C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to protect private buyer/Seller

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Mountie43488
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Best way to protect private buyer/Seller

Just wanted your feedback on protecting the buyer and seller that are private parties on a sale of C6. Unlike ebay with some limited fraud protection, if one agrees to terms off this site what is the best way to protect both parties.

For example, I'm a buyer looking at C6 on the east coast while I live in the Pacific Northwest. The seller has title in hand, states no leins and clean carfax. Obvioulsy as the seller you do not release the car until funds clear but if the buyer is not able to fly out to the other side of country and the seller holds the title until funds clear, then the buyer is in a precarious position of trusting the seller to release and ship the car once funds clear. What are the best methods for this type of transaction and method of payment?? Thank-you.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Check this out
https://escrow.com/index.asp
Old 07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Only buy cars in person. Period. I would only make an exception for a recognized dealer with an IMPECCABLE reputation. And even then...

Corvettes are not rare. There is no reason, imo, to even be considering cars that are states away, unless you live someplace like North Dakota or something. If you do decide to buy states away, that means plane tickets, and maybe more than one.

There is no other safe way. No matter what anyone tells you.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This was the same hard question I asked a few months ago. (You can search this forum) I received the best advice which was "this is a good way to get a haircut, would'nt do it" Well, I paused long enough to find out the seller in New York turned into GIANT FLAKE. Suddenly the price went up. Anyway, it took a little longer to get the 05 I wanted only a few states away. It probably also is a nicer example than the car in NY. I was able to fly there on Friday pm and take care of business face to face and head home on Saturday.
Also, make sure you check into shipping. From East Coast to Calif. it was well over $2000 For enclosed shipping.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You live in Seattle --- there are so many corvettes for sale on the WEST coast----I would never consider one in NY....not even for a second. There are ways to protect your funds, but you are still agreeing to buy a car (and a very expensive one at that!!) that you've never seen. You can fly to California to look at a car three times for what one trip to NY is going to cost you........please reconsider.
Also, remember that WA state just passed a law that you cannot register a car here unless it complies with CA emission standards!!!

Last edited by C6NRED; 07-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not look for a C6 that is closer to you. This way you can see it, test drive it, etc. That is a better way to go.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
DennyBlueC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a vacation to the L.A. area, Big Corvette swap meet at the Pomona fairgrounds few times a year. With so many cars for sale in this area, I’m sure you could find what you want in a couple days. Fly in, rent a car & drive your new purchase home.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Tell you what, you come to Sacramento looking and I will pick you up at the airport in my car and drive you to look.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
bluemax542
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I found mine on SF bay area Craigslist. Great buy and became friends with the seller. I now have pink slip in hand, it took days to arrange. Buy local, but if you must, come to the bay area. Look up craigslist.

Max
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Never buy sight unseen!

I bought my 05 in SC. I had it checked out by the Chevy dealer there (cost about $100).
Flew down, the owner met me at the airport. I inspected the car right there. It was as nice as he had described. We drove to his bank which was a branch of the bank I used.
I transfered the money from my account to his and he signed the title over to me. I picked up the paperwork and other documents from his house and drove 400 miles home.
It was a long day but definitely worth the effort.
The only way to buy sight unseen is from a VERY reputable dealer (like the forum dealers).

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to protect private buyer/Seller

Quick Reply: Best way to protect private buyer/Seller