C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Does C6 Emergency Brake Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caw0917
Mine has done it a few times... quite annoying, but I've learned to pull the handle more.
You mean by "pull the handle more" meaning you have to pull it up higher I assume? Eventually its gonna not be able to go up anymore and the brake wont work properly. Its when that happens the cable and linkage need to be adjusted.

As I stated in my first post about this #8 , the mechanical parts need an adjustment over excessive use. Which is why I only use it on hills.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pTr73
You mean by "pull the handle more" meaning you have to pull it up higher I assume? Eventually its gonna not be able to go up anymore and the brake wont work properly. Its when that happens the cable and linkage need to be adjusted.

As I stated in my first post about this #8 , the mechanical parts need an adjustment over excessive use. Which is why I only use it on hills.
No.
The ratcheting mechanism in the handle assembly has a built-in adjuster that compensates for wear and cable stretch.
A non-issue.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
No.
The ratcheting mechanism in the handle assembly has a built-in adjuster that compensates for wear and cable stretch.
A non-issue.
So it will never need an adjustment?

But doesnt it eventually run out of compensation room? It can only self-adjust so much right?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

So it will never need an adjustment?

But doesnt it eventually run out of compensation room? It can only self-adjust so much right?
It would take a ton of wear. See for yourself. Remove the passenger seat, then the carpet covering the mechanism. Pull up and down on the lever. Figure out how it works.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by streetpix
>>> Only if you use the e-brake while cruising down the road.

Or if you do too many Bat Turns (while going forward put in the clutch, pull up on the e-brake, and give the wheel a little turn).

Thats funny, I can do the same thing , but instead of e-brake I just give gas haha.

But to those that never use e-brake excet parking, every once in a while,like every year or so it is good to use it for light braking once or twice, prevents the system from becoming 'stale'.(even though jsut using it to aprk should be enough,its just an added precaution)
Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

It would take a ton of wear. See for yourself. Remove the passenger seat, then the carpet covering the mechanism. Pull up and down on the lever. Figure out how it works.

I already know the mechanics that are involved, secondly in the post below you will see quite a few people state that it might need adjustment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562057280
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Depends on which way the car wants to roll. On flat ground it doesn't matter. On car facing downhill, use 1st- on uphil use reverse. You want the compression in the cylinders to resist the rolling. In theory, if you do the opposite, the valves will be open and no compression will occur. This may not be much of an issue in reality, however.
Why not put it in reverse when facing downhill so the transmission will lock you out from moving forward?

And vice versa when facing uphil? (Park in first, so the car CAN'T roll backward.)
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

I already know the mechanics that are involved, secondly in the post below you will see quite a few people state that it might need adjustment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562057280
Yes, the operation of the shoes might need adjusting. This is done at the wheels. But the "wear" of the ratcheting mechanism and any cable stretch will be self-adjusted at the e-brake handle mechanism.
If you really wamt to learn more, search the C-5 tech section. Many C-5s had essentially non-functioning e-brakes due to the ratcheting mechanism not functioning and/or the shoe adjustment at the wheel was way off.
If the e-brake is not holding I would adjust the shoe at the wheel end. This will be an interesting learning experience for those who do it.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Yes, the operation of the shoes might need adjusting. This is done at the wheels. But the "wear" of the ratcheting mechanism and any cable stretch will be self-adjusted at the e-brake handle mechanism.
If you really wamt to learn more, search the C-5 tech section. Many C-5s had essentially non-functioning e-brakes due to the ratcheting mechanism not functioning and/or the shoe adjustment at the wheel was way off.
If the e-brake is not holding I would adjust the shoe at the wheel end. This will be an interesting learning experience for those who do it.

If the shoe at the wheel needs adjustment, then that still means it needs adjustment. The self adjuster you describe might help but its only for so much, just face it, E brakes do after excessive use stop working properly.

