C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla S Drone vs Borla Touring ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Smokin1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla S Drone vs Borla Touring ??

I installed GHLs on my 08 M6 Coupe. While this system was great on my C5, there is definitely significant drone in the 1500-1800 rpm range on this C6. My wife says no road trips. While I love the construction and sound of the GHLs, I need to find an accomodation for her. Since the Borla Stingers have a straight-thru design like the GHL, I am assuming the drone is going to be similar. I could put the stock exhausts back on but I prefer the construction and appearance of the aftermarket tips. What about the Borla Touring? Have any of you experimented with both the Singer and the Touring so that you could give be some feedback regarding the "drone"? Thanks for considering this Post.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I had Borla Stingers on my C5. Drone was bad enough at highway RPM's that I wanted to jump out of the car.

I have found out the the NPP exhaust is perfect-and with a M2W switch you can control when you hear the exhaust.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

I have the Borla Touring and several women, at least 5, have all commented on how good the car sounds - not objectionable at all. There is a slight drone but it is very tolerable and can be completely eliminated by turning up the stereo.

I have no experience with the Stinger system though.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Smokin1
I installed GHLs on my 08 M6 Coupe. While this system was great on my C5, there is definitely significant drone in the 1500-1800 rpm range on this C6. My wife says no road trips. While I love the construction and sound of the GHLs, I need to find an accomodation for her. Since the Borla Stingers have a straight-thru design like the GHL, I am assuming the drone is going to be similar. I could put the stock exhausts back on but I prefer the construction and appearance of the aftermarket tips. What about the Borla Touring? Have any of you experimented with both the Singer and the Touring so that you could give be some feedback regarding the "drone"? Thanks for considering this Post.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the GHLs. Just curious...do you wish you had gone with the factory NPP exhaust?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Smokin1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ozone
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the GHLs. Just curious...do you wish you had gone with the factory NPP exhaust?
When I ordered my car I could not bring myself to embrace the NPP. I do not like the looks of the complicated vacuum operated levers, the need for a vacuum reservoir tank, the perforated tips, and the less than best quality metallurgy. As I said, I really liked the GHL on my C5 and didn't anticipate the drone. I can handle it but my wife can't.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
NyCorvette2017
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Try Corsa Touring

Had Corsa Touring on my 07. Awesome sound when you want it, yet no drone at cruising speed.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
n2f
Racer

I had the Stingers for about 500 miles and switched to the Borla Touring (I've had it for close to 15k miles now). Too much drone at highway speeds (6th gear, 1500 to 1800 rpm) for my daily-driver with the Stingers (otherwise, awesome sound).

The Touring is nice - no drone - with just enough muscle car sound to make it easily better than stock (which was Honda quite ). There's some nice back-pressure burble at off-throttle and in between shifts which I really like also. Again, nothing obnoxious, just better than stock.

Last edited by n2f; 02-04-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I wen't for a ride in a 2005 with the Borla Touring. It was just a quick ride but I didn't notice any drone. A slight hum but it wasn't annoying at all. I actually thought it was a tad too quiet for my tastes, It sounds better than stock though that's for sure. It was slightly louder than stock & a little bit deeper. The wife should like it...
I myself am looking at Corsa Touring and B&B RT66 for my C6. I'm even checking out what Bassani has to offer. Good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Smokin1
Instructor

Originally Posted by n2f
I had the Stingers for about 500 miles and switched to the Borla Touring (I've had it for close to 15k miles now). Too much drone at highway speeds (6th gear, 1500 to 1800 rpm) for my daily-driver with the Stingers (otherwise, awesome sound).

The Touring is nice - no drone - with just enough muscle car sound to make it easily better than stock (which was Honda quite ). There's some nice back-pressure burble at off-throttle and in between shifts which I really like also. Again, nothing obnoxious, just better than stock.
Thanks n2f. This is the kind of first hand experience I was hoping to find.

Thanks to all of you who have responded.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I had Borla Stingers on my C5. Drone was bad enough at highway RPM's that I wanted to jump out of the car.

I have found out the the NPP exhaust is perfect-and with a M2W switch you can control when you hear the exhaust.
Well, there is a fair amount of drone with the NPP (using the M2W and leaving them open all the time). At 1500- 2000 RPMs you'll get quite a bit of drone. While you do have the option to switch back to a stock sound with a flip of a switch, doesn't do you much good if you're going to drive around like that all the time (might as well have stayed with the stock exhaust).

So for someone who doesn't want drone, I don't think the NPPs are for them (assuming you're leaving them open all the time). I like the sound, and like being able to go back to stock sound easily, but I'd love another option right in the middle. But its all subjective and the idea of a perfect exhaust sound for all times and circumstances is just a fantasy.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by n2f

Went with the Borla touring, and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I might just be lucky, but the Borla Stingers on my '07 have no drone. All I get from them is great muscle car sound!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had Stingers on the C5 vert and now on my C6 vert. The drone is over exaggerated on both cars IMHO. If there is drone it's easily muffled by the stock Bose. I've taken several long distance trips with the wife and neither of us has had issues with drone. Before anyone jumps in and says we're deaf, we're not. I'm required by my job to have my hearing checked annually and there has been no defects or degradation in 25+ years.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I've got Borla Stingers on my 08 MN6.
I absolutely love them.
I couldn't ask for a more awesome V8 muscle car sound.

There is some drone in 5th gear, below 60 mph, and in 6th gear, below 70 mph.
Since I have a manual transmission, I simply stay in 4th & 5th gears longer & stay away from the lower RPM's that are bothersome.

The only time it can get a little annoying is when I'm in heavy freeway traffic......slowing down & speeding up......between 60-70 mph.

On the wide-open highway, no problems.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
AJsRedRocket
Cruising

I've had the borla stingers and the corsa sports on a 2007. The drone on the borla stingers was too much for me. Changed to the corsa sports. No drone and still have a good sound. Not as deep as the borla's, but still good. I imagine the corsa touring model is even quieter.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla S Drone vs Borla Touring ??

Quick Reply: Borla S Drone vs Borla Touring ??