C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is clutch chatter?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Captain Crunch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is clutch chatter?

Sorry, newbie here... I have a MN6 08 C6 (501 miles) and have been hearing some kind of cha, cha, cha or sha, sha, sha type noise when in any gear. The noise speeds up when the engine speed increases and vice versa. Of course, it is very faint and cannot be heard when driving on the highway due to road noise or if you play the stereo only on notch 1 or 2. Sometimes when in gear, the noise goes away and but always comes back. I've reved the engine slowly out of gear and there is no noise. Is this clutch chatter? Thanks for your input and help!

If this is clutch chatter, I'm not going to worry much about it. I've read that this is more of an annoyance and goes away. But, if this is not clutch chatter, I'm going to take my car into the dealer next week.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

What you're describing doesn't sound like clutch chatter, but I wouldn't take it in for service unless it grew into more serious issue. As new as your Vette is, it won't hurt to monitor the condition for a while to see if it gets progressively worse.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

hard to tell from your description, but let's make sure of a couple things: first, you're slowly accelerating in first gear from a stop, your foot is completely off the clutch pedal, right? and that's when you can hear these noises? and turn off the radio/stere/cd so you can isolate noise/sound.

second, you're doing the same in second gear, and foot is completely off the clutch? can you hear it right beneath your feet? or, is it possible it's coming from the rear of the car?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch chatter is the sound of the clutch disc cyclically breaking free and then adhereing to the flywheel at a frequency of several times per second. This condition typically occurs during partial engagement of the clutch, and not when the clutch is fully engaged. It typically happens when you're shifting gears, not when driving down the road.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
Sorry, newbie here... I have a MN6 08 C6 (501 miles) and have been hearing some kind of cha, cha, cha or sha, sha, sha type noise when in any gear. The noise speeds up when the engine speed increases and vice versa. Of course, it is very faint and cannot be heard when driving on the highway due to road noise or if you play the stereo only on notch 1 or 2. Sometimes when in gear, the noise goes away and but always comes back. I've reved the engine slowly out of gear and there is no noise. Is this clutch chatter? Thanks for your input and help!

If this is clutch chatter, I'm not going to worry much about it. I've read that this is more of an annoyance and goes away. But, if this is not clutch chatter, I'm going to take my car into the dealer next week.
When taking off in first gear you will notice car shakes as you release clutch almost likely you are not releasing correctly.Car shudders will releasing clutch this cause chatter.
z51vett
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

When you try to slowly engage the clutch, the clutch will not hook up smoothly and it will feel like when you're freezing cold and your teeth "chatter" - something I haven't experienced for a long time here in central Florida.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Captain Crunch
Intermediate

Thanks for all of your replies! I guess I don't have clutch chatter. The noise happens when my foot is off the clutch. Acceleration is smooth.

The owner of the dealership I purchased the car from said to drive it like your normally would and that there is no break in period except the brakes. He said for the brakes to not brake hard the first 500 miles. So, I've accelerated up to 3500 rpms a couple times and about 3000 rpms maybe about 8 times. Other than that, I've been under 2000 rpms. I think the car should still be ok, right?

I cannot see what is making this noise. I guess as one of you suggested, I'll just monitor the noise to see if it gets worse. But, this is my baby so, I'm very finicky when it comes to unwanted noises.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Michael Hunter
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Clutch Chatter

I think everyone has pretty much described clutch chatter. But one other description is when you are releasing the clutch you will get a vibration when the clutch disc is mating with the flywheel. Things that cause clutch chatter is a flywheel that isn't true (flat), weak pressure plate, or weak torsional springs in the clutch disc. Normally goes away after you fully release the clutch pedal.
The noise or vibration you are hearing or feeling is it at any particular RPM??
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
...The owner of the dealership I purchased the car from said to drive it like your normally would and that there is no break in period except the brakes. He said for the brakes to not brake hard the first 500 miles. So, I've accelerated up to 3500 rpms a couple times and about 3000 rpms maybe about 8 times. Other than that, I've been under 2000 rpms. I think the car should still be ok, right? ...
Here's the break-in procedure listed in the 2007 manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an
elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in
the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h)
or less for the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed,
fast or slow, for the first 500 miles
(805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts.
Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow,
the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first
200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time
your new brake linings are not yet broken
in. Hard stops with new linings can mean
premature wear and earlier replacement.
Follow this breaking-in guideline every time
you get new brake linings.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can
be gradually increased.
The owner was only about half right.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Captain Crunch
Intermediate

gota07, after reading the owner's manual, I didn't feel so good about the accelerations up to 3000-3500 rpms. But, since I've done it only a dozen times, I think I still might be ok.

I haven't been downshifting. Been changing speeds between 55-70 on the highway, and other different speeds on different gears (usually up to 2000 rpms at each gear and bring it down.).

Thanks for you insight. If you are in the Dallas area give me a holler.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It sounds like you have been driving the new Vette reasonably for the most part. I wouldn't worry about a few deviations from the guidelines, just follow them as close as your right foot will allow from here on out and call it good.

Get notified of new replies

To What is clutch chatter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is clutch chatter?