C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting 05-07 F55 switch in 08 console, one solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Bunker
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St, Jude Donor '07-'08-'12, '14-'15

Default Fitting 05-07 F55 switch in 08 console, one solution

Brief history - those of us with an 05-07 F55 equipped car were facing obstacles when trying to install the new style center console from 08 models. First, the selector switch changed style and along with the styling changed from a 4-pin electrical connection to a 12-pin connection. GM has not provided schematics of the 08 switch to dealers yet. In addition, the 08 F55 switch sits deeper under the console and interferes with the earlier years design.

I grew tired of waiting for the schematics from GM showing the new 12-pin connector for the 2008 F55 selector switch. I decided to see if I could modify the 05-07 F55 selector switch to fit the 08 console and the following is what I came up with. Judge it as you will, it's just one way of making things work.

First, look on the underside of the 08 console and you'll find a square plastic piece directly under the F55 switch hole held in place with three screws. If you were utilizing the new 08 F55 switch it would simply snap into place in this piece. The picture below shows the area with the square piece already removed and the three screw/mounting posts are easily visible surrounding the factory made hole.

This picture shows the top view of the 05-07 F55 selector switch you need to remove from your car.

This picture shows the underside of the same 05-07 F55 switch prior to modification.

This picture shows the 05-07 F55 switch after modification. It can be cut with the saw of your choice...I used a hacksaw. The location of the cut is approximate. I wanted to leave enough flat space on the top to help adhesion (you'll see later).

Now take a look at the top/first picture of the underside of the 08 console. You can see that there are two layers to the console in the area of the F55 switch. The top layer is the carbon fiber look material and underneath that is a black molded plastic type liner. Take your 05-07 F55 switch and hold it in place to get an idea how it will look in the 08 console. You'll notice two things. First, the hole in the 08 console is exactly the same size as the circular part of the 05-07 switch. You simply need to line it up underneath...this is the nice part. Second, unfortunately the two layers of the 08 console make the 05-07 switch sit very low under the console. Personally, I did not care for that "look". I decided to cut out the bottom plastic area of the console in order to make the switch sit a little higher in the hole and look a little more flush/finished. This part is up to each individual.

On the plus side, cutting the liner away does not prevent you from using the 08 F55 selector switch if a method for adapting the wiring, etc. appears in the future. Plus, the old switch just looks better if it sits a little higher in the hole (in my opinion). On the negative side, cutting away the liner is the hardest part of this procedure.

If you choose to cut the liner, as I did, then once again hold the switch in position where you want it to be. This should be done while looking at it from both sides of the console. Once you have it where you want it trace around it on the underside of the console with a black sharpie. This will help guide your cuts. I used a combination of a dremel tool with cutting wheel and a box cutter to trim away the liner. Take your time and be careful not to cut through the top layer of the console.

The next picture shows the underside of the console with the liner cut away and in the open space I've placed a double sided thin foam mounting tape cut into sections to fill the area. This is why I wanted to leave a little more of the flat portion of the switch plate earlier. The foam tape can be bought at any hardware store and most discount retailers and is made by different manufacturers in either squares or rolls. Choose whatever brand and style you want.

Fit your modified (cut) 05-07 F55 switch into the space you just lined with tape. Make sure it's lined up where you want it so that when viewed from above it looks centered in the hole.

Now you are ready to install your 08 console in your 05-07 Vette and the connector you already have in place will plug into your old switch. Note - when I installed my console I made this connection my last of all the electrical connections as it had the least amount of slack (the position has changed from the 05-07 console).

Here is how it looks in my 07;

While the 08 switch is very elegant looking it sits rather high and I like the less obtrusive look of the earlier switch. Again, this solution is just one option that works and the mods are to the switch plate and not to any wiring.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice post! I think I like this look better than the '08 switch...the new switch is simply too big.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
JAXKXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up and info.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Bunker,

Nice solution and great writeup and pics. I now have in my possession the pin out for the new 12 pin switch and how it integrates with the 4 pin. It is pretty straighforward.

Paul
Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Pete,

That's a pretty darn good job and write-up you did. Thanks for helping out the other forum members. It looks good!

Thanks, Gene.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Bunker
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St, Jude Donor '07-'08-'12, '14-'15

Paul (talon90),
Can you email or pm me regarding the pin out info you picked up? My email is gs884@charter.net

I'll probably leave my console the way it is but might change my mind in the future. At the moment I kind of like the earlier switch in the new console.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up and pics!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:08 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Bunker
Paul (talon90),
Can you email or pm me regarding the pin out info you picked up? My email is gs884@charter.net

I'll probably leave my console the way it is but might change my mind in the future. At the moment I kind of like the earlier switch in the new console.
Thanks,
Pete

Done.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
JAXKXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul.

Can you PM me more info on 12 pin switch. I would love to get the 08 console but that F55 switch

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks great - I've seen it in person. I too think the 08 switch is a bit on the large side. Great job Pete!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fitting 05-07 F55 switch in 08 console, one solution

Quick Reply: Fitting 05-07 F55 switch in 08 console, one solution