C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a time-out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time for a time-out.

Two different drivers honked their horns at me today within a 10 minute time period.

At the time my ego just assumed they were irritated that I changed lanes too fast and too close in front of them, that they were just not accustomed to aggressive driving and they would get over it.

A few hours later after thinking it over, I've changed my view and now feel my driving behavior was not appropriate for city freeways.

I'm always confident about my own driving, however sometimes I forget that others may make a mistake and pull in front of me, or run into a third party in reaction to me.

I'm thinking that I should take a time-out for a day or two; maybe investigate one of the local tracks since I seem to have the need for that kind of driving.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Trying to see things from someone else's perspective is always a good thing. While I wouldn't think you'd need a time-out, revising your street driving protocol may be in order. Driving on a track (emphasis on a road course) I believe to be beneficial as well...both to improve one's driving abilities and to relieve one's 'need for speed.' Go for it!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

On the other hand, maybe you were just having a "senior moment."

They can happen, no matter what your actual chronological age is.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 AM
MOUNTINBEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

after reading the recent posts of vette crashes I have also given my driving a reality check and am being mindfull of my actions behind the wheel of my Vette...I certaintly dont want to be cause for someone or myself wrecking.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 AM
X-SPAN
Pro

"the highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive..." Bruce Springsteen

Last edited by X-SPAN; 05-08-2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I, for one, appreciate your candor. I believe you've reached the correct conclusion. It's an interesting phenomenom that "aggressive" driving (other terms for it are far less charitable) with a Corvette affects us all. Rather than thinking, "that guy is a jerk", many people think "Corvette drivers are jerks", and broad brush us as a collective. (This is not directed at the OP).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

PA has something going on now called smooth operator where the police are looking for aggressive driving. The warning they a playing on the radio pretty much describes how you were driving.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Hard spanking and go to your room
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I've been driving a LOOOOOONG time. And in the course of my lifetime I have lived in many places and driven in all kinds of vehicles in all kinds of weather and encountered all kinds of drivers. Also, I have driven on many race tracks both drags (10 yrs) and road courses. Like everyone else, I consider myself a excellent driver. The key as far as I am concerned is driving defensively. Aggressive driving, in todays traffic is inviting a accident. I have NO idea what driving class is teaching kids today but "keep right except to pass" is NOT one of the teachings. On every road today, Drivers think it's their duty to stay in the left lane and do the "speed limit". Weaving in and out is dangerous. Thanks for letting me RANT about this. ONE of my pet peeves. Stay safe out there and as you go by.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by foremaw
I, for one, appreciate your candor. I believe you've reached the correct conclusion. It's an interesting phenomenom that "aggressive" driving (other terms for it are far less charitable) with a Corvette affects us all. Rather than thinking, "that guy is a jerk", many people think "Corvette drivers are jerks", and broad brush us as a collective. (This is not directed at the OP).
and well said.

Some know this one, but there's a ditty said about pilots, and it can be applied to driving on land.

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots."
Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

I think you need to reach down, grab a hold of them, get back in the seat and go for it !!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Two different drivers honked their horns at me today within a 10 minute time period.

At the time my ego just assumed they were irritated that I changed lanes too fast and too close in front of them, that they were just not accustomed to aggressive driving and they would get over it.

A few hours later after thinking it over, I've changed my view and now feel my driving behavior was not appropriate for city freeways.

I'm always confident about my own driving, however sometimes I forget that others may make a mistake and pull in front of me, or run into a third party in reaction to me.

I'm thinking that I should take a time-out for a day or two; maybe investigate one of the local tracks since I seem to have the need for that kind of driving.

Good for you. I think a lot more of use should think more about our driving and what we can do to improve it.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I've been driving a LOOOOOONG time. And in the course of my lifetime I have lived in many places and driven in all kinds of vehicles in all kinds of weather and encountered all kinds of drivers. Also, I have driven on many race tracks both drags (10 yrs) and road courses. Like everyone else, I consider myself a excellent driver. The key as far as I am concerned is driving defensively. Aggressive driving, in todays traffic is inviting a accident. I have NO idea what driving class is teaching kids today but "keep right except to pass" is NOT one of the teachings. On every road today, Drivers think it's their duty to stay in the left lane and do the "speed limit". Weaving in and out is dangerous. Thanks for letting me RANT about this. ONE of my pet peeves. Stay safe out there and as you go by.

btw: imo, overly aggressive driving is so dangerous in todays world, (folks don't even pull over for emergency vehicles) not because of your ability to handle the situiation but rather the lack of ability of others. you never know when some 'numbnut' will either try to keep up (and end up smashing up themself or others) or will pull right out in front of you.

imo, if you're gonna go faster than the 'flow' you should take it to the track. although, i admit, i will (at times), go quicker than the 'flow' so i can get into the 'empty pocket' between the 'packs'.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

If you know you are being a bit too aggressive in lane changing, speed, or other areas that is great that you recogonize the need to change. Now it is simple as that, change your aggressive driving habits. Going to the local track is a great time, but I always felt just as aggressive if not more leaving the track. Best bet, CHANGE and THINK.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
steve m baker
Racer

I've had many cars of all makes drive "aggressively" around me. Any type of driving, from not using turn signals to tailgating,that does not abide by the laws is just as dangerous and discurtious. But, why is it that when a corvette owner happens to do one of these things they are judged as being arrogant or dangerous.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
SpeedRacerGirl
Le Mans Master

Location: Hudson Valley Region, NY The "sonoma/napa" of the Northeast~~~~~ Are we there yet?
St. Jude Donor '08

While its always good to keep oneself in check .. remember its not your responsibility to cower to the jealous haters in society either.

I cannot tell you HOW MANY TIMES I will be in my Daily Driver (2006 Red Saab 9-3 Aero with tints) I look like a punk kid in the car... but anyways.. Ill be in the daily driver and people let me change lanes, they let me makes turns out of a side street or lot, they are actually courteous to me.. BUT when Im in the vette Its like everyone is out to be DICK.. they wont let me out, they cut me off, etc.. I could literally be driving Miss Daisy in the vette but still... I get abuse.

People like THAT are the ones who cause accidents.. driving is about skill and conditions.. not personal attitude or feelings
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots."
That is the first thing that we were taught in flight school

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a time-out.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucraz-E
Hard spanking and go to your room
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foremaw
I agree. Unfortunately "these" people are also probably the ones "more" likely to "key" a new Corvette in a parking lot also.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
That is the first thing that we were taught in flight school
And the second thing was the correct order of priorities:

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

C6 content now. I drive several vehicles, but always notice people acting more aggressively around me when I drive the Vette. And my driving style is pretty constant in all vehicles, i.e. Defensive.

Quick Reply: Time for a time-out.