C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever have to change the fuel filter in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talon90
I would suspect it is because they don't need to be changed all that often. Fuel delivery systems have come a long way. Fuel in general has come a long way towards limiting the types of contaminants that may be introduced to the fuel system. Here is the image from the service manual:

(1) Fuel Fill Hose
(2) Left Fuel Tank Grade Vent Valve
(3) Fuel Feed Pipe to Engine
(4) 5/16 Inch Auxiliary Fuel Feed Pipe
(5) 3/8 Inch Auxiliary Fuel Return Pipe
(6) Right Fuel Tank Grade Vent Valve
(7) Fill Limiter Vent Valve (FLVV)
(8) Secondary Fuel Pressure Regulator
(9) Siphon Jet Pump
(10) Convoluted Crossover Hose
(11) Anti-siphon Hole
(12) Fuel Sender Reservoir
(13) Turbine Fuel Pump
(14) Venturi Pump
(15) Primary Fuel Pressure Regulator
(16) Reverse Flow Check Valve
(17) Fuel Filter

Here is the note on changing the fuel filter:
talon90 Nice post!
The following users liked this post:
81VETTOM (07-16-2021)
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Is it really necessary to remove one or both of the tanks to change the filter? Looks like a body panel and then go to the top of one of the tanks...based on the illustration.

You can't gain access to the tank by removing a body panel. Even if you could, you can't gain access to the top of the tank to remove the pump and filter assembly as it sits well recessed in the cavity that separates the drivers seat from the rear compartment. You need to drop the rear suspension cradle and then lower the tank to get at it.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't gain access to the tank by removing a body panel. Even if you could, you can't gain access to the top of the tank to remove the pump and filter assembly as it sits well recessed in the cavity that separates the drivers seat from the rear compartment. You need to drop the rear suspension cradle and then lower the tank to get at it.
Wow..lots of work just to get at a pump and/or filter. I hope that is under my GMPP just in case!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

since 1996 ALL in ground fuel tanks were MANDATED to be replaced by the EPA. the steel tanks would rust and let fuel into the ground, contaminating the ground water and polluting it.fiberglass fuel storage tanks were installed then and ever since. or they could not sell fuel in the usa. since then, fuel has been very clean. if you have a problem from filters being plugged, better contact your fuel dealer and let him pay for fixing it. contamination is not the problem it once was.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Very Interesting thread. Thank you!. Am looking at the pump replacement thing to budget for labor to see if it is worth to upgrade fuel pump for the new Edel. E-force SC. Watched a clip with Mr. Edelbrock himself claiming the fuel pump replacement is a two day job.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO this is an idiotic move by GM.
What if an unsuspecting Corvette owner gets a bad tank of fuel?
You can buy the best fuel for your car, but can't see the condition of it when it's going in or know what the state of the gas stations fuel tanks are in.
So, one bad tank of gas could be 1000's of dollars to fix, versus changing a $10 or $20 dollar in line filter. What....are you going to take the gas station owner to small claims court for the damage and repairs done? How would you prove it?
No amount of rationalization or BS can make me think that this is a good idea.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I dont understand why a fuel filter would be placed in the tank and not along the fuel lines where it's easier to get at like other cars.

Guess the dealers just want you bringing it in if it needs changing.
because with todays fuels and gas stations, if you opened a modern gas pump you would see two big filters that the gas goes through BEFORE it goes in your car, nowadays gas is really clean! as long as you get your gas a GOOD station not some indy station where the owners look like they just got off the boat from the third world, these filters are changed often, inside your tank the fuel pump in surrounded by a VERY fine SS screen there is enuff surface area that you would have to put a bucket of dirt in the tank to clog it, the pump will go out before the screen does and then you can put a new one in
Old 12-24-2009, 02:11 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Very Interesting thread. Thank you!. Am looking at the pump replacement thing to budget for labor to see if it is worth to upgrade fuel pump for the new Edel. E-force SC. Watched a clip with Mr. Edelbrock himself claiming the fuel pump replacement is a two day job.
i wonder why Edelbrock doesn't use this? they work great.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories...boostapump.htm
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Huh?

