C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think Twice About Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iridelow
I will be at my GM dealer tomarrow!!!! I bought an extended warantee on my 05 that goes into effect 12/12/07. That's when the factory warrantee expires. And yes I am in SC and the warrantee company is Ultra Master tech. I have not used one penny of the warrantee I paid for because it has not started yet. So GM better give me back my $1490.00 I paid for something I have never used and now can't use!!!!!!!!!: I bought the warantee from the dealer where I bought my vette, They better give me back my freaken money.
mad:
I think this was the warranty my selling dealer pushed on me when I bought my new C6. Was called MasterTech Ultra Wrap www.mastertechvpp.com. But I got my money back in another month and bought a GMPP instead.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I just trade on a new one before my warranty is up.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
c6toy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
I will be at my GM dealer tomarrow!!!! I bought an extended warantee on my 05 that goes into effect 12/12/07. That's when the factory warrantee expires. And yes I am in SC and the warrantee company is Ultra Master tech. I have not used one penny of the warrantee I paid for because it has not started yet. So GM better give me back my $1490.00 I paid for something I have never used and now can't use!!!!!!!!!: I bought the warantee from the dealer where I bought my vette, They better give me back my freaken money.
mad:

Unfortunately if you read the fine print (you really have to dig for it) you will be charged a service cancellation fee I think mine was 225 or 250 and then a depreciated value based on the usage you did/didnt use

For example I bought mine and went overseas for 4 months drove the car maybe 200 miles in 6 months and they socked me for about 320 bucks lees than what I paid for the warranty when I traded it in never paid out a penny for any repairs as the car was still under the factory warranty the entire time I had it it is complete Let me know how you come out in this good luck
Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyeddie
You obviously did not buy my C6. If you could ever make a case for an extended warranty, mine is it. As far as buying a third party warranty, well suckers are everywhere-- eddie
I've got a C6 A6 that has been a bundle of trouble since I have had it, even had dealer problem with leaking diff seals that were leaking all over the case and leaf spring. The GM dealer said that it was not leaking, what jerks, had a BIG BIG TALK with them and they finally relented. I reported them to dealer followup survey and GM survey. I'm not doing business with them in Grapevine.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Ouch...what part costs $4500?
I think he is talking about parts and labor.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Moss-Magnuson Act of 1975 does not apply to extended warranties, only the manufactures .new car' warranty.

Not all of the Ultimate Warranty policy holders have been left out in the cold. You also have to look at the vehicles and dealers selling them to get an understanding of what happened.

GMPP is not the 'be all' of extended warranties, they have adapted and use the same policies and techniques of many extended warranty companies.

The advantage GMPP has over so called '3rd party' warranties is that the vehilces being covered are generally within the manufactures warranty when written. This protects the company from dealers like those that sold the Ultimate policy and gives the company time to make a gain on the policy before the first payout, hence the lower premium when purchased closer to the vehicle In Service Date rather than when the manufactures warranty is nearing expiration.

As for the 51% ownership of GMPP..... what was the name of the investment group that recently purchased Chrysler
Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

The extended warranty company I paid for for my Tacoma ended up changing hands somewhere through the middle, and I had to trackdown the new phone numbers. Fortunately they still covered, but when all was said & done it was a wash (repairs made were equal to what the warranty costed me).

The offer I got from GMPP on my '06 Vette in the mail only extended mileage, but not the 3 years. I thought that was a joke, as I will not hit even 36,000 miles in three years at the rate I am going. Totally worthless to me.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You roll the dice... sometimes it comes up 7 or 11 other times snake eyes....
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdfrit
my gmpp offer states that i will only get the offered price until 12,000 miles has accrued on my new car. which seems to contradict the statement that you don't spend any more by waiting until just before your factory wty expires?? does the price really go up after i pass 12k miles on my new corvette? also the offer claims the special intro. price for new car owner has been extended, again, until 12/25 - MERRRY XMAS!!!
does anybody know if there really is a gmpp price hike after x amount of miles/months? or should i call 1-800-961-4677
Call Fitchner, preferred vendor here on the forum.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GMPP has been around for years and years. That is not to say that something bad cannot happen to them, although we all hope not.

On the other hand, about a dozen ext warr companies go belly up annually. You can verify that on the internet.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 AM
jdfrit
Cruising

Default more plan options available online?

Originally Posted by djfullshred
The extended warranty company I paid for for my Tacoma ended up changing hands somewhere through the middle, and I had to trackdown the new phone numbers. Fortunately they still covered, but when all was said & done it was a wash (repairs made were equal to what the warranty costed me).

