C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think Twice About Extended Warranties

Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think Twice About Extended Warranties

In the local paper today (Minneapolis Star Tribune, page D1) appears a story that should give anyone thinking of buying an after-market extended warranty a reason to think twice.

The story involves what happened to thousands of people who bought extended warranties through a company called "Ultimate Warranty Corp." They sold extended warranties through various car dealerships across the U.S. Well, UWC has gone out of business, leaving approximately $15,000 in assets in their warranty fund to cover an expected $48 MILLION in claims. UWC's insurance carrier has been put into receivership (like a bankruptcy) in South Carolina because of these losses, so that means that more than 137,000 people WHO PAID FOR AN EXTENDED WARRANTY now have nothing. And, of course, the car dealerships (who got 10-50% of the warranty purchase price in commission) are claiming that it isn't their responsibility to help their customers with worthless warranties.

This is exactly why extended warranties will never be purchased by me.

Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
kornfreak_401
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bad bull
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
In the local paper today (Minneapolis Star Tribune, page D1) appears a story that should give anyone thinking of buying an after-market extended warranty a reason to think twice.

The story involves what happened to thousands of people who bought extended warranties through a company called "Ultimate Warranty Corp." They sold extended warranties through various car dealerships across the U.S. Well, UWC has gone out of business, leaving approximately $15,000 in assets in their warranty fund to cover an expected $48 MILLION in claims. UWC's insurance carrier has been put into receivership (like a bankruptcy) in South Carolina because of these losses, so that means that more than 137,000 people WHO PAID FOR AN EXTENDED WARRANTY now have nothing. And, of course, the car dealerships (who got 10-50% of the warranty purchase price in commission) are claiming that it isn't their responsibility to help their customers with worthless warranties.

This is exactly why extended warranties will never be purchased by me.

Thoughts?
As I always tell my friends, buy FACTORY extended warranty or NO extended warranty.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZL-1
As I always tell my friends, buy FACTORY extended warranty or NO extended warranty.
The GMPP is administered by a private third party, not GM. You aren't actually buying a "factory" warranty, but a guarantee that someone else will cover the bills.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Dogue
Racer

I'm not big on extended warranties but I plan on purchasing a GMPP extended warranty before mine is up. I would never purchase one from a third party, like the one mentioned in the story, but GM's plan isn't too bad and can't hurt when it comes to sell or trade.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I purchased a GMPP.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No news here. Many of the "fly by night" warranty companies have many out of millions of dollars. GMPP for the Z06; Acura Warranty for the MDX have saved me hundreds.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Again, GMPP is NOT administered by GM - a third party takes care of it, and the third party takes care of the bills, not GM. If this can happen to UWC, it can happen to GMPP as well. That is the point I'm making.

GM's own GMPP website makes it clear - it states that GMPP is the only plan "endorsed" by General Motors. Why would GM need to "endorse" something it controlled? Short answer - it is a product offered by a third party that GM happens to promote. GM isn't standing behind it - the third party is.

Last edited by MNVette; 12-12-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i've purchased GMPP extended warranties on my last two corvettes. both times, i traded them in, cancelled the warranty, and GM pro-rated the coverage and refunded the balance. i get the extended warranty for three reasons - one, usually anything major repair is going to be kinda pricy, two, if i ever try to sell the car outright, having a GM transferrable warranty is a big selling point. finally, just for my own peace of mind. i get the GMPP's on-line just before the factory runs out, and usually get 4 additional years, 40K miles, and $0 deductable. pricing about $1100.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

The GMPP is administered by a private third party, not GM. You aren't actually buying a "factory" warranty, but a guarantee that someone else will cover the bills.
It doesn't matter who administers it, its not going to "fold" after collecting premiums for a few years, as we've seen so often (unless GM folds, LOL)...GM couldn't let that happen.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I Agree.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Again, GMPP is NOT administered by GM - a third party takes care of it, and the third party takes care of the bills, not GM. If this can happen to UWC, it can happen to GMPP as well. That is the point I'm making.

GM's own GMPP website makes it clear - it states that GMPP is the only plan "endorsed" by General Motors. Why would GM need to "endorse" something it controlled? Short answer - it is a product offered by a third party that GM happens to promote. GM isn't standing behind it - the third party is.
if this is true, i would think GM would stand behind the warranty contract - ???? just exactly how do you know that GM subs the policy out to a third party? all my paperwork came from GM and nowhere does it state a third party adminstrator.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

This is directly from the sample contract as posted on the GMPP website:

"The obligations of the provider under this Agreement are covered by a policy of insurance issued by MIC Property and Casualty Insurance Corporation, Executive/Administrative Offices: 300 Galleria Officentre, Suite 200, Southfield, MI 48034."

What about this confuses all of you? GM is NOT backing any of this. Some company called MIC is the ultimate backer of the warranty, and they're licensing GM's logo, etc. to market themselves. GM agreed to promote them as their "endorsed" extended warranty provider.

Everyone in here thinks GM is going to back their extended warranty. It doesn't say that anywhere in the contract they have posted online, so why do you think GM is going to pay for your repairs if this MIC company folds?

There is also reference in the contract to GMAC Service Acceptance Corp. being the initial provider of services. GMAC is part of GM's failing lending arm that it recently sold off, so this really isn't GM offering you anything at all. Anyone feel good about GMAC remaining solvent in this housing market?

As for the PR issue, I agree that GM would be smacked pretty hard if it didn't honor warranties, but if it comes down to having to write checks for millions of dollars or suffering some PR issues, which do you really think will win?

Last edited by MNVette; 12-12-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the sky falling yet?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Never buy em. They are pure profit for the seller
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

If I were going to buy one, I would wait until the factory warranty was just about up. I don't get why people cough up the money when it isn't needed for years to come.

With the new powertrain warranty, they aren't needed as much either.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Low12s
Unless you have a $4500 part replaced under extended warranty. BTDT.I will always get an extended warranty for my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Think Twice About Extended Warranties

Old 12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Low12s
You obviously did not buy my C6. If you could ever make a case for an extended warranty, mine is it. As far as buying a third party warranty, well suckers are everywhere-- eddie
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
If I were going to buy one, I would wait until the factory warranty was just about up. I don't get why people cough up the money when it isn't needed for years to come.

With the new powertrain warranty, they aren't needed as much either.
I have never understood this either.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Unless you have a $4500 part replaced under extended warranty. BTDT.I will always get an extended warranty for my car.
Ouch...what part costs $4500?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think Twice About Extended Warranties