C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette is NOT a cold weather car

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

OUCH....I disagree with it not being a cold weather car...I drive mine all winter....granted the Supercar tires suck in the cold but if don't accelerate hard there is no problem.....
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im really sorry about your c6.

youre right - the supercar tires are horrible in any weather under 50 deg. i once almost went sideways by making the mistake of accelarting around a turn... never again.

I finally decided to go with non supercar tires... 1/2 because of price and 1/2 because of safety. To me, its worth sacrificng a tiny fraction of performance for more safety and less $$$ 'burned'
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

Actually with all weather tires rather than the high performance tires that come on the Vette, it goes very well in bad weather. It's the tires that are causing the problem. The only time I had problems in bad weather was when I tried to run kuhmo high performance tires several years back. As soon as I put the Kuhmo all season tires on I had no further problems. This of course assumes you are driving to match the weather in which you are traveling . I have driven thru some heavy snow storms & always got to where I was going & have never gotten stuck, except when I had the wrong tires on the car. The only thing I worry about is the other guy or gal on the road.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

Sorry to see that one. I drive here in Chicago in very cold weather, without any problems. That being said, I do not have supertires, and am running the Firestone Wide Ovals. I have also learned to take it really easy on the go peddle when it gets really cold here. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
dsdrury
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

WOW, so sorry to hear about and see your damage. I am in Colorado and drive year round but am very careful. I still don't know what state your from unless I missed a post. Good luck on your repairs. Donn
topelf
Racer

Happy that you're ok! I drive my 06 everyday. Even in light snow but never deep snow or ice. I will admit everytime I leave the house I worry that my baby will get hit or slide into a ditch. You just have to be careful. Usually, if I can get off the driveway, then I'm ok for the 5 mile drive to work. I'm still running the stock GY EMTs. Also, I've been surprised at work a couple time by unforcasted snow storms of more the 2 inches and managed to make it home safely. Albeit white knuckled driving!! I drove my C5 the same way for 6 years also. Am I lucky, blessed or what??!!
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gilly6993
OUCH....I disagree with it not being a cold weather car...I drive mine all winter....granted the Supercar tires suck in the cold but if don't accelerate hard there is no problem.....
So far, I haven't had any issues, and have found my C6 to be much better than my previous 05 GTO. That car sucked in the cold!! The stock GYs (non-supercar) so far aren't that bad. I'm so use to my GTO wagging its butt all over the road, the Corvette is surprising me with how much it sticks. Just light throttle and brake application, and should be okay.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so you are OK..that all that matters.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

The Corvette is a cold weather car with the right tires, this title should say that the Supercar tires are not cold weather tires.

I drive my C5 everyday, winter included, and with good all season tires I have no problems at all. It would do even better with true snow tires.

I'm sorry about what happened, but don't label the Corvette as being undriveable in the winter when it's really the tires that are to blame. Summer tires simply do not do well in extreme cold.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad that you nor anyone else was injured. Wish you would have asked before driving in the winter.

That is the reason those of us up north put ours away. The damage does not appear to be that serious and certainly is repairable.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ^ROCKSTAR^
man...it is soooo painful to see this...BUT
at least you're ok. Things like cars can be replaced...lives can't
Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default enough

so many stories from people who have same type experiences on even non-corvettes where the mfg installs PERFORMANCE TIRES--
GOOD ALL SEASON TIRES SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL CARS.. SPECIAL PERFOMANCE TIRES SHOULD BE OPTIONAL.
i suspect this is an effort to get folks to buy more sets of tires.
my lexus gs awd came with performance tires that sucked in first snow,so i had to get another set of tires for real traction in winter.

with corvette it can be multiple isuues:
run flat tires
performance tires
z51 package
slow reacting trac control

........love both cars,but feel i'm being had by the tire companies.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default corvette not cold weather car?

Just curious....what air pressure were you using in cold weather?
Was it the recommended 30 psi cold?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wightmn
Sorry to hear about the car. Glad you are ok. Was there moisture on the street or just cold? Doesn't the active handling try to keep you headed in the right direction?
Was dry, perfect conditions, just cold.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

not to pour salt on your wounds, but you couldn't figure it out from reading this forum, vettes and snow don't mix.......plus i can't believe you have seen any other vettes on your snowy roadways, why????
Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AP
Let me guess ... you have the Z51 suspension ... because that would make the situation even worse ...

As far as the upgrade ... it's not a bad idea ... but I doubt your insurance will pay for the rims and rears that would complete the look ... but it's not a bad way to get it done a little cheaper.

Yup the Z51 suspension. Looking at it, I'll probably get 1 fender, 1 bumper, 1 wheel, and 1 tire. I consider it a discount on something Ive been thinking about doing for a while. Have to see what the insurance company says.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
...SPECIAL PERFOMANCE TIRES SHOULD BE OPTIONAL....
They are optional... the Z51 is a performance option... all items in the Z51 package are performance / track oriented, including the tires... GM needs to perhaps make the consumer more aware of this fact.

A lot of folks get the Z51 because they think it's more "heavy-duty" and more "racey" even though they plan on using it only on the street... then they are unhappy when the brakes squeal and the Supercar tires slide in the cold or when they have to shift too often due to the lower tranny gears etc... they chose the wrong option.

For street use, a base or F55 is "best"... comes with the GS2 tires. If you are an enthusiast and are willing to put up with certain "performance car" issues on the street, then and only then should the Z51 be considered.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette is NOT a cold weather car

Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95PoloGreen
Actually with all weather tires rather than the high performance tires that come on the Vette, it goes very well in bad weather. It's the tires that are causing the problem. The only time I had problems in bad weather was when I tried to run kuhmo high performance tires several years back. As soon as I put the Kuhmo all season tires on I had no further problems. This of course assumes you are driving to match the weather in which you are traveling . I have driven thru some heavy snow storms & always got to where I was going & have never gotten stuck, except when I had the wrong tires on the car. The only thing I worry about is the other guy or gal on the road.
Thats the funny thing, I wasnt really accelerating quickly. You know how you have to let it rev a little more to get by cags. Well cags has trained me to shift at a little higher rpm than I probably should have in this weather. Thats it ! Im blaming it on CAGS !
Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsdrury
WOW, so sorry to hear about and see your damage. I am in Colorado and drive year round but am very careful. I still don't know what state your from unless I missed a post. Good luck on your repairs. Donn
Massachusetts
Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Just curious....what air pressure were you using in cold weather?
Was it the recommended 30 psi cold?
I had set it to 30 psi cold a while ago, but with the temps lately they go down to 28, then heat up to 31 on the highway.

It happend as I was just getting on the highway, they were probably at 28.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette is NOT a cold weather car