C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 2005 Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
mulderick
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 2005 Transmission Leak

has anyone come across this problem? I have a 2005 C6 Coupe with a whopping 77K miles on it. The rear end was replaced under warranty at 35K, and I just put the car on a lift and my transmission (manual) is covered in wet black oil. No droppings on floor so it it a minor leak, no humming or adverse issues with trnasmission. It is also a Z51.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Legalice
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission Leak? Over fill? What the...

Originally Posted by mulderick
has anyone come across this problem? I have a 2005 C6 Coupe with a whopping 77K miles on it. The rear end was replaced under warranty at 35K, and I just put the car on a lift and my transmission (manual) is covered in wet black oil. No droppings on floor so it it a minor leak, no humming or adverse issues with trnasmission. It is also a Z51.
Came across this thread from 2008 while researching my 2005 manual transmission.

It is not a Z51 but the top of the transmission is coated in oil. There is nothing on the sides or bottom of transmission nor on my garage floor. Was looking at replacing the solenoid to help with shifting into reverse when I found the oil.

Where would this come from?

How do I safely clean it off?

Do I have a leak to fix?

Really weird to see this much stuff on top and nothing on the floor. There is some level of dirt as well so maybe it is old?

Saw a few threads with similar descriptions but none have replies or updates.

Anyone have a clue or direction I should go?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Legalice; 01-11-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Can be rear main leak, could be clutch fluid. Stick your finger in the rectangular openings in the bellhousing and see if wet? Clean it up and drive/inspect. Fluids travel as I found out recently.

I had my front end raised substantially for a week working under the hood and the next week driving I noticed what was the sure telltale sign of a rearmain leak. Cleaned it up twice really good....not 500 Miles later absolutely no leak...my guess is having the front up high for extended period allowed oil passed the oil pan rear seal and it showed it self. Lowered car and it stops

My point is keep checking and have open mind about possibles.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 2005 Transmission Leak

Quick Reply: C6 2005 Transmission Leak