C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to swap out the stock radio for Aftermarket one

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it OK to swap out the stock radio for Aftermarket one

Brought my new 07 vette back to dealer because of bad battery, car wasn't starting after the radio & interior lights were left on in ACC mode for only 10 minutes after shutting off car. The car was in the dealer showroom for a year being show to customers & constantly draining the battery.

They just informed me that they are replacing the battery BUT the computer is constantly searching for moduals & not finding them. The stock radio was removed & replaced with:
http://www.oeradio.com/product_GM-5100.html#
The new radio does shut off automatically when the car shuts off.

but the vette amp is still being utilized. No speakers or amps were changed just the head.

The dealer wanted me to be aware that the computer may be draining the battery because it is always searching for the old radio/modual, EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS OFF!

Is this mumbo-jumbo? Should I be concerned with this? I see a lot of you guys changing out your radios, are there any computer related issues with doing so?

Steve
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. I have an aftermarket stereo, as do many others. I leave my car off without driving it for weeks and it always starts right up.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Is there something special about this particular kind of radio? The website calls them OEM-style radios - could there be something to this? The OEM radio in the Vette does communicate with the car - you can't swap radios, for example, without the codes that a GM tech enters (theft deterrence).
Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jogar80
Sounds like BS to me. I have an aftermarket stereo, as do many others. I leave my car off without driving it for weeks and it always starts right up.
I have a Pioneer D3 with no problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
chai1836
Racer

It is OK and I recommend it. Love my D3
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sarecco
Brought my new 07 vette back to dealer because of bad battery, car wasn't starting after the radio & interior lights were left on in ACC mode for only 10 minutes after shutting off car. The car was in the dealer showroom for a year being show to customers & constantly draining the battery.

They just informed me that they are replacing the battery BUT the computer is constantly searching for moduals & not finding them. The stock radio was removed & replaced with:
http://www.oeradio.com/product_GM-5100.html#
The new radio does shut off automatically when the car shuts off.

but the vette amp is still being utilized. No speakers or amps were changed just the head.

The dealer wanted me to be aware that the computer may be draining the battery because it is always searching for the old radio/modual, EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS OFF!

Is this mumbo-jumbo? Should I be concerned with this? I see a lot of you guys changing out your radios, are there any computer related issues with doing so?

Steve
I'd raise hell with them for replacing your factory radio head unit with an aftermarket one. The car should still be in warranty, make them put a genuine Denso factory radio back in it.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
fast05
Navigator

Default re: radio

I have seen lots of corvette batteries go bad for whatever reason cheap lead made by the lowest bidder. If the seven year battery last three years your pretty lucky. Also seen lots of problems with cheap ipod adapters staying on killing the batteries. The retained accessory power should shut everything off after 10 minutes unless someone wired the replacement radio to the wrong circuit and it is keeping a module from going to sleep. The dealer should be able to do a simple draw test to determine if something is staying on.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
C6VetteRocks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It could be the AMPs

For the standard audio and the Blose, the amp(s) (and the differential antenna) they are turned on and off by a signal from the radio call ANT Enable. If the radio is not controlling this signal correctly, the AMP(s), antenna, and XM receiver (if equipped) are staying on. The B+ for the AMP(s) come directly from the under-hood power distribution fuse block and are hot at all times. Without checking the AMP wiring there is no way to tell if they are on. The computer will not “be looking” for modules as long as the ign/*** is off and the fob is far enough away. I completely replaced my Blose system in my 2005 DSOM and the computer has no issues at all. In fact when I put the factory nav back in to figure out the antenna, it never complained just went right back to working.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great stuff thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it OK to swap out the stock radio for Aftermarket one

Quick Reply: Is it OK to swap out the stock radio for Aftermarket one