C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, I Like the F55. Here is Why.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Forvettes
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Default Finally, I Like the F55. Here is Why.

I owned an '05 Z51 coupe. When I decided to get an '06 vert I opted for the F55 option. Why? Negative feedback on the Forum about tire wear with the Z51. Why did I listen? I don't know. I had 5,000 miles on the '05 with no noticeable tire wear. But the decision was made.

I picked up the car at the museum on October 26, 2005. What a dream! Then I read on the Forum how some really liked the F55 option and could immediately tell the difference when switching between Tour and Sport. There were others that could tell no difference. I was in the latter group - didn't do anything. I tried it periodically but nothing. So I put it on Tour and forgot it.

Fast forward 2 years and 18,000 miles. I developed the 'Service Active Handling' messages. Took it to the dealer and told them to check out the bulletin on the wiring in the steering column. They claimed they checked it and it was okay. They did find a bad module under the driver's seat and replaced it. When I picked it up I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was. I had a new car again, maybe even better.

Two weeks later, Active Handling problem again. This time they did check the steering column wiring and found a problem. They fixed it and I was ready to roll. BUT, the ride was not as smooth again. "What is going on?" I asked myself. I didn't have time to take it back to the dealer so I drove it. And now the rear axle chatter is back. I've had the fluid changed but still no time to take it back.

Yesterday. I was driving on I-270, complaining to myself about the 'rough' ride. Where did my smooth ride go? I happened to glance down at the F55 selector. It was on Sport. Hmmmm. I switched to Tour and voilą, smooth ride again. I played with it for several miles and I could tell the difference. Amazing!

I've been driving for 18,000 with a bad module which locked the F55 in the Sport mode. But now it is fixed and I love the F55. For the first time I have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Wow, first I've heard that one. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your new old car!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it is finally working for you.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice a difference from sport to tour, but it is rather subtle. Just a little less body roll in sport, and the bumps are a little more pronounced in sport, but overall the diff. is still subtle. The diff is more noticeable when you really start to corner hard etc. I love the F55! My rear tires hold the ground over bumps while cornering! They don't skip over bumps like the stiffer suspensions do. I've been leaving mine in sport most of the time with no complaints.

Last edited by adconti; 11-16-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:15 PM
VetteManRay
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Forest Hill, (Out in the country), north of Baltimore. Maryland. Land of "Pleasant Living" with my Corvette, steamed crabs & crab cakes.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Thanks for sharing
Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can really tell the difference if you find a safe stretch of road and start jiggling the steering wheel back and forth to get the front end rocking back and forth. Start switching back and forth between Sport and Tour and there is a very distinct difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally, I Like the F55. Here is Why.

Quick Reply: Finally, I Like the F55. Here is Why.