C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar-anyone get a straight answer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Onstar-anyone get a straight answer?

I'm close to buying an '08, either Z51 or Z06 but have the same problem with both. It's Onstar. I've called several local dealers and the Onstar help line. The nice lady from the Phillipines who spoke with me had a bit of trouble understanding though as her English was not that great.

ps. It makes me wonder what would happen in an emergency if the friendly Onstar rep on the other side of this PLANET ( ! ) no habloed my problem.

I asked simply if Onstar can be disabled by the dealer. Further I asked if the dealer cannot disable Onstar will I void my warranty if I disable it? No understand the question senor the nice lady said. On further consideration she said I had to have Onstar and that was that. Period. Take it of leave it. ( that is the GM car )

Thanks.

The local dealers all referred me to Onstar and pointed out that Onstar would not "bother" me unless it was an emergency or I called them. My definition of "disable" was that if I hit a brick wall at 100mph Onstar would not be aware of it. Now , I know from prior threads on this subject that some of you consider worry about Onstar to be needlessly paranoid. However, all I can say is that I don't want them having complete real time knowledge of where I drive the car and how fast I drive the car.

As has been discussed it would be VERY easy for them to locate a car at the GPS coordinates of a race track and then corrrelate the engine rpm and vehicle speed to prove 1/4 mile runs were taking place. Poof! Warranty voided for abuse of the car.

But this question is not about the pros or cons of Onstar, rather about getting a straight answer from GM/Onstar about getting them to disconnect the system and second will they void my warranty if I physically disconnect the system from the car?

On what grounds you ask would they void the warranty for disconnecting Onstar? Well, they could say that without Onstar they will be unable to continuously monitor whether I am abusing the car or not.

Forum dealers: Can you provide a straight answer to these questions?

The ability to permanently and totally disconnect Onstar is a deal breaker for me as I consider the purchase of an 08 C6 ( or any GM vehicle )

Last edited by OregonC6; 10-08-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Lowlead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't you just pull the Onstar fuse? I've got an 05 with no Onstar but I still have a slot in the fuse block that says Onstar.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple solution. Have her send some pics. They make some really good looking chicks over there.

If she qualifies, no more complaints from you, man.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Lowlead
Couldn't you just pull the Onstar fuse? I've got an 05 with no Onstar but I still have a slot in the fuse block that says Onstar.
That would be my suggestion. The owner's manual for my 06 coupe shows an Instrument Panel fuse labeled "OnStar," with nothing else indicated, leading me to think that's all that's on that fuse.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
steppindown
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ask a car thief. As soon as they jump into an OnStar equipped vehicle, they disable it so they can't be tracked!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

You can pull the fuse and disable OnStar in 5 seconds. There is no trick to it - simply remove the power from the system, and it's disabled.

As for the real intent of your post - can you simply have a dealership permanently disable OnStar, the answer is, "No." No dealership will disable OnStar for you. And, even if you pull the fuse, the computers will record the lack of power to your system, thereby causing an issue the next time you bring the car in. In fact, OnStar itself (the central computer, not your car) will report a fault in your system because it doesn't get information from it. That will, most likely, at least generate a call from a service department alerting you to that fact.

I share your concern about the 1984-esque nature of OnStar, but you can't "legally" disable it and still expect GM to just go on its merry way, warranty-wise. I don't know what parts of the warranty will be voided, but it will become an issue, guaranteed.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

Don't pay for it, you won't have it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
relaxitsonlylife
Racer

No, disabling OnStar will not void your warranty. If, however, you screw something up in the process of disabling OnStar, they are not required to cover that repair under warranty.

Just replace your radio and don't do the OnStar adapter. All of OnStar is run through the radio, if you take it out it won't work. Of course, all the error codes and everything else are run through the radio as well.

Or you could just have the dealership not activate OnStar.

By the way, do you sit at home and make tinfoil hats so the ray beams can't mess with your mind?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
2bubbas
Drifting

Do you think they really have the man power to do that?

If you do- then pull the fuse.

Big Brother watches you.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I'm close to buying an '08, either Z51 or Z06 but have the same problem with both. )
Pretty hilarious after all the Z51 postings you've made and how upset it makes you when people refer to their "Z51" etc etc, that you are doing the same thing. Good luck with the new car wether it's Z51, or Z06!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You worry too much.

Just buy the fricken car and enjoy it.

Quick, logoff the internet - your being tracked!

As you discovered, they barely speak english, you think they give two shts about what you're doing with your car? Ask doc for a couple little Valiums, comeback to reality, go buy car.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

With all due respect I feel your OnStar paranoia borders on the absurd. OnStar is in business to sell their systems and promote the benefits of OnStar use...can you imagine the consumer backlash if it were ever proven and disclosed that OnStar was clandestinely monitoring subscriber's activities and reporting the same to insurance carriers and law enforcement (without a Court Order) behind the customer's back. "Big Brother' conspiracy theorists unite.

I imagine you could disable OnStar by simply removing the antennae (or by some other innocuous means). Why would you think that disabling OnStar would affect any other aspect of your warranty?

