C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting for C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Scubaholic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting for C6

I would like to have my windows tinted, but what about the window indexing feature? When tinting windows, you are not suppose to "roll" the window down for three days. The indexing feature automatically moves it a little. I would think this is not good for window tint that has not had time to cure. Any opinions?? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think anyone has had that issue. You'll be o.k!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my windows done, the technician applied heat to the top half inch or so of the window for longer than he applied it to the rest of the window. He assured me that it accelerated the drying of the film in that area and the film would not be affected by the indexing feature. It has been about a year and I can see no problem with that top edge.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I don't think anyone has had that issue. You'll be o.k!

When I had mine tinted I asked that same question. The guy laughed and said, "almost every car that comes through here has indexing windows"....
Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The guy that tinted my windows left a very small strip along the top edge of the windows without any tint film on it. There's no problem with the windows indexing,
Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The guy that tinted my windows left a very small strip along the top edge of the windows without any tint film on it. There's no problem with the windows indexing,
You will have more problems with the dots on the back window than the indexing. There are several approaches to that, do a search on dots. My tinter said to take a microfiber towel and press the film into the dots every day for the first week. Seemed to work for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
FEAR
Pro

first of all 3 days is overkill, you just need to let most of the water under the tint dry. overnight tends to be enough. i tinted my vette 10 pm the day i got it and opened the windows the next day with no problems
Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Scubaholic
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigJoe
You will have more problems with the dots on the back window than the indexing. There are several approaches to that, do a search on dots. My tinter said to take a microfiber towel and press the film into the dots every day for the first week. Seemed to work for me.
BigJoe, being that I have a vert, I don't think I'll be tinting the back window, or now that I think of it,should I?? Can the rear window of a convertible be tinted??
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubaholic
BigJoe, being that I have a vert, I don't think I'll be tinting the back window, or now that I think of it,should I?? Can the rear window of a convertible be tinted??
Sure it can, and a LOT easier than tinting the big old coupe rear window. IMO it looks better if all the windows are similar in tinting.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
chai1836
Racer

My Vette and the Wife's C70 both have indexing windows and we had no problems when we tinted them.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Tint the back glass - if not, it will look goofy. Don't worry about indexing. They have to use quite a bit of heat to get the tint to lay flat on the compound curve of the side glass anyway. So I was running my windows up and down the day they installed the tint. Both on my old 06 and now on my 08.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the windows do index down, what does the tinter do to get them all the way up prior to applying the tint? If you turn on the power, will they roll up the rest of the way? I have never tried. I would think if this is the case, then you would need to roll them down a little after tinting so the door will close without breaking the glass?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 PM
TOMMYTRB
Instructor

The bigger problem with tinting windows, for me anyway was the Window Tint Violation, 2 times. Driving the speed limit and getting pulled over for nothing. Judge threw out the first one. Gave up removed tint. Court dismissed the second ticket after proving to the state that it would pass. Could even see better at night, glad i did it.
TRB
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Scubaholic
Instructor

Tommy, that must be an Alabama thing
Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Since the windows do index down, what does the tinter do to get them all the way up prior to applying the tint? If you turn on the power, will they roll up the rest of the way? I have never tried. I would think if this is the case, then you would need to roll them down a little after tinting so the door will close without breaking the glass?
I think that the tinter has to take the door panel off. I could be wrong though. I know when I was getting mine tinted, he was removing tint from someones car and he had the panels off.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
vvlf
Pro

Originally Posted by Silver99v6
I think that the tinter has to take the door panel off. I could be wrong though. I know when I was getting mine tinted, he was removing tint from someones car and he had the panels off.

Old thread I know, but god I hope this isn't the case
Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...When tinting windows, you are not suppose to "roll" the window down for three days. The indexing feature automatically moves it a little. I would think this is not good for window tint that has not had time to cure...
Disconnect the battery. This will disable the indexing feature... and it will stay dis-abled until you re-enable it... VERY easy to do: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-indexing.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 11-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To raise/index up while door open:
Use a pen or similar and click latch/catch on end of door to trick it into thinking door has been shut. (don't slam door shut in this position).
To lower/index back down while door open:
Press door release button on armrest to trick it into thinking door is shut and getting ready to be opened.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tinting for C6

Quick Reply: Window Tinting for C6