C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesoro Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Arco, (the old Atlantic Rictchfield) Amoco and BP(previously Standard Oil/Sohio, etc) are all brands owned by British Petroleum.

Giant Eagle refinery, formerly owned by TOSCO and now owned by Tesoro is one of several refineries in California that refine motor fuels . . .ConocoPhillips Wilmington/Carson refineries, Chevron, Shell, Texaco and others all have California refineries. I believe the newest refinery in the US in is Belle Chase, LA and was sold by BP to ConocoPhillips about 10 years ago.

And finally, while gasoline has regional formulations to meet emissions requirements- (like carb fuels) but all the refineries feed gas into the pipelines to the various terminals around the country without differentiation. The various grades are simply blends of higher and lower base fuels.

Additives pumped into the tanker trucks while being loaded at the terminal racks provide the distinctions advertised by each brand- whether they're truly unique or based more in marketing is a topic for the chemists.

Regards-
Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Not only is not all gas is created equal, octane isn't even octane. Octane only measures how hard it is to get the fuel to ignite under pressure. The harder it is to get it to burn the higher the octane rating. The octane rating is achieved by blending. If one component has a higher energy than another, the result can have the same ocane rating but a greatly different energy release in the engine. This is why using ethanol to increase octane rather than octane results in lower performance even with the same octane rating. If you could mix water, which has effectively an infinite octane rating and no energy from burning, with heptane you could get a 100 octane gas that wouldn't run worth crap. All octane ratings are not created equal.

Driving 25000 miles a year I buy about 1000 gallons. 1 penny per gallon translates to about 3 cents per day. I buy only the highest grade of Top Tier gas from a station with volume business and avoid ethanol if at all possible. Maybe that's why my engine runs so smooth.
Sorry, but your wasting your money and have been "brainwashed" by the marketing. Gas is gas, it is a commodity that is manufactured and sold on the commodity market. When you buy gas in Indiana its brought in via a pipeline. If you buy gas at an Exxon station, the odds that it was refined and manufactured by Exxon are about 1 in 8. Exxon refines it in Texas, its put in a pipeline that every other refiner uses, and Exxon takes out the same amount somewhere else in the country on the SAME DAY. The pipelines DO NOT SEPARATE GAS BY MANUFACTURER, only by fuel type (gas, diesel, kerosene, fuel oil). Ethanol and other addiitves are put in at the local distribution site. They add stuff to the gas to make it 93, 92, 91, 89 or 87 octane. The additives increase the octane and as a by product clean the engine. If you ever read the fine print from Shell, Exxon, Chevron, or any other gas company, the "guarantee" that their gas will "keep your engine running clean" only applies to premium gas because it has the highest amount of additives to make it the highest octane fuel. So-called "TopTier" gasoline is nothing but a marketing campaign and premium gas from the discount gas station is no different and just as good as gas branded as "TopTier".
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
Sorry, but your wasting your money and have been "brainwashed" by the marketing. Gas is gas, it is a commodity that is manufactured and sold on the commodity market. When you buy gas in Indiana its brought in via a pipeline. If you buy gas at an Exxon station, the odds that it was refined and manufactured by Exxon are about 1 in 8. Exxon refines it in Texas, its put in a pipeline that every other refiner uses, and Exxon takes out the same amount somewhere else in the country on the SAME DAY. The pipelines DO NOT SEPARATE GAS BY MANUFACTURER, only by fuel type (gas, diesel, kerosene, fuel oil). Ethanol and other addiitves are put in at the local distribution site. They add stuff to the gas to make it 93, 92, 91, 89 or 87 octane. The additives increase the octane and as a by product clean the engine. If you ever read the fine print from Shell, Exxon, Chevron, or any other gas company, the "guarantee" that their gas will "keep your engine running clean" only applies to premium gas because it has the highest amount of additives to make it the highest octane fuel. So-called "TopTier" gasoline is nothing but a marketing campaign and premium gas from the discount gas station is no different and just as good as gas branded as "TopTier".

You're entitled to your opinion just as the rest of us are. But I've used gasolines that didn't contain Techron and I've ended up with hesitation and rough idle. Adding Techron to the gasoline removed the problem. That's not marketing hype, that's actual experience. Now I use Chevron exclusively (it's easy to find where I live) and I never have had those problems recur.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Just make sure that wherever you are gasing up that the tanker truck is not there pumping in the fuel.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS WON
Just make sure that wherever you are gasing up that the tanker truck is not there pumping in the fuel.
Why?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Thrill6

Sort of like how you see lots of businesses that have the BBB symbol and are registered.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carnut08
Why?
kicks up everything from the bottom.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

You're entitled to your opinion just as the rest of us are. But I've used gasolines that didn't contain Techron and I've ended up with hesitation and rough idle. Adding Techron to the gasoline removed the problem. That's not marketing hype, that's actual experience. Now I use Chevron exclusively (it's easy to find where I live) and I never have had those problems recur.
How about if you used Arco and then added a bottle of Techron (the black bottle with gold letters) seems to be that the Techron fuel injector cleaner bottles are much more easily available as I haven't seen those other bottles and if I did see them they were at a Chevron station.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

kicks up everything from the bottom.
The gas is filtered before it hits the pump.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

How about if you used Arco and then added a bottle of Techron (the black bottle with gold letters) seems to be that the Techron fuel injector cleaner bottles are much more easily available as I haven't seen those other bottles and if I did see them they were at a Chevron station.
Sure that would work, but you'd end up paying more per gallon.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
It reminds me of "We are ISO 9000 Certified" .