I'm not a huge proponent of OnStar but there are some OnStar features I find beneficial...the built-in, more powerful, hands-free phone, remote unlock, emergency notification and GPS positioning to name a few. Emergency notification just might save your life. A friend of mine had his Suburban stolen several years ago and OnStar coordinated with law enforcement to position the vehicle. He got his Suburban back undamaged and the thieves were caught (and subsequently prosecuted). Don't renew the subscription after the first year if you don't value the benefits. IMO for the pennies a day it cost it's worthwhile.

I feel your OnStar paranoia is unwarranted and downright foolish. If you're that afraid of OnStar....go buy a Ford or something.

What are you going to do about the Event Data Recorder in the car...the so-called 'Black Box?'

BTW....do you carry a cell phone? Do you realize 'Big Brother' can monitor your conversations and likely use the cell phone to position you as well. You do realize there are satellites that constantly monitor terrain throughout the world with enough resolution to read a newspaper headline. Don't go outside...you're being watched.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It is a potential problem... and I for one don't like the idea of big brother watching over my shoulder when I'm driving.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When using my Hypertech programmer for my Duramax diesel, the instructions call for removing the Onstar fuse until programming is completed so that a "communication" from Onstar would not interfere with the programming. Your owners manual should identify which fuse to remove.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Bubbatex
Racer

I'm close to buying an '08, either Z51 or Z06 but have the same problem with both. It's Onstar. I've called several local dealers and the Onstar help line. The nice lady from the Phillipines who spoke with me had a bit of trouble understanding though as her English was not that great.

ps. It makes me wonder what would happen in an emergency if the friendly Onstar rep on the other side of this PLANET ( ! ) no habloed my problem.

I asked simply if Onstar can be disabled by the dealer. Further I asked if the dealer cannot disable Onstar will I void my warranty if I disable it? No understand the question senor the nice lady said. On further consideration she said I had to have Onstar and that was that. Period. Take it of leave it. ( that is the GM car )

Thanks.

The local dealers all referred me to Onstar and pointed out that Onstar would not "bother" me unless it was an emergency or I called them. My definition of "disable" was that if I hit a brick wall at 100mph Onstar would not be aware of it. Now , I know from prior threads on this subject that some of you consider worry about Onstar to be needlessly paranoid. However, all I can say is that I don't want them having complete real time knowledge of where I drive the car and how fast I drive the car.

As has been discussed it would be VERY easy for them to locate a car at the GPS coordinates of a race track and then corrrelate the engine rpm and vehicle speed to prove 1/4 mile runs were taking place. Poof! Warranty voided for abuse of the car.

But this question is not about the pros or cons of Onstar, rather about getting a straight answer from GM/Onstar about getting them to disconnect the system and second will they void my warranty if I physically disconnect the system from the car?

On what grounds you ask would they void the warranty for disconnecting Onstar? Well, they could say that without Onstar they will be unable to continuously monitor whether I am abusing the car or not.

Forum dealers: Can you provide a straight answer to these questions?

The ability to permanently and totally disconnect Onstar is a deal breaker for me as I consider the purchase of an 08 C6 ( or any GM vehicle )
While I find your question quite funny. I will gladly point out that yes in fact you can disable onstar and no it will not effect your warranty. Many people do not renew after the first year. This does not effect their warranty.

That being said I would a LOT more concerned about the black box in the vehcile then I would Onstar. When you Slam into that wall at 100MPH the little black box will tell them EVERYTHING you do not want them to know. How fast your were driving, your RPM's the attitude of the vehicle and the list goes on and on. It records pretty much everything. SO when you blow your engine while racing your vehicle it will in fact void the warranty. How? The little black box tells all.

Now that I have probably made your decision not to buy a vette a simple one. I will also remind you that nearly all manufactures are installing these little black boxes.

Last edited by Bubbatex; 10-08-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait till they start putting microchips in people, you'll really have a tizzy. My dog is still pissed about the chip the breeder implanted in her. Everytime the vet scans her, I remind her big brother knows who owns you.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by relaxitsonlylife
No, disabling OnStar will not void your warranty. If, however, you screw something up in the process of disabling OnStar, they are not required to cover that repair under warranty.

Just replace your radio and don't do the OnStar adapter. All of OnStar is run through the radio, if you take it out it won't work. Of course, all the error codes and everything else are run through the radio as well.

Or you could just have the dealership not activate OnStar.

By the way, do you sit at home and make tinfoil hats so the ray beams can't mess with your mind?
If you followed any of his posts you'd all ready know the answer to that question.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar-anyone get a straight answer?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Bubbatex
Racer

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
It is a potential problem... and I for one don't like the idea of big brother watching over my shoulder when I'm driving.

DO YOU HONESTLY believe anyone cares?? This line of thinking cracks me up. Onstar is watching NOBODY. they do not care. PERIOD.

Again the little black box does however
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

...The nice lady from the Phillipines who spoke with me had a bit of trouble understanding though as her English was not that great... no habloed my problem... No understand the question senor the nice lady said. On further consideration she said I had to have Onstar and that was that. Period. Take it of leave it. ( that is the GM car )
I don't believe you.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM
relaxitsonlylife
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
If you followed any of his posts you'd all ready know the answer to that question.
Sorry, I get sidetracked laughing at the Marxist rhetoric.

Quick Reply: Onstar-anyone get a straight answer?