C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Key FOB lost and what to do with the parking attendant

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default C6 Key FOB lost and what to do with the parking attendant

Two questions...

So you park your C6 - god forbid - with an attendant. Or you get service with a non-corvette garage. What do you do with the key FOB?

Also, what good is onstar opening my door if the FOB isnt in there?

I think I will take the battery out of the second FOB, and hide the disabled FOB somewhere in the car. Then if I lose my FOB at least I can start the car with the disabled FOB in the glove compartment.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You realize the attendant can still drive & park the car without the fob, right? Just tell the attendant how to turn off the engine and don't give the attendant the fob until you get ready to leave.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm interested in this solution as well
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if you give the car to a valet, you also give them the FOB. When you return, they give you the car and FOB back.

If you are talking about losing the FOB yourself, there are two fobs and they can be replaced (but will need to be programmed).

If you lock all the fobs in the car, there is the key to open the rear (or a key can be cut by a dealer).

Onstar can unlock the car if you are a current subscriber, but they cannot start the car.

I think I coverd all the bases, no?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Wheelboyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
So you park your C6 - god forbid - with an attendant. Or you get service with a non-corvette garage. What do you do with the key FOB?
You leave it with 'em. No different than a key. If you take it with you, once they shut the car off, they can't re-start it. Did I miss something here?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Problem is, some valets like to leave the keys (fob) in the car so they don't lose it. What to do then?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

From a post in march:
"On extra fobs: If I don't have the key to my Chevy Blazer, I can look under the bumper for my extra key in the magnetic box, then I get in and start the car and drive home. But with the C6, if I am without fob, a key under the bumper or in my wallet will get me IN but not allow me to drive home. Frankly I don't care about getting in unless I can also drive it home. So my reason for wanting an extra fob is to de-activate it by opening it and removing its battery and then hide the whole mess somewhere inside the car. Put an extra key in my wallet or somewhere under the car, so that I can misplace the fob and still get into the car AND drive it home. I have only used the extra key on the blazer two times, but each one of those times would have been a MAJOR problem without the spare key. I figure that the money spent for an extra fob is well spent. What if you misplace the fob when on a trip 1000 miles from home??? BIG HUGE problem.....Does this make sense?"

Last edited by cclive; 06-10-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
BigSlick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
From a post in march:
"On extra fobs: If I don't have the key to my Chevy Blazer, I can look under the bumper for my extra key in the magnetic box, then I get in and start the car and drive home. But with the C6, if I am without fob, a key under the bumper or in my wallet will get me IN but not allow me to drive home. Frankly I don't care about getting in unless I can also drive it home. So my reason for wanting an extra fob is to de-activate it by opening it and removing its battery and then hide the whole mess somewhere inside the car. Put an extra key in my wallet or somewhere under the car, so that I can misplace the fob and still get into the car AND drive it home. I have only used the extra key on the blazer two times, but each one of those times would have been a MAJOR problem without the spare key. I figure that the money spent for an extra fob is well spent. What if you misplace the fob when on a trip 1000 miles from home??? Big huge problem.....Does this make sense?"
Good point...thx
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT - and said

Originally Posted by cclive
From a post in march:
"On extra fobs: If I don't have the key to my Chevy Blazer, I can look under the bumper for my extra key in the magnetic box, then I get in and start the car and drive home. But with the C6, if I am without fob, a key under the bumper or in my wallet will get me IN but not allow me to drive home. Frankly I don't care about getting in unless I can also drive it home. So my reason for wanting an extra fob is to de-activate it by opening it and removing its battery and then hide the whole mess somewhere inside the car. Put an extra key in my wallet or somewhere under the car, so that I can misplace the fob and still get into the car AND drive it home. I have only used the extra key on the blazer two times, but each one of those times would have been a MAJOR problem without the spare key. I figure that the money spent for an extra fob is well spent. What if you misplace the fob when on a trip 1000 miles from home??? Big huge problem.....Does this make sense?"
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
beltfed21
Racer

Best solution...... Don't go to a place that has valet parking (it's probably over rated anyway). No one drives the car but me or my wife, period!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 PM
drlndrve
Advanced

Does a fob that has a battery that is starting to go give you any kind of warning?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beltfed21
Best solution...... Don't go to a place that has valet parking (it's probably over rated anyway). No one drives the car but me or my wife, period!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM
pictureman
Burning Brakes

Did I say I try not to go to places that valet either but the few times I did I just told them " No that's okay, I'll take care of it, don't want to have any problems I'll just put it there.

I will have a spot picked out or just park it against the curb area of the business. Keep in mind I will tip them and do menition that to them while getting out of the car. So all is good
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM
pictureman
Burning Brakes

Two questions...

I think I will take the battery out of the second FOB, and hide the disabled FOB somewhere in the car. Then if I lose my FOB at least I can start the car with the disabled FOB in the glove compartment.

Any thoughts on this?

Does taking the battery out of the fob affect anything or reset the fob. Keep in mind the fob will not have the battery in for long periods of time. (Months and Months)
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

You got that right!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by pictureman
Does taking the battery out of the fob affect anything or reset the fob. Keep in mind the fob will not have the battery in for long periods of time. (Months and Months)
Not a problem....there's nothing programmable in the FOB. When you program one to the car, all that is happening is that you are telling the car to accept the unique digital signature of that particular FOB.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
wormman1
Advanced

i agree with post #2....u can park valet, keep your fob and let the attendent store the vehicle......if the attendent screws up parking your vehicle and needs to restart the vehicle then he is not doing his job properly, and obviously you would want to know about it anyway......by keeping your fob, no one can take your vehicle (doors will lock when he clears the vehicle) and you don't have to worry about your fob getting lost.....if you are too overly concerned about your fob or vette, then like the others say dont park valet.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Key FOB lost and what to do with the parking attendant

Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Two questions...

Any thoughts on this?
I did that 31/2 years ago with my 05. I keep the key on my ring in case I ever have to use it. I also have the battery out and a new battery with it.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by pictureman
No!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

In addition I have the spare fob without a battery hidden in the car and a spare key hidden under the car. The spare battery is in the warranty book. I keep one key in my wallet. I think I have it all covered.

Quick Reply: C6 Key FOB lost and what to do with the parking attendant