C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes and drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:07 PM
smokeymctire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvettes and drifting

I am a hardcore drift fan and have watched numerous drift races. Not once have I seen a Corvette in a professional drift race. My dad bought a 2007 z51 convertible that I will be able to drive when I get my driver's license in two years. Once I inherrit it I would like to tune the car for track drift racing but since I never see any Corvettes drifting, I'm starting to wonder if there is something in the Corvette that prevents it from being a good drift car. It seems like the Corvette would be ideal for professional drift racing, it has RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, is very aerodynamic, and has a lot of horsepower and torque. Is there some technological flaw in the Corvette that makes it unable to drift like Vipers, 350zs, 240sxs, Lancers, Imprezzas, Camaros, and all of the other cars that are commonly used for drifting?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Corvette tires are too expensive for many here to be interested in drifting.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

There is no design flaw that I could think of that would prevent the Corvette from drifting. With the traction control and active handling turned off in this car you can light the tires at will all day long. I would imagine that cost and "typical owner" would be the only two limitations to seeing more of them in drifting competitions.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Corvette owners are just more mature to do that to their cars.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Die2Win
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talon90
There is no design flaw that I could think of that would prevent the Corvette from drifting. With the traction control and active handling turned off in this car you can light the tires at will all day long. I would imagine that cost and "typical owner" would be the only two limitations to seeing more of them in drifting competitions.

Cost has got to be the big factor. Drifters use several sets of tires per event.

However I thought that you wanted a car that was more front heavy as opposed to the near 50/50 balance of a Corvette to be good for drifting.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by Die2Win

Cost has got to be the big factor. Drifters use several sets of tires per event.

However I thought that you wanted a car that was more front heavy as opposed to the near 50/50 balance of a Corvette to be good for drifting.
Exactly my thoughts !
Old 05-03-2008, 08:39 PM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?

Originally Posted by JimTN
Corvette tires are too expensive for many here to be interested in drifting.
Even the "cheapies" are nearly 200 per tire for the rears, not including mounting and balancing. If you are inheriting the car, I hope that you also inherit stock in a tire company and some cash, too. Spending the better part of 5 C-notes every time you spend a day drifting is not my idea of fun.

Also, if you were my son and I saw this post from you there would be no way that I would consider, even for a second, at 16 or 17 years old letting you take the 'Vette off on your own.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slacker1201
drifting is favored by a much younger group. I don't think AARP sponsors drift events
Old 05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a die-hard drift fanatic but I enjoy watching it. I remember seeing at least one Corvette that was being used in professional drifting competition. Like any professional race car, drift cars are often specifically setup to drift. If you want to drift, there are driving schools that teach drifting. When I run road courses at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix, I often watch the drifting classes at the adjacent Bondurant Driving School.

If you want to drift...get some professional instruction...find a safe, legal venue...and do it!

Originally Posted by slacker1201
That's one way to phrase it. It's true though, of all the Corvettes on the road, only a very small minority ever get their car on a race track. For those Corvette owners that track their cars, I imagine drag racing is most popular (it's inexpensive, easy to do and there's a drag strip almost everywhere). Road racing is also popular with a small percentage of Corvette owners. IMO Corvettes are best suited for running a road course. Drifting is still somewhat new to the "more mature" masses of Corvette owners. It's more of a curiosity than something many Corvette owners want actually to do. It's hard enough to get many Corvette owners on a road course let alone getting them to drift their cars.

Originally Posted by Die2Win

The guys you see on TV are generally sponsored. It makes it far easier when you eat-up multiple sets of tires per night; when you have to pay to modify your car and when you need to repair the damage from smashing into a wall.

For an amateur, unsponsored driver, serious drifting would be an expensive proposition.

I'm sure rear wheel drive is a must but I would also think having a well balanced car would help in drifting as well. Control is still critical...even when you're going sideways.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it's an interesting form of auto sports. much of the dirt track racing is another form of drifting, i.e., four wheel slides, constant sideways motion, etc., and much of nascar comes out of, and some still participate in dirt track racing.

seems like a Corvette with the proper setup could be competitive.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
smokeymctire
Intermediate

I see that many of you say that cost is a problem for drift racing. That is not true because actually, there is a car commonly used in drifting that is much more expensive than the Corvette; the Dodge Viper. If cost is no big deal for the racing teams that use Vipers, I don't see why it would for a Corvette.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well maybe not. Do it, and come back and tell us how much it costs. Should be very interesting. imo, every form of racing is expensive, even go-karts. but I could be wrong.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Dr Steve
Intermediate

Read this post, It is my SON! He is a good kid, does well in school, and a true car nut, even at 14 yrs of age. I was hooked at 8 yrs of age when my neighbor bought a new '63 Stingray vert, and let me sit in it anytime I wanted. I held the steering wheel...I was Parnelli Jones...40 yrs later I have my Vette. Most of the fun is the fantasy, I never race,et.al, but I see my son in me at his age, and it feels good. I hope all of you are as lucky as me, to share a dream with your kids, and make it come true. What a great car. Life is good.

P.S. If he drifts my car, he will be executed.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:52 PM
ruffneckxx
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dr Steve

Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
OK, given, but you see lots of Vipers drifting....I too am led to think...why NOT a 'Vette? You've GOT to admit that a ZR1 replica out there drifting would be WAY cool, right?

Last edited by C6NRED; 05-03-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Read this post, It is my SON! He is a good kid, does well in school, and a true car nut, even at 14 yrs of age. I was hooked at 8 yrs of age when my neighbor bought a new '63 Stingray vert, and let me sit in it anytime I wanted. I held the steering wheel...I was Parnelli Jones...40 yrs later I have my Vette. Most of the fun is the fantasy, I never race,et.al, but I see my son in me at his age, and it feels good. I hope all of you are as lucky as me, to share a dream with your kids, and make it come true. What a great car. Life is good.

You are lucky, my 13 year old could care less about my corvettes. When I was his age, I would of given anything if my dad had a vette. My boy would rather watch wwe wrestling (that I hate) than go for a ride in my Z06................

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes and drifting

Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

You need to start in a smaller car for drifting, just like racers do. After you have built up experience you could be lucky and pick up sponsors and so forth.

Part of the fun of racing is getting that old car and setting it up.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Richard John
Advanced

Default Drifting a Vette

Perhaps by the time you inherit your fathers Corvette you'll have drifited into maturity and will have second thoughts.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
NEV3R L8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang on I'll go see how good of a drifter it is...

I've goofed off in parking lots before and it wouldn't be a bad drift car. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular.

Quick Reply: Corvettes and drifting