i like the feel of having some mass under my a_s_s! besides, ever weigh a viper??? the c5 package if just fine IMO. they (gm) should stick with what works - i don't want some cute, little, toy car! if they downsize the corvette, they should remember what happened in 1974 when ford came out with the mustang II - not one of fords brighter moves. if they do down size the corvette, what next, a V6. we are AMERICANS - we like our cars big, heavy, and powerful!!! :flag
Old 11-07-2001, 02:47 PM
silverbulletII
Instructor

Default Re: Bob Lutz - leave it big! (joe ciechanowski)

If they make it any smaller I won't be able to fit in it! I'm 6'-3' and am right on the ragged edge already, of not having ample head or leg room. Ineed to have either a glass top or rag top in order to keep my head from touching the roof panel. Yes, the European cars are all smaller, but with the exception of the Mercedes, I can't fit into any of them......ZIP.....NADA. Looks like I may have to be satisfied with C5 and older vettes, in our new one world order!!
Old 11-07-2001, 04:05 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Except that he didn't say that he wanted it to be smaller. He said "And that’s really the area we’re going to focus on—weight and agility."

What's wrong with making it handle even better? After all, only one car in the world can be the best-handling. How many of you think that the 'Vette is currently the best handling car in the world.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:33 PM
ERIC JORDAN
Advanced

Default Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level

Cry less guys,

Bob Lutz is going to help GM take the VET to the next level. More power, less weigth, smaller and better looking rear end I hope. Several of my fellow viper owners made the comment that with Lutz at the wheel the Vet could we be one of the high water mark cars before the EPA cans our heavy emmisions life style. AC cobras were great because they were light, small, handled well and had insane power. If Lutz builds a small variant buy it.

Eric Jordan
96RT10 White with Blue Stripes

[Modified by ERIC JORDAN, 11:35 PM 11/7/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 07:38 PM
Plasticfantastic
Instructor

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (ERIC JORDAN)

Iagree with lighter, technology is making it easier every day.
I don't agree with smaller, Miatas and Z3s just look like toys. Stick with the current size.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:53 PM
silverbulletII
Instructor

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (ERIC JORDAN)

Lutz said "they don't need to be so BIG and heavy", which means he thinks they should be SMALLER!!!...........I like the current size, if that is what big is then so be it!
Old 11-07-2001, 08:16 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

They were getting him a Z06 when I was over there for the Dave Hill Chat.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:21 PM
DarkDragon
Advanced

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (silverbulletII)

Well, it's already known that the C6 will be shorter, thus less luggage space. The C6 will surely be dropped down a class to compete with the Z3, S2000, CLK, Boxster, TT, etc. It will no longer be a good touring car and will definitely loose part of it's customer base because of this fact. Many want an attractive sports car they can drive every day or on long trips. GM obviously hopes those people will move to the XLR, but the way the current new Caddys look, I doubt it.

Furthermore, the C6 stealing market share from its new competitors will be hard since those who already buy German automobiles are very hard to take away, and the recent shift in market share shows that the German automobiles are growing more and more popular. Remember, Bob likes BMW and Audi for a reason.

So, I expect the C6 volumes remain about the same as the current C5, due to some shift to the XLR, and a few new sales to small-sports car customers.

Those of us who cannot afford an XLR and need practicality (i.e. luggage space) will have to look elsewhere. However, if GM can manage to keep the usable luggage space about the same as it is now, even while making the car shorter, then that's a different story. But then the C5 is not all that big to begin with, so I doubt that that can be accomplished.

Is that a challenge Mr Lutz?
Old 11-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (DarkDragon)

I think everyone is getting a bit worried about Mr. Lutz's comment. Basically if the shorten the overhangs they
reduce the lenght of the car, in addition the wheelbase is supposed to increase by a few inches. I think what
Mr. Lutz is speaking about is better utilization of packaging. In additon, we all know and love the fact that the car
is built to a certain size, certainly cars such as the Ferrari 360 Modena and Porsche 911 have increased in size from
their predeccesors.