I know of countless cars that have E brake problems, that the brakes are not holding the car in place. I only use them on hills (even with automatics) so the force dont rest fully on that small pencil width parking bar in an auto tranny.

I stop the car on a hill, pull the park brake up, then shift into park. Now the car doesnt rest on the tranny.

And another thing I do when parked on an incline is cut the wheels toward the curb for added security incase anything lets go!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Out of habbit I always set it. 30k+ and still holds strong. MUCH better than the C5's
Same here 34,000 miles. 05 6spd
I set the brake every time I park.
No problems at all.
BTW my 99 C5 brake wouldn't hold the car from day one. I adjusted it, worked ok from then on.
I've checked MANY other C5s, same thing, e-brake won't hold the car on a small hill.

Last edited by Arthur6; 09-26-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I set my 07 Coupe's E-brake whenever I park and generally leave the car in neutral. If I'm parking on a hill, then I will leave it in first.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My C6 parking brake doesn't hold worth a darn.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 PM
riccio
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C6 Parking Brake

I don't think my parking brake holds very well at all.

I am taking into the dealer next week to have it adjusted.

I usually set the brake, and leave parked in 1st.

I love the easy out feature - so I learned on the first day of ownership to set the parking brake.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

If the shoe at the wheel needs adjustment, then that still means it needs adjustment. The self adjuster you describe might help but its only for so much, just face it, E brakes do after excessive use stop working properly.

I know of countless cars that have E brake problems, that the brakes are not holding the car in place. I only use them on hills (even with automatics) so the force dont rest fully on that small pencil width parking bar in an auto tranny.

I stop the car on a hill, pull the park brake up, then shift into park. Now the car doesnt rest on the tranny.

And another thing I do when parked on an incline is cut the wheels toward the curb for added security incase anything lets go!
OK, I quit. You are correct.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM
woodsignman
3rd Gear

Default one side of the e-brake stuck on MY c6

Anyone ever have one side seem to not release? How to remedy?
Old 11-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonStern
Why not put it in reverse when facing downhill so the transmission will lock you out from moving forward?

And vice versa when facing uphil? (Park in first, so the car CAN'T roll backward.)
Did you ever try compression start a manual by pushing a car forward and popping the clutch out when in reverse? Not happening. This is why a car facing downhill will hold better in reverse gear and when facing uphill in 1st gear. For best holding resistance, put the shifter in the opposite gear that momentum will take you.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
LinxuSx
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Anybody else find that the e-brakedoesn't hold the car all that well. I've had the car roll on me 2 or 3 times on a VERY slight incline when I forgot to put it in reverse and left it in neutral. Having to jump in a rolling car and yank the e-brake as the car is moving is a scary thing

Maybe it's just my car, but I find I have to pull up HARD on the e-brake in order to have confidence in it. I'm a pretty strong guy too so I doubt it should take all my strength in order to set the e-brake effectively
I had to get my ebrake adjusted for the same reason. Much better now!

Get notified of new replies

To How Does C6 Emergency Brake Work

Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on which way the car wants to roll. On flat ground it doesn't matter. On car facing downhill, use 1st- on uphil use reverse. You want the compression in the cylinders to resist the rolling. In theory, if you do the opposite, the valves will be open and no compression will occur. This may not be much of an issue in reality, however.
this is not a correct statement.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Ummm.... this thread is almost 7 years old.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Anybody else find that the e-brakedoesn't hold the car all that well. I've had the car roll on me 2 or 3 times on a VERY slight incline when I forgot to put it in reverse and left it in neutral. Having to jump in a rolling car and yank the e-brake as the car is moving is a scary thing

Maybe it's just my car, but I find I have to pull up HARD on the e-brake in order to have confidence in it. I'm a pretty strong guy too so I doubt it should take all my strength in order to set the e-brake effectively
I have an A6 and mine does it a lot. I was wondering if there was an adjustment or do I need shoes?

Quick Reply: How Does C6 Emergency Brake Work