C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up DupliColor paint

Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
jaydub777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up DupliColor paint

Has anyone used the Duplicolor GM color matched touch up paint? They also have a touch up kit for about $15 at Walmart that includes sanding, clear coat, putty, and basically everything you would need besides the paint color to do some touch up on some small areas. I am looking to touch up some small rock chips on the nose of my C6. Just wanted to know if anyone had used this and how it looked.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:27 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydub777
Has anyone used the Duplicolor GM color matched touch up paint? They also have a touch up kit for about $15 at Walmart that includes sanding, clear coat, putty, and basically everything you would need besides the paint color to do some touch up on some small areas. I am looking to touch up some small rock chips on the nose of my C6. Just wanted to know if anyone had used this and how it looked.
I've used Victory red Duplicolor.It's a good match.Depending on the size of the chips you might want to use a toothpick,etc. as an applicator for small chips rather than get a big "shmear" with the brush that's supplied.And I've never been able to get the ballpoint pen applicator tip to work right.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Other guys have posted that they have used it for painting of calipers. I will do this soon myself.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richie15

I've used Victory red Duplicolor.It's a good match.Depending on the size of the chips you might want to use a toothpick,etc. as an applicator for small chips rather than get a big "shmear" with the brush that's supplied.And I've never been able to get the ballpoint pen applicator tip to work right.
on all counts!

I've used this to touch up some of my body color engine components, but have not tried to use it on the actual body of the car.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 AM
jaydub777
Instructor

ttt
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My advice...take it to a professional. In my opinion DIY spot paint repairs generally look like a DIY job.

I used one of those (highly recommended) paint pens (with a clear coat pen) to do some very minor touch-ups along the edges of the wheels wells. I had the correct color (mag red) but it didn't match.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

I used the GM tup for my LMB and it matches great as it should. The "pen" part doesnt work however no matter how I tried/cleaned it.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM
black2003
Racer

Default Not so hot

I used it . I found the paint thin and the color match was a little dark on Victory red. I had a friend that runs a body shop mix me up some that matches perfect. I think it would be worth while to go to an automotive paint supply and have some mixed.

If they have single stage get that, If not, ask them if they can use the single stage color binder. This will give you a gloss without the need to use a clear coat. Eliminating the clear coat on touch ups makes it easier to get a smooth surface with less work without the dreaded blob of paint. The GM paint from the parts department may be okay also, if its the same stuff they use to paint the car.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Duplicolor didn't match for me.

Used the touch up paint from ecklers as well as their chip repair kit which worked very well. Item# 46320 (not sure how to link)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by MARSC6
...(not sure how to link)
Sent you a PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Tried it once on my truck, colored the spot but didnt end up smooth. Is this supposed to be smoothed and blended into the rest of the finish somehow? Cant see how that could possibly be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Touch up DupliColor paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touch up DupliColor paint