C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesoro Gasoline

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Tesoro Gasoline

This is the gas that Costco sells that comes from Golden Eagle Refinery in Martinez. Does anyone know anything about this gasoline? Is it better than Arco gas?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

CostCo has a HUGE allocation from Shell in Sandy Eggo County.

Regarding your answer about Tesoro, they were a smaller player many years ago. They are getting bigger now by buying existing refinerys from "The Majors." This has happened because the FTC mandated certain assets being "sold off" to complete a merger. They're fuel is probably better than BP (Arco). (Gasoline speaking)
Old 01-25-2008, 10:57 PM
DAYCRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Octane is..............what it is,........Chevron has techron which I say is good for the gas sending unit on the corvette from my C5 days, said gas is gas the big players advertise greatly for your business,
Dan
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NORTY
CostCo has a HUGE allocation from Shell in Sandy Eggo County.

Regarding your answer about Tesoro, they were a smaller player many years ago. They are getting bigger now by buying existing refinerys from "The Majors." This has happened because the FTC mandated certain assets being "sold off" to complete a merger. They're fuel is probably better than BP (Arco). (Gasoline speaking)
This is what the driver told me they supply USA Gas stations and some other smaller stations.
The Costco gas is usually a few cents less per gal. than Arco.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Never heard of it where I live. I use Shell Prem., Top Tier Gas and I also add Techron from my C5 days. I'm sure it's a good gas. I think it's important that the station your buying your gas from pumps a lot of gas, that way you know it fresh.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Chevron here is 3.50 to 3.65 a gal for 91 and Costco is about $3.20 a gal for 91.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Chances are, the gas you buy at a Tesoro station locally may not even be manufactured at Giant Eagle . . .all gas is the same . . .with the exception of the additives put into the tanker at the rack.

Tesoro's high octane will be just fine in the Vette . . .
Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CQRT
Chances are, the gas you buy at a Tesoro station locally may not even be manufactured at Giant Eagle . . .all gas is the same . . .with the exception of the additives put into the tanker at the rack.

Tesoro's high octane will be just fine in the Vette . . .
The consenus seems to be that Chevron is everyones favorite.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
SpankUU
Drifting

All gas is not the same. The octane may be the same number but the sulfur content will vary from refineries and gasoline blends. They have winter and summer specification requirements that regulate every component and vapor pressure set by the EPA.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LS WON
QuikTrip is my favorite here in Georgia. Top Tier 93, and their taquitos are awesome too!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jd94534
All gas is not the same. The octane may be the same number but the sulfur content will vary from refineries and gasoline blends. They have winter and summer specification requirements that regulate every component and vapor pressure set by the EPA.
That probably why my gas mileage has gone down.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
QuikTrip is my favorite here in Georgia. Top Tier 93, and their taquitos are awesome too!
Never heard of that gas. Just Chevron, Shell, Arco, Texaco, Union 76. Arco fuel is not one of the top tier fuels but most of the others are.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

They are a company out of Oklahoma. I think Atlanta is about as far south as they go. They always have about 4-5 people working in the store, keep it super clean and super friendly and have a lot of hot foods and a large soda/coffee bar.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a funny thing, but for at least 40 years Mobil has "owned" the premium oil business and Chevron has "owned" the premium gasoline business. That is at least as far as leading aditive technology goes. I believe in Mobil 1 for motor oil and Chevron's Techron for motor fuel.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carnut08
It's a funny thing, but for at least 40 years Mobil has "owned" the premium oil business and Chevron has "owned" the premium gasoline business. That is at least as far as leading aditive technology goes. I believe in Mobil 1 for motor oil and Chevron's Techron for motor fuel.
Isn't B & P the same as Mobil One ? Mobil One gas stations are now B & P.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 AM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't B & P the same as Mobil One ? Mobil One gas stations are now B & P.
Nope. It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile. It's difficult to know what the state of the industry is in your area if you don't state where you are.

The industry is changing rapidly. No way is BP the same as Mobil One. BP is the former "British Petroleum." They've mismanaged many aspects of their buisness from leaking pipelines in Alaska to exploding refineries in the southern US. Mobil One is now owned by Exon as a result of the merger between Mobil and Exon.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carnut08
Nope. It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile. It's difficult to know what the state of the industry is in your area if you don't state where you are.

The industry is changing rapidly. No way is BP the same as Mobil One. BP is the former "British Petroleum." They've mismanaged many aspects of their buisness from leaking pipelines in Alaska to exploding refineries in the southern US. Mobil One is now owned by Exon as a result of the merger between Mobil and Exon.
In same area as you.
I do remember Mobil One gas stations then they changed to B & P gas stations. We have Exxon around not many, some Citgo, no more Texaco and now I see more Valero stations.

Get notified of new replies

To Tesoro Gasoline

Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Octane is octane, gas is gas. It's the additives that keep the engine clean. Chevron's Techron is

Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I only use top tier gas, in my cars.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Not only is not all gas is created equal, octane isn't even octane. Octane only measures how hard it is to get the fuel to ignite under pressure. The harder it is to get it to burn the higher the octane rating. The octane rating is achieved by blending. If one component has a higher energy than another, the result can have the same ocane rating but a greatly different energy release in the engine. This is why using ethanol to increase octane rather than octane results in lower performance even with the same octane rating. If you could mix water, which has effectively an infinite octane rating and no energy from burning, with heptane you could get a 100 octane gas that wouldn't run worth crap. All octane ratings are not created equal.

Driving 25000 miles a year I buy about 1000 gallons. 1 penny per gallon translates to about 3 cents per day. I buy only the highest grade of Top Tier gas from a station with volume business and avoid ethanol if at all possible. Maybe that's why my engine runs so smooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesoro Gasoline