C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPOD PAL? Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by ClovisFox
I take it that the C6 PAL is no longer a priority at GM...

Gene...
Gene,

I can't speak to priorities at all but I know that it was still being worked on as late as the first of this month. Prior to the prototype getting presented the target for implementation was October of this year but I'd bet that that date will come and go with everything else that is going on.

I need a healthy GM and a Corvette design team in tact a whole lot more than I need a PAL.

The car didn't have one when I bought it. I can live with the fact that it still doesn't. I sure would like one but that is as far as I'm willing to get worked up over it. Understanding the issues that Denso presents regarding the Corvette unit as well as the relative age of the communication architecture and the in service date of this particular navigation system I can't say that I'm surprised.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
SB60
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Best bud is in the custom audio (home) business; he grumbles that much of this is due to Apple being so secretive. Apple absolutely refuses to provide the necessary tech info for companies to build interfaces, etc., to integrate their products with Apple products.

Maybe that's why Micrslowsoft's zune is catching up to the Ipod.
That maybe true but I installed a Kenwood 8120 that allows the iPod to be controlled via the Kenwood's touch screen. The best convenience mod I've ever done was to install this system.

I had the factory nav unit in my 05, my 07 Z06 came with the 6 disc changer. I switched to the Kenwood and now have a Garmin nav unit built in that is programmable while the car is moving plus it plays DVD's and my iPod. I now have over 500 CD's and music video's at a fingers touch whenever I drive. I even hooked up a rear view camera!

By the time GM gets around to making an interface for the factory nav, there will be something new on the market!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ClovisFox
I take it that the C6 PAL is no longer a priority at GM...

Gene...
Was it ever?

Just venting - not sure if my 2005 will ever see the day!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SB60
That maybe true but I installed a Kenwood 8120 that allows the iPod to be controlled via the Kenwood's touch screen. The best convenience mod I've ever done was to install this system.

I had the factory nav unit in my 05, my 07 Z06 came with the 6 disc changer. I switched to the Kenwood and now have a Garmin nav unit built in that is programmable while the car is moving plus it plays DVD's and my iPod. I now have over 500 CD's and music video's at a fingers touch whenever I drive. I even hooked up a rear view camera!

By the time GM gets around to making an interface for the factory nav,there will be something new on the market!
I.M.H.O. if GM is still pushing CD changers(old tech) I doubt that they are serious working on a iPod interface! That would be brand specific(Apple) where as the current (headphone) jack can work with several brands of mp3 players and cell phones...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 PM
ClovisFox
Drifting

Originally Posted by talon90
Gene,

I can't speak to priorities at all but I know that it was still being worked on as late as the first of this month. Prior to the prototype getting presented the target for implementation was October of this year but I'd bet that that date will come and go with everything else that is going on.

I need a healthy GM and a Corvette design team in tact a whole lot more than I need a PAL.

The car didn't have one when I bought it. I can live with the fact that it still doesn't. I sure would like one but that is as far as I'm willing to get worked up over it. Understanding the issues that Denso presents regarding the Corvette unit as well as the relative age of the communication architecture and the in service date of this particular navigation system I can't say that I'm surprised.
Hi Paul,
I fully understand your point. Next month I am facing the expiration of my 1st year subscription to XM and I really do not want to renew it. So I am trying to decide, wait for PAL, go with another off brand interface, or replace my XM receiver with a SIRIUS receiver. I keep hearing about PAL being one or two quarters away, but the release just never seems to get here. I hate to purchase an off brand IPOD interface, but it is looking like that is the direction I will be going.

Thanks for your input...

Gene...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Chipps
Instructor

There is no hope of this product ever arriving.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM
beltfed21
Racer

Originally Posted by ryoder
Can you post a picture of how the PAC-11 hooks up to the stereo? Does it come with a dock?
It's all buried. It's real clean an simple. The unit has a cable that replaces one of the XM receiver cables and also plugs a jumper into the radio cable between the receiver and radio. No need to get into the dash to hook into the radio there. Yes, it has a cable with the flat plug that goes into the bottom of the Ipod. It was a little short for where I wanted to put the ipod, but I found a company that now sells a extender cable in 2' and 6' lengths. Do a google search on the unit and you can find copies of the instructions.

Beltfed21
Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gene,

Any firm that has enough useless overhead to fiddle around with changing shades of silver paint, marketing new mud flaps, and on and on, has enough resources to honor its commitments to its customers.

Over two years ago, GM began taking almost $2,000 from many Corvette buyers to dump a navigation radio with obsolete features on its Corvette customers with the false and misleading representation that the PAL would be available to remedy certain of the unit's deficiencies, all with full knowledge of the architecture of their communication systems. Many would consider that to be a fraud.

Honest businessmen simply do not conduct business that way.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Yikes! I may have to rethink wanting the OEM Nav - I really liked the idea of HUD integration and a [big] plus, especially for a Vert, is the OEM setup probably isn't much of a theft target.

