C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow up to dead battery- Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
srabin
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Follow up to dead battery- Need advice

For those of you that remember, I had a new amplifier/soundsystem installed and my battery keeps dying. The stereo place doesn't seem to think they did anything wrong, but it started only after the install, so you do the math.

At any rate, I have the yellow top battery in there and it now died too after sitting for only 3 days. The car couldn't even be jump started, so I went and purchased a battery charger.

Here is where it gets interesting....

I made all the connections with the battery still in the car. Positive to positive, negative to ground/bolts, etc... at no point while the battery was in the car would the battery accept the charge. ( I also disconnected the hot feed to the amps from the positive terminal)

I took out the battery and made the connections as follows-

Positive to positive, negative connected through a jumper cable to the negative on the battery (as instructed).

The battery takes the charge.

so my question is this- Given that the battery wouldn't accept the charge while still connected in the car but does when outside of the car, what does that tell us about the amp connections or head unit connections?

Does this prove that the amp isn't properly grounded and if fixed, that will solve my persistent dead battery issue?

Thoughts...

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Isolate the new amp and see what happens. Like you, I think the new system is the likely culprit.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Isolate the new amp and see what happens. Like you, I think the new system is the likely culprit.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 PM
srabin
Racer

My question more or less is about the fact that the battery wont even charge even with the amp power disconnected from the battery.

I'm not an electrician, but does that indicate what may be wrong?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by srabin
My question more or less is about the fact that the battery wont even charge even with the amp power disconnected from the battery.

I'm not an electrician, but does that indicate what may be wrong?
You state that you connected it correctly while in the car (negative to a bolt). There is often a problem getting a good connection to a bolt and I've found the C6 is harder than most. With a dead battery and a charger (not a tender) you should be getting a spark when you make the second connection. How many amps was the charger putting out? If more than a couple and the battery wouldn't charge then you have a pretty heavy short. I've never seen a properly connected charger fail to put some charge into a good battery with good connections even with a short in the system. A 2 amp short is going to get hot quickly. I'm thinking you just didn't have a good ground for the charger when in the car especially since you disconnected the new amp.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
srabin
Racer

It is a 2amp slow charger. I made the connections before I plugged it in.

Call me nuts, but i'm a bit afraid of electricity. I respect it too much I guess.

I tried the bold on by the fuse box and the bolt near the front wheel well.

You could be right, perhaps neither worked.

THanks,

Steve
Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also try pulling the fuse that powers the new sound system and see if that helps. After you get the battery charged!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
srabin
Racer

First thing I'm doing is bringing it back to the audio store and having them check the ground on the amp. They said they could also install some sort of switch that would turn the power to the amps off if I was going to leave it sit for more than a day or so.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

First thing I'm doing is bringing it back to the audio store and having them check the ground on the amp. They said they could also install some sort of switch that would turn the power to the amps off if I was going to leave it sit for more than a day or so.
I'd turn it off when the car is off(alt not charging the battery)... The battery doesn't have to drop far( or be dead) before you're unable to start your car. I had a problem after installing a Lock Pick. Per the tech @ a local dealer it was drawing 3amp/hr after the iPod was removed and the car was shut off.... something about a module not timing out/ going to sleep... result dead battery within hours! Must be somekind of design flaw in the electrical system... Could be its maxed out from the factory and adding accessories like this are more than it can handle? I'm sure the dealer would give me a good deal on one of their stock piled CD changers?

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 04-19-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

This is really stupid. The power to the amp should ALWAYS be turned off when the ignition is off! I'd find a new audio installer.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You mean the amp was left on when you turn off the ignition?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
This is really stupid. The power to the amp should ALWAYS be turned off when the ignition is off! I'd find a new audio installer.

Get notified of new replies

To Follow up to dead battery- Need advice

Quick Reply: Follow up to dead battery- Need advice