If they can increase interior room while decreasing mass and lenght wouldn't that be good. Remember the C5 Chassis
will not change much in dimensions as the C6 is an evolution of the C5 and it will not necessarily be much smaller
than the XLR. By the way all of you knocking the looks of the XLR, it was on the Discovery Channel recently about
GM and the car looks much better on TV than in the photos. So I think we should get worried too much about Mr. Lutz's
remarks. Remember he is the father of the Viper and Cunningham both which are big cars.
Old 11-08-2001, 02:59 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (Senna1994)

I am VERY happy with his comments. Because he is saying 2 very important things (1) GM will be even more focused on the performance side of the Vette; and (2) we will NOT see a significant styling change. The latter point is critical to me. I love the look of the C5, and particularly the curvaceous bulges. if they change that car to anything like the MT or other "slash" type designs, the C5 will be the last Corvette I buy.

In terms of design, what he is saying is work smarter in terms of executing your performance and design objectives. The C5 is a HUGE improvement in design science over the C4, but it still needs some work in the packaging area - and the overhangs are a good place to start. Stretch the wheelbase a couple of inches, thereby lowering you polar moment, and chop the overhangs by 5 inches on each end. You now have a smaller vehicle and a trimmer, more snubbed look. And more interior space to boot. Doesn't mean the car will become tinny, tiny, or unsafe. The solidity you guys feel comes from the stiffness of the frame anyway, not the weight of the car. A bonus is that all the scraping problems would go away.

The weight issues are clear. The hydroformed AL frame will probably save about 100lb over the current steel one. All Ti exhaust would shave another 30lb or so. And a ligher battery (moved to the rear of the vehicle) along with improvements in wheels/tires (next-gen run-flats) should account for another 50lb. So you now have a curb weight in the 2950lb range. Add the 405HP LS6, and watch the Vipers dissapear :D :D .
Old 11-08-2001, 03:57 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (TTRotary)

The Lutz interview said NOTHING about shorter or smaller for the C6. What I read was that the focus would be on weight reduction and agility improvement. To some the "weight recuction" part of this means smaller and/or shorter, but it doesn't have to be, as some of you have pointed out there are many ways to get lighter but not smaller. The agility part really can be improved even though the C5 is a very good handeling machine.

My conclusions from what I've read so far is that there will be technology improvements in different areas, weight reduction and distribution improvements, suspension improvements and very little change in the appearance or price of the new C6. Anyone not in favor of this possible outcome? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette

Old 11-08-2001, 06:46 PM
MitchellDavidson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (Jim 47)

So you now have a curb weight in the 2950lb range. Add the 405HP LS6, and watch the Vipers dissapear
... Maybe ... Current Vipers .... By the time the C6 comes out, the GenIII Viper will be in it's second year run. We need at least 450HP and a 500HP z06 :smash:
Old 11-08-2001, 07:17 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (Jim 47)

Since when was the Corvette all that big or heavy anyway?? While it may be a bit on the long side, it isn't necessarily wide or heavy. The Ferrari 360 and Dodge Viper are both over 2 full inches wider than a Vette, and the smaller Porsche 911 turbo is still only 1.6 inches narrower. In ZO6 trim, the Vette is over 300 pounds lighter than the Viper, roughly 280 pounds lighter than the 911 turbo, and outweighs the Ferrari 360 (known for its exceptionally low weight) by a scant 50 pounds!

So in other words, if the Vette is content to play around with little wind-up toys like the Z3, S2000, TT, and Boxster then yes it should be smaller... But given the performance league in which the Vette (and especially ZO6) now plays it's not too big at all.

Think about it - the ZO6 can embarass an NA Porsche 911 in about any performance measure out there, can even beat the turbo around the track, is extremely close to the 360 in every measure, and though not quite as fast in a straight line compares pretty favorably to the Viper. For possibly the first time the Vette is truly a contender at the highest level. If you don't agree just look at the cars the major magazines were putting the Vette in comparison tests with a decade ago; not quite the same.

Why mess with that kind of success?? If I wanted a little, "tossable" car I'd go buy a Miata.

On the other hand, if we shaved a few inches off the nose and tail, kept the width, used some of Ferrari's weight-saving tricks, and added some more horsepower (as I sincerely hope Lutz means)...

:eek:
Old 11-08-2001, 07:22 PM
MitchellDavidson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bob Lutz will take the vet to the next level (Kevin93)

the ZO6 can embarass an NA Porsche 911 in about any performance measure out there,
NA?? It :smash:'s the Turbo as well! :D

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz on the C6 Corvette