C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do a burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
marcbennett6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found two recent post from the Guy/Boy who stated this thread:

1) Hi guys, I got my C6 today and I LOVE it! It's not a Z06 so I'm looking for what are some mods that I can do to add some easy performance to the car (handling, power, etc..). The car does not have the Z51 handling kit on it (I bought it used at a great deal so I overlooked some aspects).

2) I have a '06 corvette (non z06, non z51) and I'm looking to put new tires on.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I always thought the stock C6 hooked-up too well but you can do a burnout (albeit with a little effort). I drive a stick shift...listen to the automatic guys. Be safe.

Originally Posted by patton
god help us
I tend to agree but consider...there's a first time for everyone.

Originally Posted by dvilin
Your questions suggest you better get a bit more experience driving your Vette before you leap into launching it without knowing exactly how and what to expect.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by MID LYPH
It's nice when someone actually answers the OP's question. This is how it should be on a forum guys. The OP did not ask "Are these expensive tires, what is your opinion of my doing a burnout in my car, etc...".
When posting a simple (or complex) question it is good form to answer that question in your reply, even if you feel you must give your two cents worth and social commentary as well. ( hey, did I just ignore my own suggestion and put my foot in my mouth? )
I think so. If people can't express an opinion or a little "social commentary" the forum is going to be a pretty dull place.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
Bring your check book and a map to the nearest tire outlet.At 400 bucks a pop PER TIRE,that's the only way to do a BURNOUT!!
Remember that there is a back log on GY RFTs right now which means your Vette may be parked if you do the burn out wrong or wear them down.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

It's nice when someone actually answers the OP's question. This is how it should be on a forum guys. The OP did not ask "Are these expensive tires, what is your opinion of my doing a burnout in my car, etc...".
When posting a simple (or complex) question it is good form to answer that question in your reply, even if you feel you must give your two cents worth and social commentary as well. ( hey, did I just ignore my own suggestion and put my foot in my mouth? )
you did, but in a very nice way
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyinbyu
I'm almost 35, (20 shopping days left, I'm easy to buy for) and I still wouldn't roast the tires off even if money was no object.

It made me sick to see the YouTube clip of the silver Z06 that blew the tire and busted the right rear quarter after lighting the tires up in a burnout contest another member posted.

~Brian
was pretty cool in person last year. Of course thats a fine example of why you don't run belted tires down to the rim and blow em out. For situations such as that corded race tires are much better. Doug from ECS blew some old road race tires off the rim with his vert just before Will Cooksey, the difference is doug drove out of the box and I got to carry the jack and other rims/tires over and swap them in the grass.

for all you non-burnout guys, I'm guessing you do the speed limit all the time as well right?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

jeez...half the people in here sound like tree hugging Prius drivers.....
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Try reving it up in Neutral and then slam it into gear.

Smokes the tires like mad.

But seriously, As a teenager my buddy tried that in his Dad's car. It worked but also popped the motor mounts and dented the hood from underneath. Engine twisted when he slammed it into drive. Who knows what happened inside the Tranny
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 PM
MID LYPH
Instructor

I think so. If people can't express an opinion or a little "social commentary" the forum is going to be a pretty dull place. [/QUOTE]

I think you missed my point. If you reread what I wrote you will see that I said you should answer th OP's question as well as any commentary. I agree completely that we are free to comment about anything but somewhere amongst the ranting it is nice to give an answer to the original question, don't you think?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey we all do a burn from time to time but I will never forget all the Mustangs and Dodges from the late 60s/ early 70s doing massive burns and breaking **** loose. Taught me a lesson to be careful if I care about the car.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by megamx
How do I do a good burnout with my c6 auto?

I can do it somewhat. I put my foot on the brake and hit the gas but I'm always way to gentle on it because I'm worried I might cause damage.

So a few questions:
1) what's the proper procedure?
2) can something go wrong if i put my foot on the brake too hard?
3) can something go wrong if i add gas too fast?

