C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top manual vs. power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by keyplyr

The manual top is about as easy as can be. Why add the weight of a power top when it is unnecessary?

Um, are you on some NHRA indexed class racing league, who cares about the extra weight, where would this really matter in the real world on drop top, sun loving cruising, seriously.... Manual tops are for people who are honest enough to say they needed to save bucks somewhere so they could get into a Vert That is cool. Or maybe for people who are going to own them so long they are paranoid about having to pay for the repairs on it when it is off warranty and decides to stop working. All other excuses are lame. of course this is all in my humble opinion.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Um, are you on some NHRA indexed class racing league, who cares about the extra weight, where would this really matter in the real world on drop top, sun loving cruising, seriously.... Manual tops are for people who are honest enough to say they needed to save bucks somewhere so they could get into a Vert That is cool. Or maybe for people who are going to own them so long they are paranoid about having to pay for the repairs on it when it is off warranty and decides to stop working. All other excuses are lame. of course this is all in my humble opinion.
Enjoy your car

Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Vette'n04
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a C5 with the manual top, and although it was pretty easy to put up and down, I much prefer the power top on the '08. There just seems to be something wrong with having a $60,000+ sports car and getting out and putting the top up or down while people are watching you. Especially while their $25,000 car comes with a power top. I find I use it more being the power version. As far as more weight, unless you are tracking the car, how much weight are we really talking about, fifty, sixty pounds? With regards to it breaking, first you will have a warranty, second, why would it break any faster than any other movable part on the car? Just my opinion!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I believe that the weight difference between power and manual is 14 pounds....that ain't alot
Old 04-27-2008, 01:11 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want to put the top down any more often that you do, be frugal and skip the convertible entirely. If you are just plain poor/cheap/making payments/or whatever, why stretch for a convertible in the first place?

If you do get a convertible, get the power top. Once you have had one you will never go back. And you will take the top down more often because you never get out of your seat or move stuff.

Just enjoy it and the car will be easier to sell when you get rid of it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 AM
adias
Burning Brakes

If you are driving top down and there's a sudden downpour... you'll want a power top. I've recently seen a Vette being drenched when it suddenly started to rain - it was not funny.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the power top and like it. But given your description of very occasional use and desire to save some $, get the manual top. It should be a standalone order item, like some other things. Too bad GM doesn't "get" that.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Your point is?

...if it's weight, I'm 3 ponds lighter in the rear and 2 pounds lighter in the front each wheel than OEM

Yes it's weight.. I've also got forged 19/20's but if you were really worried about weight you would have gotten 18/19
Old 09-28-2021, 05:23 PM
Rubydoo
1st Gear

Default Drop Top Power

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Nothing wrong with a manual top, you don't have to worry about it breaking! I personally like not getting out of the car to put the top up and down. Plus I can do it while moving
Ya, but it does look pretty damn cool going down! And, you did buy a corvette didn’t you? 👍🏼😉
Old 09-28-2021, 10:02 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default 13 year old thread . . .

. . . but it was great seeing the names i knew so well during my second year on the Forum. Trip down C6 memory lane.

And my 2006 has the manual top - and I would not have it any other way.

Quick Reply: Convertible top manual vs. power?