C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM
flby55
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Thanks Dad
Now that is funny.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by flby55
Now that is funny.
It IS funny but I doubt patton will ever see it. This thread is 6 years old and he hasn't been on here in 5.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothieusa
Is a dead / low battery typical after just two weeks of car not running? Sure would hate to arrive at airport after 3 week trip to find Corvette won't start.
Yes; depending on the battery and its condition. Get a Battery Tender, and use it regularly. My "Z" may sit that long, but it is always on the Tender. No problems.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM
cincykid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWI, once i did my little jump trick to get the doors unlocked to get to everything and replaced the battery, the first place i went was to a dealer for a key for the back. I had to call 3 different dealers to see if they had it. Also, they had to cut it there and it took 3 different cuts to make it work. Make sure you check it before you pull away from the lot.

Also, regarding the trick I used for just getting the doors unlocked real quick, I have had probably 10 people call in the past few years to have me walk them through it on the phone while they did it and they all worked. As of today I still have had zero electrical issues with mine. I cant speak for any of the others though as once they screamed "it worked" and said thanks, I havent really heard from them again.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM
64Ragtop
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a Deltran Battery Tender. Pretty cheap insurance.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Mluzzy1
Racer

Originally Posted by cincykid
FWI, once i did my little jump trick to get the doors unlocked to get to everything and replaced the battery, the first place i went was to a dealer for a key for the back. I had to call 3 different dealers to see if they had it. Also, they had to cut it there and it took 3 different cuts to make it work. Make sure you check it before you pull away from the lot.

Also, regarding the trick I used for just getting the doors unlocked real quick, I have had probably 10 people call in the past few years to have me walk them through it on the phone while they did it and they all worked. As of today I still have had zero electrical issues with mine. I cant speak for any of the others though as once they screamed "it worked" and said thanks, I havent really heard from them again.
So When I first got my 06 I noticed I had no emergency trunk key. Two trips to the dealer who promised to get one in and well , you know the rest of the story. Few weeks ago I went to start it as it's had no road time this winter due to ice and salt and snow - ....dead. I call the dealer and this time they have the blank and cut it. Get home and it doesn't work. Back to the dealer again - he puts the cut key back in and tells me it took more off this time so hopefully it will work(not comforting). It Doesn't. He gave me the key code to bring to a locksmith in case the key didn't work. Off to the best locksmith in all of NJ. He cuts a key - looks much more defined then the dealer key and I am hopeful. Nope , still not working.(even with WD40 shot in).

I try the the radiator fan plug trick with my jump start pack - nada. Perhaps it will work with a regular car battery charger? Going to try that next .....

Note to self......put the car on a tender next winter. Ugh!!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now that you're in and things are back to normal, perhaps you might consider hooking out a battery tender when yo're going to leave the car for two weeks.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Mluzzy1
Racer

Originally Posted by jwf
Ok, now that you're in and things are back to normal, perhaps you might consider hooking out a battery tender when yo're going to leave the car for two weeks.
you obviously did NOT read my post.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Mluzzy1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mluzzy1
So When I first got my 06 I noticed I had no emergency trunk key. Two trips to the dealer who promised to get one in and well , you know the rest of the story. Few weeks ago I went to start it as it's had no road time this winter due to ice and salt and snow - ....dead. I call the dealer and this time they have the blank and cut it. Get home and it doesn't work. Back to the dealer again - he puts the cut key back in and tells me it took more off this time so hopefully it will work(not comforting). It Doesn't. He gave me the key code to bring to a locksmith in case the key didn't work. Off to the best locksmith in all of NJ. He cuts a key - looks much more defined then the dealer key and I am hopeful. Nope , still not working.(even with WD40 shot in).

I try the the radiator fan plug trick with my jump start pack - nada. Perhaps it will work with a regular car battery charger? Going to try that next .....

Note to self......put the car on a tender next winter. Ugh!!
So to update. I finally got my key to turn in the trunk(had to put vice grips on it). Only to find that it didn't work. It would continually spin with no release of the trunk lid. So I revisited the starter option and fan plug with both a brand new charger and jumper cables. The battery was so discharged that the battery charger read no volts and would just shut off.

I remembered reading someone here had gone through the right tail light and after prying off the two rivets that hold the lock assembly to the rear bumper was able to open the lock assembly and pull the cable. It took about a minute and I was in! If nothing else works , this is a pretty painless way to get in.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 350 Posts

If you used vice grips to turn the key and it still doesn't open, you probably just spun the lock. You should have a good locksmith look at it once you get it open.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by skrupski
Had a battery issue with my 07 vert twice in the past 2 weeks. Dealer insists that the car needs to be in reverse, and printed a page for me from the owners manual that states to park in reverse. Not sure that has anything to do wiith my issue. Both times I had the problem I was working around the car, cleaning and doing some mods, with the Fob in my pocket. The claim that that energizes all the on board systems and kills the battery within hours????
Run as fast as you can from that dealer!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:38 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I had battery die after about a week of not using on C6.
I have since made sure I keep Fob's well away from the
car when the car is parked. Storing the FOB close to the car causes lock/unlock constantly,
I haven't had a problem with C6 or C7 since doing that.
Larry

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start