C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 manual service column lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Fabricius
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 manual service column lock

Ok, so here's my story, my battery went bad so I replaced it. Now I randomly get a service column lock message when I try to start my car and it won't start. It seems to be pretty random but happens more when the weather is hot outside.

The dealership said they have codes now that the service column lock module is bad and needs to be replaced, costing an arm and a leg. I have also heard that this is not not a real problem, just a code that is thrown out when you get a bad battery sometimes.

So, now I'm just wondering if I'd be able to get a service column lock module and replace it myself saving money, or if it's just a bad code or what is the real problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search. its been discussed a lot. i had my column lock replaced (under warranty) and its been almost 2 years with no further problems. seems like most problems are caused by bad batteries but some of us it was a bad lock. good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

THERE'S A COLUMN LOCK RECALL,or was anyway.Don't know if it's still around.C5'S had it bad and 05 c6's a little.I'd raise holy hell before I paid them a dime for this.It's a GM thing since way back.There is at the very least TSB's up the wazoo on this isuue.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Fabricius
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was no recall on the c6's, only the c5's. Has anyone replaced this on their own with any luck?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can replace the module yourself (involves pulling the dash apart), but it has to be "set up" with a Tech II as it interfaces with the security system. I have had this problem myself. Only when the temperature inside the car gets above about 90 degrees, the message pops up. Jerking on the steering wheel will get it to start.

This can be somewhat mitigated by leaving the top off or utilizing a sunshade. I'm going to buy the module from Gene and have the dealer reprogram it when I get the time.

Several 2005 owners have reported this issue, and the column lock module is the culprit.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 manual service column lock

Quick Reply: 2005 manual service column lock