C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoJack system check for $79.00.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
wb6mfw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoJack system check for $79.00.

I received a letter from LoJack yesterday offering to check my system out for $79.00. This is a two year offering. I was wondering if this is a necessary service. I only have 3000 miles on the speedometer and have owned the car for 2 years. I thought LoJack's offer was a life time deal. Thanks for the information you can give me.
wb6mfw
Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I had one installed when I purchased my 2006 and my understanding is you need to do the 2 year maintenance check to maintain your warranty. Check the paperwork you got with your Lo Jack.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm sorry to say, but LoJack is a waist of money. It only works if the law enforcement agency has the system in their cars. (only 10% have it) Also the LEO must be in the same area as your stolen car( 1/4 mile) to pick up the signal. My agency has had it for 3 years. only 12 patrol cars have it, out of 275. In the last 3 years, we have found only ONE stolen vehicle, a motorcycle. Besides, once a car is stolen, most of the time...it's not worth getting it back. Stolen cars are very abused, stripped, or just plain out "dogged'. I hate to pass this on. But LoJack does not tell you this when they sell you their services.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LoJack unit has its own battery that has to be replaced every few years. I think the original battery should last more than two years, although LoJack does recommend an inspection every two years.

LoJack has some weaknesses, but I think it's the best available if you want that kind of protection.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
I'm sorry to say, but LoJack is a waist of money. It only works if the law enforcement agency has the system in their cars. (only 10% have it) Also the LEO must be in the same area as your stolen car( 1/4 mile) to pick up the signal. My agency has had it for 3 years. only 12 patrol cars have it, out of 275. In the last 3 years, we have found only ONE stolen vehicle, a motorcycle. Besides, once a car is stolen, most of the time...it's not worth getting it back. Stolen cars are very abused, stripped, or just plain out "dogged'. I hate to pass this on. But LoJack does not tell you this when they sell you their services.

I used LoJack in my other car for a couple years, a waste of money. My local LEO don't even support it. All hype, no action.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Good info - thank you much!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 PM
thetopdog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason to get a lojack is if your insurance company will give you a big discount. Mine does so I got one
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. LAPD only has a few cars with it and LASD, we don't have it at all.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it really depends how the system was set up. I thought LoJack was installed to a constant power source, so the only time a backup battery would be needed is if the battery was disconnected (and at that point I don't know if I would want the car back).

If it is connected to a constant power source, I would save the $79. If it is not connected to a constant power source, I would probably wait for the 4 year mark before having the battery replaced.

Another option is Onstar if you have it in the car already. You could be putting the $79 towards the Onstar subscription and have stolen tracking in addition to things like remote lock/unlocking, diagnostics, and air bag deployment/accident notification...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

If the car is in a closed room, such as a garage or warehouse the Lo jack will not activate.

I investigate auto insurance claims and the On Star can do the same thing. The thieves are remarkable in their ability to disable the various systems.

Some insurance companies offer replacement coverage for cars, I don't know what it costs but that could be a good solution.

Corvette theft is not a major problem, the most popular cars to steal are the more common passenger cars and trucks.

Get notified of new replies

To LoJack system check for $79.00.

Quick Reply: LoJack system check for $79.00.