C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front headlight protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Default front headlight protection

for those of us too poor to afford a clear bra solution, any way to protect the front headlight lens? can you wax them to help? other solutions?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

MAMOTORS has a kit for just the headlights for around $40;however some reports say the clear bra type covering causes fractures and cracking of the lenses. Caveat emptor!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

also try griot's garage
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Not Paid 4
Instructor

Location: You must be young and stupid before you become old and wise... Canton Georgia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont believe it, have had my head lights covered for over a year and no problems...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Paid 4
Dont believe it, have had my head lights covered for over a year and no problems...
Well, its more a function of how often and how long you use the lights. Its the heat being trapped by the film that apparently causes problems. If you rairly use your lights the film should be OK.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear bra film wil not hurt your headlgihts. I have been isntalling PPF for years and have never seen any that had problems due to heat buildup. If you dont get it you will for sure be replacing a light someday due to rock chips.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking about getting them as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It couldn't hurt but is it really necessary...are cracked headlights that prevalent a problem? I don't think so.

I use PVC tape on certain areas of the car on the track but I've never covered the headlights. I've never used anything to cover my car in normal street driving. After 3 years I've never had a problem with the headlights.

Could it happen...sure. I just don't think there's a high enough incidence of cracked headlights to worry about covering them.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

The film for just the headlights is not that expensive... and really not that hard to put on. I can get the headlight film precut for about $65 if you want to try and install yourself. Its a wet application just like tint and the curves of the C6 lights are not that hard to work down. Its pretty good insurance really. Not sure what the headlight will cost is for a C6 but other cars can be 1500 or so.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
The film for just the headlights is not that expensive... and really not that hard to put on. I can get the headlight film precut for about $65 if you want to try and install yourself. Its a wet application just like tint and the curves of the C6 lights are not that hard to work down. Its pretty good insurance really. Not sure what the headlight will cost is for a C6 but other cars can be 1500 or so.
They cost exactly $970.62 each.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Pozzo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the set from Mid America. They are very thick; 40 mil, I think. After I got them I wrote the following to MAM:

"I ordered a set of the vinyl healight protectors for my 2005 Corvette. They are very thick. I have read that if they are too thick they trap heat inside the headlight and cause damage to the plexiglass headlight cover. There was even a warning that came with the product that stated that they were not to be used with headlights of over 60 watts.

I have read of instances where the plexiglass headlight cover has shattered due to excessive heat trapped by the thick vinyl protectors.

From a GM bulletin: "Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp."

Is this product safe to leave on my headlights or do they pose a risk of damaging the headlights? Should a much thinner product be used?"

Of course they responded that there is no problem.

I've had them on for a couple of years now and haven't had a problem. I haven't used my high beams for any extended period but the wattage output of the low and high beams causes a great deal of heat. I don't know what would happen if I had the high beams on for any length of time.

Thinner covers are available. I think XPEL makes a thinner headlight cover that might be a better choice than the thick MAM covers.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

thanks for the input! I will look into the clear cover solution.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pozzo
I bought the set from Mid America. They are very thick; 40 mil, I think. After I got them I wrote the following to MAM:

"I ordered a set of the vinyl healight protectors for my 2005 Corvette. They are very thick. I have read that if they are too thick they trap heat inside the headlight and cause damage to the plexiglass headlight cover. There was even a warning that came with the product that stated that they were not to be used with headlights of over 60 watts.

I have read of instances where the plexiglass headlight cover has shattered due to excessive heat trapped by the thick vinyl protectors.

From a GM bulletin: "Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp."

Is this product safe to leave on my headlights or do they pose a risk of damaging the headlights? Should a much thinner product be used?"

Of course they responded that there is no problem.

I've had them on for a couple of years now and haven't had a problem. I haven't used my high beams for any extended period but the wattage output of the low and high beams causes a great deal of heat. I don't know what would happen if I had the high beams on for any length of time.

Thinner covers are available. I think XPEL makes a thinner headlight cover that might be a better choice than the thick MAM covers.
Wow 40 mil is very thick. The LightGard film I use is 8 mil. I guess I could see a difference there. I use a tinted 17 mil film on some cars for headlights and tail lights. That is the thickest I have seen though.

Get notified of new replies

To front headlight protection

Quick Reply: front headlight protection