C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using Costco gas in both of my cars for the past 5+ years without an issue.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM
toolking
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used Costco gas in my 05 since new. 22K and no problems that could be considered gas related.

I do run a bottle of techron additive about once a year.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing but Costco and never any problems.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
mwct
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference in price is quite small so I really don't think theres a big deal in using "top tier" gas. Then again, if I had to I'd use costco gas, its not like its going to kill the engine.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a person who believe that all gasoline comes from the same pipeline, ship, or refinery.....it's a generic product and the only difference is how clean the tanks of the retailer are kept or how much water they add now and then.

Costco is a top notch company. I never get bad products there so gas would be fine. My local Costco does not offer gas. if it did I'd buy it.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I am a person who believe that all gasoline comes from the same pipeline, ship, or refinery.....it's a generic product and the only difference is how clean the tanks of the retailer are kept or how much water they add now and then.

Costco is a top notch company. I never get bad products there so gas would be fine. My local Costco does not offer gas. if it did I'd buy it.
Although I don't know of any retailers that add WATER, I do agree with everything else.

I wholesale gasoline and #2 clear diesel (undyed, for road use) for a living. Of the five or six terminals I distribute trucks to, there may be a truck from, say, Valero, Shell, Cenex, BP, etc. under the "rack" getting gas at any point in time. It all comes from the same pipeline, and fills up the same huge white above ground gas tanks. Top Tier is a marketing scheme in the same ranks as Bose Each individual gas station differs so much from the next depending on what the owner sees as important with regards to keeping the storage tanks clean, keeping the fuel filters replaced, using Hdyro-sorb (prevents water from getting through) filters for a few dollars more than the regular filters, keeping up to date with the state inspections, etc. You'd be surprised how many gas stations dump regular no lead gasoline in the premium tank if there is more product in the truck than will fit in the regular no lead tank. This kind of stuff is regulated by the state, but lots of states are very "lax" on octane testing. Testing for water, on the other hand, is much easier.

My personal opinion.... find some E10 and use it. NOT E85, but E10. It will perform much better than regular premium gasoline in most cases.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

no.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
mitchm11741
Racer

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Not as long as I can get gas at a place that the lines are not a half mile long
I'm with you. Since gasoline is virtually identical, I go where ever I can pull right up to the pump. Maybe Costco, maybe others ... that doesn't matter to me. The shortest wait wins.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

No ....wouldn't even consider it !!!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 AM
psimms
Racer

Don't think Sunoco is top tier.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:51 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
Although I don't know of any retailers that add WATER, I do agree with everything else.

I wholesale gasoline and #2 clear diesel (undyed, for road use) for a living. Of the five or six terminals I distribute trucks to, there may be a truck from, say, Valero, Shell, Cenex, BP, etc. under the "rack" getting gas at any point in time. It all comes from the same pipeline, and fills up the same huge white above ground gas tanks. Top Tier is a marketing scheme in the same ranks as Bose Each individual gas station differs so much from the next depending on what the owner sees as important with regards to keeping the storage tanks clean, keeping the fuel filters replaced, using Hdyro-sorb (prevents water from getting through) filters for a few dollars more than the regular filters, keeping up to date with the state inspections, etc. You'd be surprised how many gas stations dump regular no lead gasoline in the premium tank if there is more product in the truck than will fit in the regular no lead tank. This kind of stuff is regulated by the state, but lots of states are very "lax" on octane testing. Testing for water, on the other hand, is much easier.

My personal opinion.... find some E10 and use it. NOT E85, but E10. It will perform much better than regular premium gasoline in most cases.
i agree....its not always premium coming out of the pump, i have caught chevron owners doing this, had good luck with the local shell and chevron by the track...thank god! filters make huge difference too!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

i do.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

There are some funny replies to this thread
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
You are the exact type of person "TopTier Gasoline" is marketing to! You now created an imaginary reason to justify spending a "few extra pennies per gallon". Gasoline is a commodity product, so getting even a small percentage of people to spend a "few extra pennies" per gallon results in MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to the gasoline companies who participate. Millions of gallons of gasoline are sold EVERY day and those pennies add up. Do you think they get on this list for free?

Bad gasoline has nothing to do with detergents or the brand, it has to do with the gas station you are getting it from. Even small amounts of water in the gas will result in severe performance reduction, bad idle, and a host of other problems. Buying from brand name gas stations USUALLY means that the station is well maintained because most brand name stations are OWNED by the production company. They lease out the station to an owner/operator as part of their franchise agreement.

A very good friend of mine was the manager of one of the name-brand gas stations, and used to get pissed because the truck that delivered gas to his station would fill up his tanks and then go the independent station down the street to fill their tanks. Some times they used to sell their gas to the CUSTOMER for less than what he was paying for it, because the spot market price for gas was much lower than the price he was paying his name-brand distributor. How could he sell any gas if it was 10% higher than his competitor? Because of marketing!!! The gas companies spend a lot of money convincing people that their comodity is somehow "different" than everyone elses and worth just a "few extra pennies" more.

I have a cousin that makes the stuff at one of the refinerys in Port Arthur, Texas. He has told me this exact same thing.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

With regards to the additives, it's the same deal. No one honestly believes Shell has a mad scientist in the corporate headquarters basement mixing magic elixir syrum in bottles trying to find the best mixture of detergents and octane boosters do they? Guess where the additives all come from? I don't know of anyone who has a patent on their gasoline recipe
Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

It's like changing your oil every 3000 miles....as the saying goes..I use 91 or better.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been using Sam's 93 octane for my vette from the first fillup. I'm going to hunt down a Chevron and try a tankfull and see if I can tell any difference. I probably won't but I'll at least give it a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
V-Dub
Racer

I don't think I'd have issue with using Costco gas if I were a member. I elect to purchase gas from Quiktrip since they offer that little guarantee on their gas. Plus I have the gas receipts from just about every purchase on these last few cars I've bought.

V-Dub
Old 12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Blue Stream hit it right on the head. THere is a GM bulletin out on it as well. For any of you disbelivers, check with you Service Department.

I learned the hard way with my Cadillac.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
everjeff
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy
you sir, are the winner
100%

Quick Reply: Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?