C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about diablosport predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Sik Six
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Default question about diablosport predator

I am considering buying the diablosport predator tuner. I only have bolt on mods....headers, exhaust, K&N, and have 160 thermostat on way. Will I notice much of a difference with the predator tuner?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tincup 3269
I am considering buying the diablosport predator tuner. I only have bolt on mods....headers, exhaust, K&N, and have 160 thermostat on way. Will I notice much of a difference with the predator tuner?
I am happy with the results on my 06, you will get your moneys worth.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running a check on the Diablo Predator Programmer and the website listed a series of numbers and alphabets in the 8th position of the VIN, my letter was not one of those listed.

I was then checking Hypertech and it had my letter in the 8th position of the VIN.

So I guess I am out of luck with the Diablo Predator and will have to go with Hypertech.

Not to hi-jack but anyone have any feedback on the Hypertech Progammer?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
saber
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I works and even the MPG goes up a little!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll notice a little bit after you swap the stat and reprogram the fans. Just don't expect anything earth shattering. Nothing can replace a custom tune. Predators are nice to have while waiting for enough mods to justify spending more.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REVAK

well worth the $$.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Been There

I had a Hypertech on my '03 Avalanche and I didn't notice much benefit. It's pretty much a set tune that you can't adjust very much. I read that a lot of people preferred the more expensive Diablosport Predator, so I sold my Hypertech and bought the Predator.

The Predator has more things you can tweak, but the little booklet that comes with it doesn't explain what they do very well. Tech support won't give you any advice, saying that if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't be doing it! Thanks for the help. There isn't any other manual, so you just tweak in the dark and then see what happened. I did a lot of fiddling and it seemed to have more pep than when I started, but that might just be because you have to switch to premium to get best performance. There is an 87 octane tune you can use, but it really doesn't give you much performance boost. In the Avalanche it removes the speed governor, so you can get it over 96 MPH, and it removes the torque limiter so you can theoretically break the tires free when accelerating. You can change the shift points too, so you can stay in a gear longer. It might do a couple of other things that I don't remember.

Oh yeah, it reads OBDII codes and has a list of what they mean.

I went back to stock when high test hit $2 a gallon and said I'd retune when the price came down. I'm still waiting.

I did have an issue once. It hung up in the middle of a tune and the message on the screen said it failed and to contact Diablosport. I called them and they said to return the unit for repair. Luckily my truck wasn't disabled so I could do that. Their customer service was worse than awful. They kept my unit over a month and didn't even look at it until that much time had passed. They didn't know whether or not my truck was out of commission and couldn't care less. I called several times to find out what was going on and they just kept putting me off. Eventually they sent it back to me without any explanation or apology for taking so long.

I still have it and maybe I'll use it again when gas gets more affordable. An Avalanche has plenty of torque and low end grunt, so there isn't much need to make it faster.

If you think these things will transform your car into something a whole lot faster, you'll be disappointed. A little faster maybe, but that might be due to you stepping on the gas a little harder looking for that feeling.

Although I might use it again because I have it already, I wouldn't buy one again.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I have an 05.I like mine.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cool Rod
There is an 87 octane tune you can use, but it really doesn't give you much performance boost.

I went back to stock when high test hit $2 a gallon and said I'd retune when the price came down. I'm still waiting.
So why not use the 87 octane tune while you can? If nothing else it may boost MPG.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It could happen to any programmer but that kind of wait is unthinkable. It should take them a couple minutes to make sure it wasn't tampered with and then send you out a refurb immediately. But hey, I'm just a customer, what do I know?

PS. Hi Jesse.

Get notified of new replies

To question about diablosport predator

Quick Reply: question about diablosport predator