C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market or Factory Nav

Old 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chai1836
That's the D3, right? That is the unit I will be installing.

What instructions, if any did you use for the install? I have a factory non-bose system (since I knew I was going to replace it) and I do not have the HUD. Are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

Biggest concern is having to splice wires and all of that. I keep seeing things that people use to "tap in" to a wire. Do those require splicing or anything? I am a complete audio novice and I don't want to screw anything up. I figure if I could install a C6 Z06 shifter in my C5, I can do this...hopefully I am not incorrect.
It is the D3.

I didn't use any instructions, I just read about a few other installs in the C6 audio FAQ before doing mine. It's not very difficult at all if you do the research ahead of time. Don't start if you will have to rush, and ask questions here whenever you're not sure.

Basically, you buy the interface module that's appropriate for the options in your car, then you splice the interface wires to the wiring harness that's included with the D3. Most of it is color coded, so you just connect the red to red, etc. After that, the entire assembly (D3 and interface) plugs into the car just as the stock radio did. You may also have one or two other wires that need to be connected to the car directly, again depending on the equipment in your car, but it's not difficult at all.

I put the XM and Bluetooth modules under the carpet along the trans tunnel on the passerger side, but others put them in different places.

I used these parts for my Bose equipped 05:

-Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit
-GM Antenna Adapter Motorola M to OEM antenna
-Pioneer CD-i200 Ipod Control Interface
-Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth Adapter
-Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM Radio unit
-Peripheral Electronics GMCO harness adapter4
Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried keeping the stock Nav and changing everything else out. That only made me realize how weak the stock Nav and stereo was. I re-did my entire system and went with a Kenwood DNX-7100. I had the same thoughts about losing the heads up display and chimes, but when I found out PAC made a unit to fix the chimes, I went for it. My installer made all the connections to fit my stock NAV and stereo easy to convert back to stock if and when I was ready to sell. I will post pics tonight or tomorrow of the new system.

-Ron
Old 01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
chai1836
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flareside
It is the D3.

I didn't use any instructions, I just read about a few other installs in the C6 audio FAQ before doing mine. It's not very difficult at all if you do the research ahead of time. Don't start if you will have to rush, and ask questions here whenever you're not sure.
Cool, thanks for the advice!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM
chai1836
Racer

Originally Posted by DSOMonster
I tried keeping the stock Nav and changing everything else out. That only made me realize how weak the stock Nav and stereo was. I re-did my entire system and went with a Kenwood DNX-7100. I had the same thoughts about losing the heads up display and chimes, but when I found out PAC made a unit to fix the chimes, I went for it. My installer made all the connections to fit my stock NAV and stereo easy to convert back to stock if and when I was ready to sell. I will post pics tonight or tomorrow of the new system.

-Ron
Looking forward to seeing pics. What was the install price if you dont mind me asking...might be the easiest way for me to do it.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
kdhand
Instructor

Default What's next?

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
...at least we're getting some consistency on the forum - now the bose and nav are under fire - whats next?
Mom, & Apple Pie? Chevrolet/GM already bashed!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Default AVIC-D3 is Installed

My car: 2007 Bose w/6-CD HU, WITHOUT OnStar

Parts used:

Pioneer AVIC-D3
Pioneer CD-i200 (iPod cable)
PAC SWI-PS (to retain steering wheel controls)
Scosche GM09SR (OEM radio harness adapter)
SIR-PNR2 (SIRIUS receiver)
Antenna adapter
Mounting plate
30amp ground loop isolator (I had nasty alternator whine)
2x Pre-amp ground loop isolators (front & rear)

Total cost: Right at $1000

I did all of the work myself, it wasn't too bad. The dash is pretty simple compared to the C5. The SIRIUS receiver is suspended behind the glove box (plenty of room up there if you look up from the floor board), the ground loop isolators are zip-tied to an unused bracket to the right of the HU (behind the dash, just above the slot in the glove box where a dead fob would be inserted), and all of the other adapters and cables are stuffed behind the HVAC controls.

I had already changed out the front twiddlers with aftermarkets, and I didn't want to take up any storage space in the rear for a sub, so I decided to use the stock Bose amps and the already installed speakers. I think it sounds pretty good, there are enough filters and enhancers built in to the D3 to make just about anyone happy. Maybe it's just me, but the bass speakers in the doors also seem to be putting out more bass than they did with the stock HU.

The Scoche GM09SR adapter works great, it maintains RAP and even has the 'door ajar' chimes. I did notice that I no longer hear the beep when I push any seat or lock buttons on my door, but I can live with that. I'm guessing that the beeps will be there if the radio is powered up when I push the buttons.

The PESWIPS was also a pleasant surprise. It is completely programmable, so I used the 1-6 button on my steering wheel as a MUTE button.

The only problem I had was some nasty alternator whine, but the ground loop isolators did their job and now everything is crystal clear, even with the HU muted. I don't know if it was the power supply noise filter or the pre-amp ground loop isolators that got rid of the whine since I installed them all at the same time, but with everything installed it is perfect.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the end result, especially considering it only cost $1000 compared to $1750 for the GM version that doesn't play DVD's or control my iPod.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
mikesul
Drifting

Had a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 w/Bluetooth adapter put in my '08. Had 3LT, but didn't want the factory NAV. Have the unit modded so on the fly changes can be made to travel directions and DVD movies will play whenever wanted.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
...at least we're getting some consistency on the forum - now the bose and nav are under fire - whats next?
Ashtray ?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vette.guy
Listen to the guys above...the factory NAV is a p.o.s.
Alot to be desired in the factory NAV. It has some nice features but also alot of negatives; overall, better than nothing!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
rixxs00
Advanced

Default kenwood dnx7100

Hope I can help someone the way other posts helped Me.. Just write Me, My Wife and I did the whole Install ourselves .
I will try and post some pics

Last edited by rixxs00; 01-27-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:53 PM
rixxs00
Advanced

Default kenwood dnx7100

We went with the kenwood, it has Gps nav, it's better than Dvd nav..
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

...aftermarket, Garmin Nuvi ...what about the ashtray?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
wild oats
Racer

factory nav/ Just study and read a little, works nice with heads up, and displays radio nice too..looks better than a matchbox sticking up on a gimble..
Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree stock nav works fine to me. Looks just fine sitting in the dash. No ugly matchbox sticking up.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
WadeH
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The HUD integration with the factory NAV is a killer feature to me. I love the fact that I can turn off the voice guidance and have the HUD tell me when a turn is coming up.

Yeah, the 'Agree' button is annoying, but it could be worse. You only see it when you actually use the NAV, and it responds right away. Our Acura MDX (which has a very highly regarded NAV) brings up the 'Agree' screen every time you start the car. There is about a 30 second delay after it displays the legal speak before it actually gives you the button. And then there is another 15 second or so delay after you push the button before the screen is useful for anything else.

I would like to have decent iPod integration and am hoping that GM actually ships the PAL some day. Bluetooth would be nice, but I have a vert and almost always have to top down, so I doubt that hands free would work very well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After market or Factory Nav