C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 vs GTR vs VIPER ACR at the ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
viperrx7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 vs GTR vs VIPER ACR at the ring

Just saw this at motortrend.com

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ord/index.html
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone will eventually push the envelope harder and run faster in a ZR1. All three are fantastic cars, no doubt.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli
Someone will eventually push the envelope harder and run faster in a ZR1. All three are fantastic cars, no doubt.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Icewind Dale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the Viper only broke the time AFTER being tuned otherwise he was way behind the time. I wonder if the Vette was given the same opportunity?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Is he hitting the rev limiter as much as it sounds like he is? Sounds like he is just standing on the limiter several times rather than shift on the short straights.......also, you can see how much the shifter handle is torqueing over with the engine...what a crude piece of machinery...fast, but crude........the V10 sounds like a garbage compactor....
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that gets me is the driver for the ZR1 was Jim Mero, a GM engineer. NOT a professional race car driver like the people that had piloted the Viper or the GTR. I believe the times could be reduced dramatically with a professional driver.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
The thing that gets me is the driver for the ZR1 was Jim Mero, a GM engineer. NOT a professional race car driver like the people that had piloted the Viper or the GTR. I believe the times could be reduced dramatically with a professional driver.
Mero is a professional, just a name you may not recognize. I agree that someone like Jan Magnussen or Johnny O' could knock a couple of seconds off possibly. The biggest difference is that the ZR1 is on runflat street tires and the ACR is on Pilot sport cups an R compound. The sport cups are worth at least 5 seconds and probably much more on a course as long as the Nring. I'm pretty sure the ZR1 is much more at home on a daily commute than the ACR is.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
mattc6z51
Instructor

Looks like he was having trouble finding the right gear on a coupe shifts, I bet that slowed down his lap times.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
mattc6z51
Instructor

I'm sure it's been posted but here's the ZR1 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o
Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GT-R is 600 pounds heavier than the ZR1 and also makes substantially less power. It enjoys no aero advantage over the ZR1 in terms of drag.

Assuming the track is dry, the GT-R's AWD provides no real advantage in anything other than the absolute tightest of turns.

As much as I love all C6's, the GT-R's chassis tuning MUST be substantially superior to the ZR1's, since that's the only variable that's left.

The Viper's chassis is inferior to the C6's and has been since it's inception.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
Well, he sure has a dream job doesn't he? He seemed to be pretty much in control to me. I like the real time telemetry. A pulse and respiration reading would be fun to see. What a blast. What a job. I'm jealous.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Well, he sure has a dream job doesn't he? He seemed to be pretty much in control to me. I like the real time telemetry. A pulse and respiration reading would be fun to see. What a blast. What a job. I'm jealous.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Records are made to be broken.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

While I love the VIPER ACR, and if I had that kind of money would even consider buying one over a zr1. I think the record is downright meaningless. I hate how they insist on changing suspension on every single event they do.

Am I the only one that see's this as NOT STOCK, and complete BS. You cannot modify the a car like that. Thats like GM reflashing/re-tuning the ZR1 cpu to maximize torque curve and power for the specific event everytime. I really wonder why no-one ever brings this up... happened in many magazines already that claim the ACR is all mighty and unbeatable.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle0k
While I love the VIPER ACR, and if I had that kind of money would even consider buying one over a zr1. I think the record is downright meaningless. I hate how they insist on changing suspension on every single event they do.

Am I the only one that see's this as NOT STOCK, and complete BS. You cannot modify the a car like that. Thats like GM reflashing/re-tuning the ZR1 cpu to maximize torque curve and power for the specific event everytime. I really wonder why no-one ever brings this up... happened in many magazines already that claim the ACR is all mighty and unbeatable.
The ACR comes from the factory with adjustable coilovers. I dont see the problem.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

If the ZR1 could speak it would say, "I'll be back" with a thick Austrian accent.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6400hp
The ACR comes from the factory with adjustable coilovers. I dont see the problem.
Yea, corvettes come with adjustable height, and I'm sure changing the height for each event could have a slight benefit depending on the event.

Its not like selecting different modes, or even inputting some data into a CPU, its physically having a suspension team optimize your car for certain events. Dunno, not saying its completely wrong or that I'm right, I just don't think its right, unless its something built into the car,like sports modes that the car adjusts itself.... Since we ARE talking about road cars, not track cars. I guess I see these types of events as representation of how much performance you get by buying a car and not messing with it at all. Since this is comparing road cars... If it was comparing track cars, then thats a different story.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs GTR vs VIPER ACR at the ring

Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyle0k
Yea, corvettes come with adjustable height, and I'm sure changing the height for each event could have a slight benefit depending on the event.
Which Corvettes come with adjustable height?

The only GM performance car that I'm aware that came with manually adjustable shocks (compression and rebound) were the '97+ 1LE F-bodies, which got double adjustable Koni Yellows straight from the factory.

NO OEM Corvette comes with dampers that good.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
Which Corvettes come with adjustable height?

The only GM performance car that I'm aware that came with manually adjustable shocks (compression and rebound) were the '97+ 1LE F-bodies, which got double adjustable Koni Yellows straight from the factory.

NO OEM Corvette comes with dampers that good.
ALL C6 CORVETTES have adjustable height stock. There are posts all day everyday on how to lower your car.

No C6 Corvette comes stock with adjustable shocks.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Mero is a professional, just a name you may not recognize. I agree that someone like Jan Magnussen or Johnny O' could knock a couple of seconds off possibly. The biggest difference is that the ZR1 is on runflat street tires and the ACR is on Pilot sport cups an R compound. The sport cups are worth at least 5 seconds and probably much more on a course as long as the Nring. I'm pretty sure the ZR1 is much more at home on a daily commute than the ACR is.

That was the biggest factor. Chevy should create a competition option for the Corvette to fight against other manufacturers. Of course the mags would rip the Corvette for tire wear then.

Quick Reply: ZR1 vs GTR vs VIPER ACR at the ring