C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding Wear and Tear on Bolster

Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Avoiding Wear and Tear on Bolster

I had the typical wear in my C4 - after a few months, the outboard bolster looked 10 years old.

When I first got my C5, I did a mod that worked out well - after 4 years, there was some wear, but not bad.

So, THE SAME WEEK I GOT MY C6, I did the same mod since I figured it would wear in that area.

I believe that the leather wears and tears because of the friction/pressure from entering/exiting and sandwiching the material against the hard bolster support.

Unzip the cover and pull away enough to expose the bolster support. You will find that the cover has very little protection.

I used a 5 x 5 inch piece of heavy felt with adhesive on one side. I wrapped it around the bolster support in the area likely to get contacted.

Then I wrapped a 6 x 6 x 1/2 piece of fairly dense foam around the support, over the felt, working the original bolster cover around it as I went.

I don't have pics, but here is a quick cross-section of what I did. The added thickness is barely noticeable, but getting in and out allows that area to give more, so it is being squeezed and abraded less.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mrtoner; 04-13-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

What also works (and doesn't require any modification to the vehicle) is to sit on the seat sideways first and then "swivel" in with your legs. That avoids most of the pressure across the bolster when you get in.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtoner
I had the typical wear in my C4 - after a few months, the outboard bolster looked 10 years old.

When I first got my C5, I did a mod that worked out well - after 4 years, there was some wear, but not bad.

So, THE SAME WEEK I GOT MY C6, I did the same mod since I figured it would wear in that area.

I believe that the leather wears and tears because of the friction/pressure from entering/exiting and sandwiching the material against the hard bolster support.

Unzip the cover and pull away enough to expose the bolster support. You will find that the cover has very little protection.

I used a 5 x 5 inch piece of heavy felt with adhesive on one side. I wrapped it around the bolster support in the area likely to get contacted.

Then I wrapped a 6 x 6 x 1/2 piece of fairly dense foam around the support, over the felt, working the original bolster cover around it as I went.

I don't have pics, but here is a quick cross-section of what I did. The added thickness is barely noticeable, but getting in and out allows that area to give more, so it is being squeezed and abraded less.

Hope this helps
Good information. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put left hand on bolster when getting in. Your hand takes the friction, not the bolster.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtoner
Take a closer look, the bolster is made of vinyl, not leather.
You are right, the main reason for its wear is because the foam padding is flimsy.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mrtoner...always the innovator. it kills me, though, how many people screw up their seats like this.

Originally Posted by jwolfrom
Put left hand on bolster when getting in. Your hand takes the friction, not the bolster.
yes! support your weight here, or better yet, where the door striker hits, and avoid the bolsters all together.

Last edited by gbgary; 04-13-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
Take a closer look, the bolster is made of vinyl, not leather.
You are right, the main reason for its wear is because the foam padding is flimsy.
I remember that it was leather on the C4, but I didn't pay close attention on the C6.

What I did notice is the absence of any amount of foam to protect the bolster from being crushed against the top edgle of the metal support.

Anyway, let's see how this goes.....
Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,209 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jwolfrom
I am doing that....
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Or you can just add seat covers?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Seat covers? why? to save the leather seats for the next owner?
BTW... seat covers may (with use) wear out the covered leather seats too... I've seen this in cars people covered their seats with cloth/wool covers.

Is today's seat covers, and clear bras, the 21st century version of plastic covered sofas of the 50s?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adias
Seat covers? why? to save the leather seats for the next owner?
BTW... seat covers may (with use) wear out the covered leather seats too... I've seen this in cars people covered their seats with cloth/wool covers.

Is today's seat covers, and clear bras, the 21st century version of plastic covered sofas of the 50s?
Mine are breathable Neoprene...
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a seat cover isn't going to save a seat from someone sitting on the side bolster and sliding down it causing the internal metal frame to damage the cover.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
Mine are breathable Neoprene...
Breathable or not, it still touches and imprints the underlying leather. Not good at all. Leather should be exposed... and enjoyed. If you like it, fine, the car is yours. My aim was to let you know that it may not be the protection you hope for.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
What also works (and doesn't require any modification to the vehicle) is to sit on the seat sideways first and then "swivel" in with your legs. That avoids most of the pressure across the bolster when you get in.

Been doing that from the start.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM
C746490
Pro

Aren't the side air bags in the bolster area? Maybe I don't know where you are adding the material. I have my seat go all the way to the rear upon engine shutdown so it is much easier to get in and out of the seat, also I keep a good coat of leather conditioner on the seats. Am I missing something here - please let me know.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
I was told this is also better for your back, of course YMMV.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:25 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did it ever occur to you that the C5 seats might be a different design than the C6 seats? I have only 2k mi on mine since I changed the covers (because of a color change) am already having this issue. I've had lots of other cars with leather and have never had this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Avoiding Wear and Tear on Bolster

Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Around here a lot of the corvertte drivers could stand to lose about 30 pounds of fat. I'm sure that would make getting in and out much easier too.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 AM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think everybody is right! Add the extra padding and still try to keep your butt off of the bolster when you get in and out.

HOWEVER....... I also have had quite a few cars with all leather seats and side bolsters, although not as pronounced as those on the Vette. This is the first car I have had with this problem. I think this is one of the very few areas of the car that is of questionable design. So, I will just deal with it in light of so many other things I really like about the car..... and do as some suggest and levitate by big butt around the bolster to the best of my ability.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've read about how thin the padding is along the bolster. Your mod makes sense if you need to do it. Fortunately, I don't have any problems rubbing along the seat when entering or exiting. I support my body weight by putting the palm of my left hand on the bottom of the door frame/sill when entering or exiting the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Avoiding Wear and Tear on Bolster