The offer I got from GMPP on my '06 Vette in the mail only extended mileage, but not the 3 years. I thought that was a joke, as I will not hit even 36,000 miles in three years at the rate I am going. Totally worthless to me.
after i cancelled the dealer's in-house extended plan, i received about a month later a gmpp offer brochure in the mail. it hilited what they called the "perfect match" to my 5 yr/100k powertrain wty, but i noted that somewhere in the lit. was referenced a web site and a 800 ph. no. to examine more options. so after going to their web site, i selected a 6yr/60k/0deduct. for LESS than the 3yr/100k extended plan in the brochure [miles are more expensive than years]!! Plus, they have an 18 months NO INTEREST payment plan autopaid with your fav. mileage or cashback credit card. btw, a satisfaction-based 100% moneyback refund guarantee is claimed. so, the total will be less than NISSAN charged me, percentage-wise, on my $17k pickup [but that was 10 yrs. ago, i haven't bought any extended plans since, until now]. considering that this is about $50k worth of Corvette, the % cost of this 6yr gmpp premiums compels me to expect that i will recoup the cost in added resale value to a prospective buyer who i can trx the plan to. for me then, the plan they matched me up with in the mailing offer was not my best choice. if u use the gmpp website be sure to go all the way thru to the purchase, stopping short of actually giving credit card or payment info, and you will see the total premiums for each plan option before you enter your fav. airline credit card no. and you can also compare options and premiums, to help find a better plan that matches YOUR expected years/miles of ownership before you sell the car. figure i will know in 5 years or less whether i'll want to keep it for life [i am 63 now, and may buy my last airplane before my last sports car, altho accidents, etc. can always happen]. if then i decide i don't want it, i figure i should get an extra grand for the bumper-bumper extended plan that transfers with the used corvette to my buyer.
anyway, since it was less than 30 days ago that i signed up for the gmpp-- Please, if anybody wants to play devil's advocate and convince me that this is not $1600 [i.e. 3.3% of the cost of my new 2007 c6/Z51/A6 manumatic] well spent, i would ask you to post it here!
and i will raise a glass of the finest Bowling Green, Kentucky Bourbon to you at the next NVCC post-meeting gathering at Clyde's Grille in Vienna, VA while pondering the interest to be earned on my $1600 refund in a 5-year CD or money market account. thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 AM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought one for my C5 from 'One Warranty'. They went belly-up. BUT not before paying on three claims for me totalling over 5000 bucks. Cost me 890 when I bought it and had no deductable. Best move I ever made!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Default Again YOU are wrong!!

Originally Posted by octane_n_veins
General Motors Protection Plan. GMPP is not and extend warrenty. The reason GM says that they "endorsed" the GMPP is because GMPP is a divison of GMAC. All it does is structure a type of extention to the existing warrenty.
Wow - talk about speaking before you know what the hell you're talking about. MIC and GMAC LICENSE the General Motors name to sell their product. Just like a model car has a GM logo on it to signify that GM licensed their name to help sell the product. If the model car you bought broke, would you demand GM replace it? Well, you probably would. Those with a brain, however, would realize the GM isn't the party responsible for the model car.

Same thing here - GM IS NOT guaranteeing your warranty - MIC (apparently related to UWC) is through a GMAC subsidiary. GM doesn't own GMAC, either. So, this isn't a General Motors "warranty," regardless of what you call it.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glenB
Moss-Magnuson Act of 1975 does not apply to extended warranties, only the manufactures .new car' warranty.

Not all of the Ultimate Warranty policy holders have been left out in the cold. You also have to look at the vehicles and dealers selling them to get an understanding of what happened.

GMPP is not the 'be all' of extended warranties, they have adapted and use the same policies and techniques of many extended warranty companies.

The advantage GMPP has over so called '3rd party' warranties is that the vehilces being covered are generally within the manufactures warranty when written. This protects the company from dealers like those that sold the Ultimate policy and gives the company time to make a gain on the policy before the first payout, hence the lower premium when purchased closer to the vehicle In Service Date rather than when the manufactures warranty is nearing expiration.

As for the 51% ownership of GMPP..... what was the name of the investment group that recently purchased Chrysler
Americans have gotten quite lazy at a lot of things, understanding what the hell they're signing is one of them. GMPP, UWC, whatever the hell you want to call it, is NOT a warranty. The original mfg. offers a "warranty" on its product to replace/repair it during a specified period of time. These other products are "maintenance plans," not warranties. GM is NOT warranting anything, some insurance company is taking you money on a bet that they will not have to pay out more than what you paid. Simple as that. Sometimes you win, but like Vegas, the odds are with the insurance company the sold the thing to you in the first place.

The M-M Act doesn't cover any of these extended "maintenance plans."

As for UWC, I'd be interested to hear how some of their customers haven't been left out in the cold? I'm sure the AG of South Carolina would be interested in hearing about that as well.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
In the local paper today (Minneapolis Star Tribune, page D1) appears a story that should give anyone thinking of buying an after-market extended warranty a reason to think twice....
Thoughts?
My thought is and always has been this: There is NO extended warranty that is worth the money. It's just like insurance; you're money ahead if you DON'T have it in the long run...even IF something bad happens. The companies that offer ext warranties make money on them, because MOST of the time people won't need to use them. Same goes for you. If you buy ext warranties on every car you buy for your whole life, you'll have spent WAY more money than if you footed the bill for one car's issues...an it's doubtful that a car will have a "surprise" serious issue after it's factory warranty these days. IOW, if you get a "lemon", you'll know it before the factory warranty is up.

In this case the sitation is worsened by the fact that it's a scam.

Rule of thumb, never buy into those optional services. They are money-making initiatives that will only remove money from YOUR pocket.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Ouch...what part costs $4500?
The traction/skid controller and module on my old C5. I got a rental car and paid $ 49.95. Paid $1100 for the warranty 3 years before.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I researched the article and my warranty and found that this is NOT the one I have. I contacted the Dealer I bought the car from and confirmed the info. Thanks for the response, but it seems I'm OK. I think I will still cancel the warranty to get my money back. It seems that if you fart in the car, it voids them from fixing anything. Too much small print for me. I only drive my car about once or twice a week and I take very good care of it, so I doubt I would ever use the warrantee and think it is a waist of money....

Get notified of new replies

To Think Twice About Extended Warranties

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanx for the update
Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Kayvan
Disabled by request 2 Jan 2009

A state guaranty fund will pay claims. If its a registed insurer, thats the law. Otherwise if its its unregistered or undomiciled via a risk bearing entity, its a ponzi scheme.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Extended warranties are all about risk management, and I never bought or needed one in 30 years, until my '05 C6. Without an extended warranty that car would have been gone at 3 years!

Quick Reply: Think Twice About Extended Warranties