C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of Corvette-Anybody Read This Yet?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future of Corvette-Anybody Read This Yet?

This story was forwarded to me. I thought members might find it of interest. Dan

From AutoWeek Online - 10/17/08:
Note ... Tom Wallace on the 2010 Corvette: "There are changes, some neat stuff, coming for 2010 that I can't talk about yet."
"C7 on hold--How long must fans wait for a new Corvette?
By MAC MORRISON

2009 Chevrolet CorvetteCorvette Racing's C6.R won the American Le Mans Series' inaugural Green Challenge competition at Petit Le Mans, but General Motors' troubles with the type of green that really matters have thrown the Corvette's future into disarray.

Multiple sources confirm that the General's financial crisis has led the company to put whatever plans it had for the next-generation Corvette on indefinite hold, with no official or set timetable.

In this climate--we've even heard tales of janitors removing lightbulbs from corporate headquarters in an effort to save money--not only is an all-new C7 now more than just a few years away, but even a significantly refreshed or upgraded C6 looks unlikely to appear anytime soon.

One version of the story says that when the decision was made to shelve the C7 for the time being, a plan was suggested to upgrade the C6 significantly in 2012 as a '13 model. Today's Corvette would be eight years old at that point and as much as 12 years old by the time the upgraded car was finally phased out in favor of the C7. Had this occurred, the C6 would have gone down as tied with the C4 generation as the second-longest-serving model in Corvette history. As things stand, multiple sources say this idea also is dead.

Perhaps the most disconcerting thing for fans is not that a new car has been delayed but that GM leadership does not appear to have a clear roadmap for the Corvette's future. On the other hand, no one has suggested that the model is in danger of becoming extinct. While the Corvette is the most visible GM product to enthusiasts and therefore the subject of much speculation, the fact is that GM's entire product port-folio was under review as of press time.

"Whether [you are talking about] the C6 or C7, I'm not going to comment on future product [specifics], including engines or any of that," Corvette vehicle-line executive Tom Wallace told AutoWeek. "We're still working on future Corvettes, but the scope of change is not yet decided. There are changes, some neat stuff, coming for 2010 that I can't talk about yet."

However, Wallace did not imply that those changes would cause anyone to consider the 2010 C6 to be a new car. He also denied that there ever was a specific year targeted for the C7's launch. And he acknowledged that new-in-2007 federal standards pushing corporate average fuel economy to 35 mpg by 2020 are playing a role in determining the layout and hardware of the next-generation Corvette but stressed that the issue "hasn't inhibited Corvettes. No one is saying we're not doing Corvettes. We're still bullish on Corvettes."

Asked whether there was any chance that the car could die, Wallace was emphatic. "No way," he said.

But with the next car's characteristics not even decided and GM in financial disarray, we don't anticipate the next incarnation of America's sports car to bow before 2014--and we won't be surprised if that estimate turns out to be optimistic."
Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I read the article one thing seems certain there will be a Corvette in the future, but how big, how powerful, etc. nobody seems to know, or want to say.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Interesting!

GM has been taking a pounding for too long.....they are now knocking on bankrupcy's door. They spent too much time and money on the big trucks and SUVs and that has cost them dearly. They ignored the golden rule in investment....D-I-V-E-R-S-I-F-Y!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Chipps
Instructor

Yes, very interesting. I expect a completely different approach to the C7 whenever it does appear, but still fundamentally a Corvette

I wonder what this 2010 upgrade will include?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

AutoWeek is a good source of info, and not just some wild journalistic style. Still, a person speaking as an authority at GM, just doesn't have much credibility today.

Think about it for just a minute: the largest corporation in this country is worth under $3 billion based on stock value. And not one person, or group of people inside the company can figure out a way to fix the company fast. Keyword: FAST.

Therefore, there really is no prediction about Corvette, or GM for that matter that really counts for much coming from the inside. Wasting time, money and effort to merge with/acquire another bankrupt company is truly serious malfeasance.

That's my 2 cents. Someone can trump it with another nickel.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Thanks for the post. I wonder what Tom has up his sleeve for 2010?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Having just bought an '08 I'm glad that the current style will be around for quite a few more years.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Markss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Last week JD Power said that the US auto industry was going to colapse in 2009!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default One can only hope!

One change for 2010 I would like is the A6 option on the Z06 along with the removable top. They would sell "a bunch of em".
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Dixievet
Race Director

CI 7, 9, 10 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by bigearl56
One change for 2010 I would like is the A6 option on the Z06 along with the removable top. They would sell "a bunch of em".
Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe for 2010 Tom should figure out how to get iPod integration into their "Flagship" vehicle.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
AutoWeek is a good source of info, and not just some wild journalistic style. Still, a person speaking as an authority at GM, just doesn't have much credibility today.

Think about it for just a minute: the largest corporation in this country is worth under $3 billion based on stock value. And not one person, or group of people inside the company can figure out a way to fix the company fast. Keyword: FAST.

Therefore, there really is no prediction about Corvette, or GM for that matter that really counts for much coming from the inside. Wasting time, money and effort to merge with/acquire another bankrupt company is truly serious malfeasance.

That's my 2 cents. Someone can trump it with another nickel.
They tried to hold on too long to their SUV line. Look how long it has taken them to come up with the Camaro. As a corporation it does appear GM is slow to react to market shifts. Probably still writing memos with an IBM Selectric.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a purchase of Chrysler a possible consideration, I think I would wait and see how to best handle a future C7. A lot of unknowns right now, and a whole lot of options for them to consider. They could own the two flagship U.S. "exotic" type sports cars in the Vette and Viper.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasta
Thanks for the post. I wonder what Tom has up his sleeve for 2010?

Another story on iPod PALs.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Cal Vert Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodyC6
With a purchase of Chrysler a possible consideration, I think I would wait and see how to best handle a future C7. A lot of unknowns right now, and a whole lot of options for them to consider. They could own the two flagship U.S. "exotic" type sports cars in the Vette and Viper.
I don't know about own, the words I'm reading say merger, not purchase. Merger means unifacation, or joining. That leads me to believe that there will some control left with people from Chrysler.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I too am wondering about the "neat stuff" for 2010.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To Future of Corvette-Anybody Read This Yet?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
Having just bought an '08 I'm glad that the current style will be around for quite a few more years.
As the owner of one of the first 2005s, I'm thinking the same thing. Never was a big fan of planned obsolescence.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
As the owner of one of the first 2005s, I'm thinking the same thing. Never was a big fan of planned obsolescence.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
The problem is that history shows that after a few years with no changes, sales fall and must be propped up with big incentives. At the end of the C4 run, they could be bought 11,000 below MSRP - I bought a 1994 that listed for about 39,000 for 28,600. That is not good for any of us because it kills resale value. It could also kill the Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of Corvette-Anybody Read This Yet?