Fuel filter rode inline near/above the cat mounted on the passenger side frame, there was a heat shield. Changed enough of them to know.

Now, there may have been one in the tank as well, but in almost 500,000 miles (four cars) I never had to change one.
oops! right! was thinking of fuel PUMP. :o my post deleted due to brain slippage.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BSE1956
IMO this is an idiotic move by GM.
What if an unsuspecting Corvette owner gets a bad tank of fuel?
You can buy the best fuel for your car, but can't see the condition of it when it's going in or know what the state of the gas stations fuel tanks are in.
So, one bad tank of gas could be 1000's of dollars to fix, versus changing a $10 or $20 dollar in line filter. What....are you going to take the gas station owner to small claims court for the damage and repairs done? How would you prove it?
No amount of rationalization or BS can make me think that this is a good idea.

I can't see any significant advantage to the owner by having this system, but GM probably saved about 50 cents per car by having the filter buried in the tank.

This is the kind of penny-pinching that has gottem them such a bad reputation.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

I can't see any significant advantage to the owner by having this system, but GM probably saved about 50 cents per car by having the filter buried in the tank.

This is the kind of penny-pinching that has gottem them such a bad reputation.
In GM's defence this was mandated by the EPA as a means of decreasing fuel leaks (vapor from the external fittings).
It's just another example of green gone bad
Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 PM
MagneticRedC6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I dont understand why a fuel filter would be placed in the tank and not along the fuel lines where it's easier to get at like other cars.

Guess the dealers just want you bringing it in if it needs changing.
I bet you it is still cheaper with the Vette than replacing one in any Jaguar or Porsche. I don't know this is true, I just have a feeling from past experiences.

Another reason I'm a Proud American:
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny to read all the posts about "well, you shouldn't ever have to change it". You shouldnt ever need to replace your windshield either. There's no maintenance interval for that one. However, something tells me thousands of new ones are installed every year.

Anyways, I've got zero pressure at my fuel rail all of a sudden, and the car started up fine and normal last time it was parked in January. Now getting ready to pull it out, and the tank likely has to be dropped.

Just because GM doesn't think it should ever need maintenance, doesn't mean that it can't or won't. Because mine does, and I'm well out of warranty. I imagine I'm not the only guy, either.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by bosco 08
i probably won't own the car long enough to have to worry about a fuel filter
me too
Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by CH-Z51
This is why I only use top tier gasoline and a fuel system cleaner prior to each oil change. (once a year).
I also try to use gas from stations that I know have recently had the old storage tanks pulled out and new ones installed. Ive seen the crap that comes out of those 50 year old steel tanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 AM
V8 Bike
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a post of from 2008 about fuel filters. It had a diagram of the fuel system on a Corvette. I'm building a S-10 with a LS motor and fabricating my own fuel cell. I bought a 2007 Z06 fuel pump. I have a question. There is a 5/16 hose barb on the filter housing that goes no where but seems to me would leak off all my fuel pressure unless plugged. In your diagram it looks like it's intended use flowed fuel to the right tank's pump and secondary fuel pressure regulator before returning to the pump in the left tank. Do you think I could just plug it without causing problems? It looks like there is a primary fuel pressure regulator in the left tank pump (that I have). It also looks like it might dump the extra fuel/pressure into the pump canister and not need the returning fuel to function properly. I'm assuming that by plugging that filter hose barb that all will be fine but you seem knowledgeable in this area and would appreciate your input. Thanks, xwnb32d@hotmail.com
Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would suspect it is because they don't need to be changed all that often. Fuel delivery systems have come a long way. Fuel in general has come a long way towards limiting the types of contaminants that may be introduced to the fuel system. Here is the image from the service manual:

And most newer modern stations have very good filtration systems and venting to reduce condensation as well as fibergalss tanks instead of the older cast iron tanks of yesteryear

Quick Reply: Ever have to change the fuel filter in the C6?