C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you clean light road dust from your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Larry Lewis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean light road dust from your car?

Living in Pa. driving in winter means salt dust and other road dust even on short drives. I normally dust the car off with a California duster, or damp a super micro fiber cloth to wipe the car down.

Does either of these methods cause surface scratches and is there a better way short of washing.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Guess it could depend on the color. I've been using a damp cloth (for the wheels and front bumper) but mostly the California Duster for the rest. Mine is MS and it still looks great after three years.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a couple of the Quick Detail sprays out there........both Meguiars and California Gold make pretty good ones. They seem to be enough anti-static that they keep the car clean a LITTLE longer. I hit mine with the duster first, then the detail spray with a micro towel finish wipe.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
PAvetter
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your car in the garage 'til spring!!!

Sorry but I don't have any advice. That salt is the reason mine stays locked and covered unless we see some warm days and some rain to knock it down off the roads. That stuff gets everywhere.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cali duster and quick detailer
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

cali duster, it doesnt matter if there is salt on the road, im here in fl and after a day of driving the car is completely dusty, the cali duster is great
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polish your car with Rejex and just use a California Duster, very lightly to remove the dust.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
SvetteC6
Racer

Originally Posted by PAvetter
Keep your car in the garage 'til spring!!!

Sorry but I don't have any advice. That salt is the reason mine stays locked and covered unless we see some warm days and some rain to knock it down off the roads. That stuff gets everywhere.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
jim213
Safety Car

I use the "duster" only if there is a very light coating of dust on the car. No way would I use that method if a light coating of salt was on it. Otherwise it is always a bucket of clean water, a wet microfiber, and then drying with another microfiber cloth.

It takes me very little time to "wash" my car this way and IMO the rear quarters along with the rear end need a little more than a dry dusting during this time of the year.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Polish your car with Rejex and just use a California Duster, very lightly to remove the dust.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
keg
Burning Brakes

California Duster only if there's no real had core dirt, The CD works great on light dust, then detailing wax if it needs it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Originally Posted by jim213
I use the "duster" only if there is a very light coating of dust on the car. No way would I use that method if a light coating of salt was on it. Otherwise it is always a bucket of clean water, a wet microfiber, and then drying with another microfiber cloth.

It takes me very little time to "wash" my car this way and IMO the rear quarters along with the rear end need a little more than a dry dusting during this time of the year.
and if the dust or salt is anything more than lightly covering, I will hose off the car first to remove as much as I can before rubbing with the microfiber.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jpgolf14
and if the dust or salt is anything more than lightly covering, I will hose off the car first to remove as much as I can before rubbing with the microfiber.

Good point.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
socalenergyman
Burning Brakes

Take the Ca duster and throw it in the garbage. Those thing will give you more scratches than you could ever imagine. Some colors WILL hide the scratches such as the metallic colors. If I even drop my micro fiber on the ground I put it in the wash and get a clean one. The Ca dusters collect every scratch partical on your car and spread them on the surface,it doesnt take much to scratch the surface. Wash your car,use a cham or micro fiber towel to dry,then Quick detailer on the final dry. PERIOD. If not....use the ol Ca duster and scratch her up.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
freyke
Burning Brakes

If not too humid and hot out (cool paint, low humidity) I use my California (
"Kal-iphorn-ee-uh" as Ahhnold sez) Duster followed by Turtle wax Ice Detail spray and a wipe down with a clean microfiber cloth.

From the men of few words dept.:

Giants 17, Pats 14

Score sez it all!

Last edited by freyke; 02-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Pahagaco
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by socalenergyman
Take the Ca duster and throw it in the garbage. Those thing will give you more scratches than you could ever imagine. Some colors WILL hide the scratches such as the metallic colors. If I even drop my micro fiber on the ground I put it in the wash and get a clean one. The Ca dusters collect every scratch partical on your car and spread them on the surface,it doesnt take much to scratch the surface. Wash your car,use a cham or micro fiber towel to dry,then Quick detailer on the final dry. PERIOD. If not....use the ol Ca duster and scratch her up.

Got to agree on the duster. I've never trusted the concept on wax collecting the dust and then reusing the duster. I feel better using my super micro fiber, folding it in quarters, and then rinsing it out with fresh water direct from the tap.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Maizen
Racer

I use a California duster and if there is a little more grime or spots, follow up with Griot's Speed Shine and a micro-fiber cloth.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you clean light road dust from your car?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's black & I have two other black cars. My '94 Mustang GT vert was black and when I sold it to get the 'Vette it looked like when I bought it new. The trick is to keep the cars garaged when home and if there is light dust I use the California Duster.....with feather light pressure only.

You will get scratches if you apply anything with pressure where there is any dust or dirt. That includes dusters, micro fiber & cotton. Frequent washing is the best bet.

Lately I've been using the CR Spotless system. It's AMAZING!
http://crspotless.com/
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Pahagaco
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by carnut08
Mine's black & I have two other black cars. My '94 Mustang GT vert was black and when I sold it to get the 'Vette it looked like when I bought it new. The trick is to keep the cars garaged when home and if there is light dust I use the California Duster.....with feather light pressure only.

You will get scratches if you apply anything with pressure where there is any dust or dirt. That includes dusters, micro fiber & cotton. Frequent washing is the best bet.

Lately I've been using the CR Spotless system. It's AMAZING!
http://crspotless.com/
I couldn't get the link to work.....
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Adam's detail spray and microfiber cloths.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-45-detail-spray.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-128-s...ber-towel.aspx

Quick Reply: How do you clean light road dust from your car?