However, solid iPOD/MP3 integration may trump both of those. I want to be able to see all the ID tag info, have playlists and full touch control interface to my POD.

Maybe I'll save a few $$$ up front and add a nice AVIC unit later - do the '09 non-nav headunits recognize MP3's on a standard CD? (That would at least increase the single disk music capacity by a good 7X or more).
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by DT
Yikes! I may have to rethink wanting the OEM Nav - I really liked the idea of HUD integration and a [big] plus, especially for a Vert, is the OEM setup probably isn't much of a theft target.

However, solid iPOD/MP3 integration may trump both of those. I want to be able to see all the ID tag info, have playlists and full touch control interface to my POD.

Maybe I'll save a few $$$ up front and add a nice AVIC unit later - do the '09 non-nav headunits recognize MP3's on a standard CD? (That would at least increase the single disk music capacity by a good 7X or more).
Yes. The '09 Nav unit also recognizes MP3's on a standard CD. That gives you 100 plus MP3 songs at your disposal with ID tags.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm going with this from Coastaletech. I have the lockpicks and iPod adapters in my other cars and they work great.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by c6am
I'm going with this from Coastaletech. I have the lockpicks and iPod adapters in my other cars and they work great.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm
Do post back with your results. I've unfortunately read as many horror stories and failures as I have success stories with the various aftermarket units.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Do post back with your results. I've unfortunately read as many horror stories and failures as I have success stories with the various aftermarket units.
I definitely will. So far, the other lockpicks and iPOD adapters are working fine, and very good I might add.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by c6am
I definitely will. So far, the other lockpicks and iPOD adapters are working fine, and very good I might add.
I agree, I've heard good things about them as well. The problem is not the Lockpick, it is the Corvette interface.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
SaintsFan
Intermediate

Testing to be done? Heck make a few more prototypes and send them to us. We would all be happy to be beta testers. This really unbelievable, that Chevrolet would take this long to complete this. Aside from that, to me it would be common sense to at least provide an auxiliary jack in this day and age.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Hey at least the Camaro won't have the crappy Blowz audio system. Folks hated them in the 85's when I had one in my IROC and GM is STILL using their crappy technology 23 years later. Maybe there's hope for the C7 to use something else.

It's hard not to complain on some of this stuff.

Why does it take GM forever to do basic things that every other car mfr (at least foreign) gets out in notime?

Three years after the model comes out for a simple set of mudflaps? Hell the Ipod will be obsolete by the time GM cars can use it.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Hey at least the Camaro won't have the crappy Blowz audio system. Folks hated them in the 85's when I had one in my IROC and GM is STILL using their crappy technology 23 years later. Maybe there's hope for the C7 to use something else.

It's hard not to complain on some of this stuff.

Why does it take GM forever to do basic things that every other car mfr (at least foreign) gets out in notime?

Three years after the model comes out for a simple set of mudflaps? Hell the Ipod will be obsolete by the time GM cars can use it.
We'll be streaming music from our home computers into the car over WiFi/ WiMax... instead of listening to a loop of the same songs all day on satellite radio.

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 10-04-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To iPOD PAL? Yet?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought and installed a LockPick adapter a couple of weeks ago in my 2009 Coupe with Nav system. It works pretty good. Installation was fairly easy (no need to remove the dash). I can change between all of my playlists from the Nav screen. If your iPod is set to shuffle songs, it will continue to shuffle songs. It appears to the radio as an XM station. It shows the artist and song name at the start of each song. It sounds good and beats waiting for GM's version. Only issues I have seen with it are that I don't think I can get to my podcasts and I need to reselect it each time I turn the car on again. I'm 95% satisfied with it and it sure beats any FM tuner solution. If the GM PAL ever comes out, I may switch it out if the PAL is better. Until then, I'm enjoying my tunes!

- Mark
Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

The best thing about SAT radio is FoxNews! I get to listen on the way to and from work and get fair and balanced election coverage with both sides of the debate.

I agree that the music is replayed a lot.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:51 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
I bought and installed a LockPick adapter a couple of weeks ago in my 2009 Coupe with Nav system. It works pretty good. Installation was fairly easy (no need to remove the dash). I can change between all of my playlists from the Nav screen. If your iPod is set to shuffle songs, it will continue to shuffle songs. It appears to the radio as an XM station. It shows the artist and song name at the start of each song. It sounds good and beats waiting for GM's version. Only issues I have seen with it are that I don't think I can get to my podcasts and I need to reselect it each time I turn the car on again. I'm 95% satisfied with it and it sure beats any FM tuner solution. If the GM PAL ever comes out, I may switch it out if the PAL is better. Until then, I'm enjoying my tunes!

- Mark
Glad to hear. I am ordering mine this week. I'll let you know how I make out.

Quick Reply: iPOD PAL? Yet?