Which really means: "many of our employees were sent to a worthless class and learned how to add tons of paperwork to the manufacture of the products we sell. In addition they do really good meetings, but our products are still crap".

Bottom line - I always buy name brand at high volume stations.
You should see those long lines at Costco
Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

You should see those long lines at Costco
I see them every Monday! Never buy gas there.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cruncher
BP purchased Amoco serveral years ago. Amoco was the last major gasoline company to include an additive package in all grades of its gasoline. Its advertising made Amoco #1 with consumers (prior to BP purchase) yet it was (and still is) Chevron that has a unique additive package as well as making and selling additive packages to other gasoline companies.

To the original poster, Tesoro is primarily in the refinning business. Their stock symbol is TSO that you can pull up on Yahoo! and read about the company. Valero (VLO) is also a refiner that has retail gasoline stations. ARCO was sold many many years ago and is marketed as a "lower cost" gasoline. Off the top of my head, ARCO is owned by either Ashland or Marathon Oil, I think.
So then Arco fuel is not good? They have the lowest cost maybe a few cents more than Costco.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I see them every Monday! Never buy gas there.
Wait in line can be up to 20 minutes or so
but then you know they have to empty and fill those tanks daily.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
That's why I said "if at all possible. Tax incentives make it impossible to find real gas in the midwest now. I try to fill up before going to Illinois and only buy as much gas there as I need to get back out of the state.

Big cities now also have ethanol due to the EPA so I try not to fill up in counties that have major cities. The big truck stops out in the middle of nowhere are the best for volume business and real gas. Luckily I spend a lot of time in a town with a permanent population of about 5000 so the EPA doesn't bother us but we have 50,000 people in town on a typical day so we have lots of big volume stations.
Ethanol is an octane enhancer. That means it can be mixed with cheaper gas and still have the ping resistance. Not only does the ethanol have less energy but the cheaper gas that can now be sold isn't good for mileage either.
WHAT? http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html #2 on the list.That we agree on.

Isn't the Union 76 fuel very high in ethanol?
I remember way back in the day 76 used to be the best fuel you could get.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by keyplyr
From http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html :

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

Where does the fuel Citgo fit in all of this?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Tesoro is widely available in Utah.

As far as the top tier gasoline debate the guy that mentioned the pipeline sounds correct. There is a Maverick and Chevron station across from each other in my town. Do you know who gets more business? The Maverick because they are always $.05 a gallon cheaper. There is hardly anyone at the Chevron station which leads me to believe their gas might be stale. Maverick has about 16 pumps and they are always busy. I never had problems with hesitation or stalling. I will make sure my car gets the correct octane since 85 is the low grade around here though, 91 is the top grade. I will throw a bottle of techron in once in awhile (about every 15k), not because I use non top-tier gas but because all gas could have issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Tesoro Gasoline

Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Tesoro is widely available in Utah.

As far as the top tier gasoline debate the guy that mentioned the pipeline sounds correct. There is a Maverick and Chevron station across from each other in my town. Do you know who gets more business? The Maverick because they are always $.05 a gallon cheaper. There is hardly anyone at the Chevron station which leads me to believe their gas might be stale. Maverick has about 16 pumps and they are always busy. I never had problems with hesitation or stalling. I will make sure my car gets the correct octane since 85 is the low grade around here though, 91 is the top grade. I will throw a bottle of techron in once in awhile (about every 15k), not because I use non top-tier gas but because all gas could have issues.
What about Rotten Robbies? What a name
Old 01-27-2008, 01:16 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

What about Rotten Robbies? What a name
I bought Chevron gas at a Rotten Robbies station in Parker AZ last October. It was a brand new station and had one of the nicest retail stores I've seen in a gas station. The sign out front was the familiar Chevron sign, but the sign on the building was Rotten Robbies. I thought that was odd.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I bought Chevron gas at a Rotten Robbies station in Parker AZ last October. It was a brand new station and had one of the nicest retail stores I've seen in a gas station. The sign out front was the familiar Chevron sign, but the sign on the building was Rotten Robbies. I thought that was odd.
That is so strange.

Quick Reply: Tesoro Gasoline