Thanks!
If you have to ask, then don't even think about attempting it.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 AM
P3C
Racer

Just answer the OP's question, he can go to church if he wants to be preached to.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Art Wake
8th Gear

here's how
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-M4yEzBcRY
Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 AM
va2ac
Instructor

Push in the clutch. shift into second then SIDE STEP....OH.. you must have an automatic..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Doing69
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1) find a deserted road or parking lot
2) click off TC
3) with car in gear, mash gas petal
4) enjoy the ride

Remember though, these cars are powerful and can get out of control.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DpnOqNx3FRE

Interesting commentary here. Maybe I'm misreading the tone of some of the anti-burnout posts, but these are performance cars and not china dolls. While I am not a big fan of the brake assisted burnout, sometimes knowing your car can do a burnout is just not enough.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAÇADE-C6

I couldn’t say it any better!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 AM
HRD2BME
Racer

Originally Posted by setxws6
If you must do burnouts, and want to do them properly without harm to the car (other than the tires), then you need to really look at getting a line lock.

Line locks will hold the front brakes while letting you take your foot off the brake pedal, which will release your rear brakes. Understand?

Hold the brake down, flip the line lock switch, release the brake pedal. Now only the front brakes will be fully engaged and the rears will not. Proceed to do burnout, when done you can disengage the switch and roll out of burnout or just stop burning out and disengage the switch. Next proceed to drive on like nothing ever happened.....
flip the line lock switch?????
Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 AM
megamx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
Is this your first car . This sounds like a question a 10 year old would ask.
I got new tires coming and I'm usually not abusive with my cars so that's why I've never done a burn-out in an automatic. Manual yes.

And no i'm not a 10 year old but thanks for coming out. And it's my 6th car, 3 of which I still have but by far the fastest and for the most part a impulse buy because I drove by and saw a unbelievable price tag on it.

I got to be honest, there are a few people on here that are helpful but considerably more that are here to poke fun at what I consider a legitimate question. I'm going to assume that the majority of you guys have never done a burn-out without slicks since you talk so highly of it. I asked a simple question so I can have some extra fun with my car before I retire these tires and instead I get "god help us" and I'm seriously starting to believe that some of you need help. If you can't answer a simple question to somebody who just bought a corvette and is trying to do a burnout then wtf are you doing on this forum and wtf are you driving a corvette? I guess I'll go drive the car at the speed limit, never screech the tires like most of you on here lead me to believe you do.

Last edited by megamx; 07-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to do a burnout?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
onehdeagle
Racer

Originally Posted by megamx
I got new tires coming and I'm usually not abusive with my cars so that's why I've never done a burn-out in an automatic. Manual yes.

And no i'm not a 10 year old but thanks for coming out. And it's my 6th car, 3 of which I still have but by far the fastest and for the most part a impulse buy because I drove by and saw a unbelievable price tag on it.

I got to be honest, there are a few people on here that are helpful but considerably more that are here to poke fun at what I consider a legitimate question. I'm going to assume that the majority of you guys have never done a burn-out without slicks since you talk so highly of it. I asked a simple question so I can have some extra fun with my car before I retire these tires and instead I get "god help us" and I'm seriously starting to believe that some of you need help. If you can't answer a simple question to somebody who just bought a corvette and is trying to do a burnout then wtf are you doing on this forum and wtf are you driving a corvette? I guess I'll go drive the car at the speed limit, never screech the tires like most of you on here lead me to believe you do.
Get it going backwards about 20 MPH, throw it in first, petal to the metal, and you will be smokin.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like this maybe
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....subj=643745827
Old 07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
kwiktsi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vet
T
These cars are wonderful pieces of precision machinery, please treat them like such.

Hmm, a chevy product with an LS2 and T56- "precision machinery" has never once crossed my mind while driving it lol. Aside from the Vette-tax on specific parts, the Vette uses a dime-a-dozen drivetrain and is extremely crude overall- far from precision machinery . My *1999* 911 feels and sounds much more "precision" than my 05 Vette does. It is an American sports/muscle car, not a swiss watch we're talking about.

Hey- lets buy a 400+hp, RWD, decent handling performance car so we can cruise to starbucks at 5 miles below the posted limit and show off our custom painted hood liners . This board never ceases to make me

Quick Reply: How to do a burnout?