C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Switch on Dead Pedal - how to with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM
tfkrato
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NPP Switch on Dead Pedal - how to with PICS

I really like the idea someone posted of the NPP switch on the dead pedal so I did it. Here's and explanation and PICS of my install.

1. Purchased a Mini Add-A-Circuit from Autozone and some 14GA wire
2. Purchased an on/off fixed position (ie. not momentary) switch from Lowes.
3. I already had heat shrink, solder, soldering iron

Using the Add-A-Circuit I created a fused circuit plugged into the NPP fuse slot. The wire attahced to the Add-A-Circuit, which is fed from the top fuse, goes to one side of the switch. The other side of the switch returns to the same side of the Add-A-Circuit but to the bottom fuse slot. I made the connection to the bottom fuse slot by cutting a spare fuse apart to get one of the bare fuse prongs. I then soldered a wire to the prong, put heat shrink over the solder, and slid the prong into the right side of the bottom fuse holder. The Add-A-Circuit now simply plugs into the NPP fuse slot.

Next I had to run the wire to the dead pedal. I was able to easily slide a wire fish under the console and fish it through. Took a little poking with the fish and fealing under the carpet and plastic but was pretty easy. Once I fished the wire through the console I simply ran it under the top of the carpet to the dead pedal and to the circuit box.

Finally I unscrewed the two nuts holding the dead pedal in place, drilled a hole and mounted the switch near the top, fastened the wires from the Add-A-Circuit to the switch, and bolted the dead pedal back in place.

Bingo! NPP switch installed with a 10AMP fused circuit.

Here is the Add-A-Circuit in the box.

Here is the Add-A-Circuit with the wire I added. This wire and the one which came with the Add-A-Circuit go to the switch.

This is where I fished the wire through the console.

Here's the modified Add-A-Circuit in the NPP fuse slot.

Here's the dead pdeal with the switch.

Last edited by tfkrato; 12-30-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Forum memeber asked to repost with pictures added back
Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Different and a good idea.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Nice job, I would not wire it like you have it since that fuse it hot 100% of the time (even with the car off). Even though you have a fuse I still don't like the idea of power running through the additional wire and switch with the car off. You can install the tap in the seat heater spot as show on pages 3 and 4 of my mild2wild instructions (they are on my site). Also do you find you have to keep your foot lower on the dead pedal since the switch is at the top? I had spoke to Gary Thompson (he did this a while back) and I was going to make this an optional kit, but I found in the normal foot position on the dead pedal my foot already extends past the top and the switch would be in the way?

Last edited by Pipedreams; 01-01-2008 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-06-2017)
Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
Nice job, I would not wire it like you have it since that fuse it hot 100% of the time (even with the car off). Even though you have a fuse I still don't like the idea of power running through the additional wire and switch with the car off. You can install the tap in the seat heater spot as show on pages 3 and 4 of my mild2wild instructions (they are on my site). Also do you find you have to keep your foot lower on the dead pedal since the switch is at the top? I had spoke to Gary Thompson (he did this a while back) and I was going to make this an optional kit, but I found in the normal foot position on the dead pedal my foot already extends past the top and the switch would be in the way?
Gary Thompson installed this in my 08 coupe after he had installed one in his. I love it. I find that the switch is high enough that I must raise my foot up to hit the switch, therefore the switch is not in the way.

I had the Mild2Wild switch prior. Great product. I just like the foot switch for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Interesting idea, thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by MThomas
Gary Thompson installed this in my 08 coupe after he had installed one in his. I love it. I find that the switch is high enough that I must raise my foot up to hit the switch, therefore the switch is not in the way.

I had the Mild2Wild switch prior. Great product. I just like the foot switch for me.
Good feedback , thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure what the advantage is by going through all that to install a foot switch. The remote units are so small and easy to operate, plus they can be secured just about anywhere. To each their own.

~AL~
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

..... I still don't like the idea of power running through the additional wire and switch with the car off.....
Good point. I installed a switch as well using the same basic method as in this thread (but not on the dead pedal). I installed an inline fuse in the circuit before the switch in case of any shorts/grounds downstream in the new circuit.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Nice write-up, Good idea too!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Harry Horchler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mtw

I have Ed's MTW with the remotes. To me the remotes and the electronic switching is well worth the money, and maybe much safer for the car. IMHO HH
Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Gary Thompson
Drifting

Greetings

What a great idea. on demand exhaust note at your foot.

regards
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Gary Thompson
Drifting

Greetings

You must have a hell of a big foot!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Ghostrider26
Intermediate

IMO it's a great idea! - Much better than having to reach for a remote. Would love to see this as a package/option for sale. Possibly include a better button on the dead pedal

Let me know when it's for sale !!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

nice work
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

nice idea, don't think I would go this route though...have the M2W switch and like the remotes...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Not sure what the advantage is by going through all that to install a foot switch. The remote units are so small and easy to operate, plus they can be secured just about anywhere. To each their own.

~AL~
Never have to take your hands off the wheel to activate the swith. But no big deal.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Great post Tom with very good instructions and pics Thanks for replying to my PM.

Also, great feedback from Ed at Pipedreams. It looks like Ed values our safety, even at the expense of loosing a sale. Kuddos to Ed

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Switch on Dead Pedal - how to with PICS

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Gary Thompson
Greetings

You must have a hell of a big foot!

so that's why she said:

"it's twue it's twue !!"
Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
tfkrato
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback. When the switch is closed the circuit is functionally the same as the factory circuit with the fuse in. So what you are saying is the factory circuit has power running through it all the time, even when the car is off? That's odd. Guess I could just leave the switch open and only close the circuit (ie. like the normal factory circuit) when I want it quiet.

ONe thing I tested for was switch location. I found I really only put my toes on the dead pedal, and even when I intentially slide my foot up the switch is not in the way. Look at my photo of the dead and you will see a black line slightly above the switch. That is where I was going to mount it but decided to lower it a little.

Last edited by tfkrato; 01-02-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Great post Tom with very good instructions and pics Thanks for replying to my PM.

Also, great feedback from Ed at Pipedreams. It looks like Ed values our safety, even at the expense of loosing a sale. Kuddos to Ed
Here is the picture of the correct hookup. If anyone needs parts I have the correct ones for the install

Quick Reply: NPP Switch on Dead Pedal - how to with PICS